Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Roland Boutique
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys! Yes, it's all about the sound quality and realtime control. Don't mean to hijack this thread, so just a couple more questions that were not answered on Roland's site.

How straightforward is it to save tweaked and untweaked sounds in a favorites area for organized searching? With 6,000 sounds, finding my favorites could be a daunting task.

How straight forward is it to map controllers?

I had an XS7, never again will I spend creative time dealing with such user unfriendliness!
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately - they do look like the same keybed as System-1.

Nevertheless, they are taking a big risk here - as they did with the TR-8 which largely paid off because its sound is solid - so if these faithfully recreate the sound of the originals, they may be worth considering.

And remember - System-1 lead to System-1m - so if they are successful in this format, they may release a 19" rack version.

So go easy on them !!!

I have to say however, the Juno106 was my first synthesiser, and I know it extremely well. The combination of DCO's and VCF's places it in the same sonic territory as the PPG. I'm serious about that. It's the stability of digital oscillators and character of VCF's (and Voltage Envelopes) what creates a particular sound.

Critically - the sound I'm talking about cannot be recreated using VCOs and VCFs because the VCO tuning is not stable enough; nor can it be recreated using digital filters of any kind - they do not have the character. Roland released a set of Juno106 sounds for the Jupiter 80 a while back - and they sounded nothing like a Juno 106.

Don't get me wrong they do sound excellent - because the Supernatural Synth engine in the JP80 is particularly good - especially its filters - I absolutely adore the JP80 VA filters - they are broad, velvety smooth, deep and huge in character. Its just - they don't sound like a Jun 106 so Roland struggled to emulate it with that JP80 set.

so it will be interesting to see what configuration their new Juno 106 has - where within a few seconds it will be possible to determine whether it faithfully reproduces the original, or just offers a superficial 'nod' to it.
DodgingRain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These need to be true analog using tech taken from the JD-XA. If they are analog modeled using analog they could be killers. If they are digital they should have just been plugins to ARIA. I won't waste money on them if they are digital.

Korg is doing analog re-issues, maybe roland just caught up? Laughing
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like TR-8, I'd reckon they are VA's.

It's the only way to try to recreate the sound (whether successful or not).

As 'authentic' as analogue is, I'm afraid there are so many variables and it would be near impossible to get modern analogue to sound like analogue from the 80's.

Moog is a case in point - to recreate their new Moog55's they had to use components as used in the originals and they were in short supply - hence the limited number made. Meanwhile the Little Phatty and Voyager do not sound like original moogs (at least my LittlePhatty, as good as it is, does not sound particularly like a moog to me).

Given the success of TR-8 and the plugouts, I'd bet these are VA's
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Boutique" - Hideous name... hopping on the FX/Eurorack bandwagon.

I should imagine these are obviously DSP based recreations. One of them looks suspiciously like it could be a JP8, but pairing it with a two octave keyboard (probably full size, but low profile like the System 1)?

EDIT - Ha! It's a module with optional keyboard - Thank you Roland Smile

Last edited by Broadwave on Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How straightforward is it to save tweaked and untweaked sounds in a favorites area for organized searching? With 6,000 sounds, finding my favorites could be a daunting task.

Like any Module there is a certain amount of button pressing and spinning the dial. Generally speaking though I don't personally find it any easier or more difficult compared to any other rack unit I've owned. For me it's the same amount of effort as always to get around.

That being said, there's a PC and MAC Editor that makes this very easy and you don't have to touch the rack at all.

What is excellent though is the free iPad app Roland have. If you have an iPad, this app is a must have item. It makes operating the Integra 7 childs play and lightening fast.

If you do indeed have an iPad, download the app now and take a look. You don't need the Integra connected to try it out.

Quote:
How straight forward is it to map controllers?

I'd have to get back to you on that because it's been a long time since I've ever had the need to do that. By default Roland are using all the common CC values everyone else is, so there was for me almost nothing to change when I first connected the Integra to my KRONOS.

Regards
Sharp.
DodgingRain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As 'authentic' as analogue is, I'm afraid there are so many variables and it would be near impossible to get modern analogue to sound like analogue from the 80's.

Korg is doing pretty good analog emulations of analog without the original components so it's possible. If it's digital then that just means another half-assed Jupiter 8 emulation. Crying or Very sad
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sharp! I've got an iPad, and a stage classic. You've put the integra on my radar, will research more!
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intriguingly - someone commenting on sonicstate.com suggests that this is just three pictures of one controller - being a polyphonic plugount controller.

If the case - intriguing - and strengthens the case for a similar developmental path to system-1

Edit:

Actually- just looking at Timo's post above suggesting the same thing.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Intriguingly - someone commenting on sonicstate.com suggests that this is just three pictures of one controller - being a polyphonic plugount controller.

If the case - intriguing - and strengthens the case for a similar developmental path to system-1

Edit:

Actually- just looking at Timo's post above suggesting the same thing.

Its Rolands new synth workstation, with An integra7 soundset with sampler and sample memmory and expandable with plugout synths...

Boutique refers to an online shop in which you could buy both Roland plugouts as well as 3rd party plugouts...
chilly7
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No thanks. I do not need this toys.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chilly7 wrote:
No thanks. I do not need this toys.

Wow, noboddy knows what it is, how can you know you dont need it?
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they're three different synths sharing the same form factor.
And the mini keys: it's best to simply see them as part of the new desktop module format.
For playing purposes they are inadequate and I much rather would have full sized proper keys, but I would not automatically qualify a synth as a toy because it has mini keys and it's small.
The Reface CS for instance initially looked like a part of Yamaha's toy collection, but it turns out it has a great sound and a character of its own.

With the strongly increased presence of Roland in the low and mid range I'm left wondering when they once again will come up something in the flagship range, notably a successor to the Fantom series, the last incarnation of which was a huge disappointment.
I also hope Roland took note of the continued interest in and popularity of the V-synth...
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan1 wrote:
And the mini keys: it's best to simply see them as part of the new desktop module format.
For playing purposes they are inadequate and I much rather would have full sized proper keys, but I would not automatically qualify a synth as a toy because it has mini keys and it's small.
The Reface CS for instance initially looked like a part of Yamaha's toy collection, but it turns out it has a great sound and a character of its own.

With the strongly increased presence of Roland in the low and mid range I'm left wondering when they once again will come up something in the flagship range, notably a successor to the Fantom series, the last incarnation of which was a huge disappointment.
I also hope Roland took note of the continued interest in and popularity of the V-synth...

The FA series have a lot to offer for the money..
The Integra 7 is the most complete module ever
The JD-XA series is quite innovative
The RD800 is their best stage piano ever..

What can Yamaha and Korg put up against that when it comes to innovation in the last 4 years?
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Jan1 wrote:

The FA series have a lot to offer for the money..
The Integra 7 is the most complete module ever
The JD-XA series is quite innovative
The RD800 is their best stage piano ever..

What can Yamaha and Korg put up against that when it comes to innovation in the last 4 years?

What do you call innovative?
I can think of a few alternatives when it comes to stage pianos and midrange workstations.
To counter your question, what can Roland put up against a Motif or a KRONOS?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: