Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sound on Sound review for MS-20M & SQ-1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steinberger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Sound on Sound review for MS-20M & SQ-1 Reply with quote

I just noticed this was in the May issue.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may15/articles/korg-ms20m-sq1.htm

Overall it's a favorable review. He missed the mark on a Con for the SQ-1 "No MIDI Input" which is incorrect for USB. In my tireless efforts to correct the entire Internet I posted the following to one of the review editors. Smile

Beg Message:
Just purchased Paul's excellent article on my new baby. There's a couple of small discrepancies regarding the MIDI capabilities of the SQ-1 and he probably needs to dig some more to find it. I had to!

1. Over USB there IS MIDI In and Out. By default the A section is on MIDI ch 1 and the B section is on MIDI ch 2. If he just read that he's probably already running out of your office to check for the next item which is.....

2. Leveraging a MIDI keyboard controller and item 1, the SQ-1 makes a simply awesome little MIDI to CV converter.

3. Leveraging a MIDI keyboard controller and item 1 on both the MS-20M and SQ-1 as well as CV/Gate from the SQ-1 to the MS-20M provides mind boggling modulation possibilities.

So the reasons for the bundling of the two are of no mystery at all as soon as you play with them this way. It's the MS-20 everyone has been waiting for whether they know it, like it or not. I swear the people that work for Korg also work for Santa Claus and giggle happily throughout their work day as they imagine our faces lighting up with excitement when we discover something new and hidden in plain sight.

P.S. I apologize for Paul's sudden and extended lunch break. Those expense reports are just going to have to wait.
End Message:
Steve GG

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOS are a bit late to the party with this aren't they?

I've had the MS20-M and SQ-1 kit since mid April. I thought these guys had preview models to review.

The MS20-M a pure joy. I can't really fault it at all. If you're into pure analogue synthesis, you won't be disappointed. The build quality and solidity is in another league compared the the MS20 Mini. The extra sound creation possibilities (especially voltage controlled PWM) make it so much more versatile than the Mini or the MS20 Keyboard kit (or the original MS20).

You lose independent voltage control of VCO2, which is a shame, but you do get a 1v/Oct CV input (at last).

My opinions of the SQ-1 are not so good. It's a great little sequencer but mine has a fault and is going backwards and forwards between Korg and me at the moment. I wish they'd just replace the thing but they want to understand the exact nature of the fault and I can't blame them for that. Korg tech support are very good. They do really care about what's wrong with a product.
jbl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed you seem something of an the midi side of this thing(to op), so I was wondering if you could answer something for me?
I read somewhere else that midi in being used (USB sync) will nullify any midi commands as a controller, is this true? Also, if I use sync in from a volca, will the sq-1 send midi out to a mono synth?
Steinberger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, In a fight, which one wins?

CV/Gate vs MIDI:
When you connect CV/Gate cables to the input of any MS-20 that has MIDI I/O and another controller or sequencer to the USB or Din, the MS-20x basically ignore MIDI note for the pitch but DO trigger. So what you're going to have is pitch controlled by the CV, trigger controlled by the Gate and MIDI is going to come in too also hitting only the trigger.

Winner: CV/Gate but MIDI still allowed to trigger too.

MIDI USB vs MIDI DIN:
I had two sequencers, one over USB and one over Din playing to the MS-20m at the same time. All notes from both sequencers where being processed.

Winner: Both... or Neither depending on your purpose. If your purpose is to make a lot of chaos and noise, everybody wins Smile

Volca SQ-1 sync:
Yes. If you sync out from Volca to sync in to SQ-1 the SQ-1 will echo its clock signal out over MIDI as well as its other MIDI messages. I did this with a Volca Beats.
jbl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
I've got a beats too and that's what I was hoping. Since I can set bpm with beats (or something else sent via midi to the beats) then I can use the sq-1 to send midi and cv at the same time while in sync with everything else. This will actually be very useful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG MS20 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: