Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trinity DRS v 3 Banks A, B, missing Solo?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
geoffd99

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Trinity DRS v 3 Banks A, B, missing Solo? Reply with quote

Hi all
I just got a DRS v3, it has Banks a and B, no Bank S, does this mean the Moss board has been removed?
The Combis are all as per the manual, and so are the A and B banks.

No sign of anything else. The previous owner had no idea.

It sounds great, but I used a Prophecy once and some of those sounds are not here.

Any tips welcome, thanks

I just found this thread

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=94246

which mention reconnecting internally to get the Moss board back online. I might try that. But how does that relate to the Solo banks which (according to here) are v2 not v3?
Thx
Trinity V3 Jo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: HI Man Reply with quote

please open the case Trinity
and check about Main broad and line's connect for this main

regards

Best Keyboard
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Geoff, first of all open up your Trinity and see if you have a SOLO-TRI or MOSS-TRI board in there - or not - then you will know where you stand, before doing anything else.

If there is a MOSS-TRI inside it, the Trinity is called a 'Trinity V3' and requires OS v3.1.2 for the Moss board to be recognised. The Moss sounds should then appear in bank M (not S).

If there is a SOLO-TRI inside it, the Trinity is called a 'Trinity Plus' (not a V3) and requires OS v2.4.1 for the Solo board to be recognised. The Solo sounds should then appear in bank S (not M).

Solo and Moss are not compatible with each other. You have to use the correct OS for either board in order for the sounds to be recognised. If you have a Moss-TRI and try using OS v2.4.1, for example, you wont see the Moss sounds. Conversely, if you have a Solo-TRI and try using OS v3.1.2, you wont see the Solo sounds.

If you do not have a Solo or Moss board inside, for example if the board has been removed, then the Trinity is no longer a 'V3' nor a 'Plus'. However it should still use OS v2.4.1, but it will not have M or S banks available.

Last edited by Timo on Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
ErnstDabest

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the Trinity similar in many ways to the Triton..
Could he not read the the info from the "logo screen" to tell what's installed in there ?

Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily, you need the correct OS to recognise the relevant board (Moss or Solo), but to do that you first need to know what is inside the Trinity - either a Solo or Moss, or nothing at all - in order to install the correct OS to then detect it.

The Triton never had two physical modelling boards to choose from, it had just TRI-MOSS.
geoffd99

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: How to open case / startup Reply with quote

Hi
it just says Trinity v 3.0.0 (see photo) then goes to sounds, Trinity Overture. The manual states a Bank S.

How do I open it? Can only find help online for a Triton.

Thanks all
Geoff

http://recotist.com/start.jpg

http://recotist.com/sound.jpg
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have MOSS-TRI, SCSI-TRI and PBS-TRI hardware options installed. Here's what my boot screen looks like:

The MOSS-TRI board has been detected and is shown as the large 'V3' on the screen, and the SCSI-TRI and PBS-TRI are shown underneath it.

Given that the large "V3" is not shown on your boot screen, it's most likely someone has incorrectly installed OS 3.0.0 without having the required MOSS-TRI board inside. Or, if you do have one, it may be defective or not seated correctly.

Otherwise, the correct OS for Trinitys without a MOSS-TRI board is 2.4.1. Only those with a MOSS-TRI can use OS 3.0.0 and above.

Alternatively, you may have a SOLO-TRI installed in place of the MOSS-TRI instead (OS 3.x.x wouldn't detect the SOLO board as the SOLO board requires OS 2.x.x).

It's easier just to open up your Trinity to see where you stand before you do anything else.

To open up your Trinity, turn it over and prop it up somewhere safe, however be extremely careful of the Trinity's joystick as it sticks out and could be easily damaged if undue force is applied - I tend to prop up the Trinity on a couple of cushions positioned in such as way so the joystick does not touch the floor, nor the cushions nor indeed anything - you do not want any weight nor pressure on that joystick.

Then you can unscrew the screws shown in red, but don't unscrew the blue ones. You can then simply lift the base plate off and take a peek inside.

My Trinity opened up:

It may well look different to yours as I have the MOSS, SCSI and PBS options installed, as labelled:

All you basically need to be concerned with is the location shown in red. If there is a MOSS or SOLO board, it will be in that location, and would be be connected via a single ribbon cable, as shown in the location (in pink). However, in the above picture, you can only see my SCSI board where the Moss should be - the Moss board is in fact underneath the SCSI board, so it is obscured.

If you do have a Solo or Moss board, you would see one of these in that location:

However, if you see something like the following...

.... an empty space, and nothing connected to the ribbon sockets, then you don't have a Moss or Solo card. In this case the Trinity is a stock Trinity (not a V3 nor a Plus), and you should use OS version 2.4.1 for correct compatibility with your machine (not 3.0.0, nor 3.1.2).

Last edited by Timo on Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
geoffd99

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Korg Trinity case open Reply with quote

Hi
Thanks for the advice!

Sadly, no board inside. I have a disk with '2' written on it, that might be a v2 OS, but it seems to be all working OK with the v3.0.0 OS.

It is a DRS which is a v3, as far as I understand it, but perhaps someone removed the S or M card for separate sale. (I bought it off Ebay).

Just checked wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korg_Trinity#Variations

No mention of the DRS option but it is on the front right side see pic.

I might see if I can get a board somewhere but they are rare I think.
Pics:
http://recotist.com/korg-drs-label.jpg
http://recotist.com/open.jpg
http://recotist.com/open-cu.jpg

Thanks again for that screws pic, very useful as no info anywhere else.
Regards Geoff
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries. Smile

All Trinitys are 'DRS' by the way, I believe it stands for Digital Recording Studio (or System), where you have all the modular expansion options available for it and choose between them.

Bummer, though, was hoping at least you might have had a Solo (Prophecy) board in there if you didn't have the Moss (Z1), as OS v3.x.x wouldn't have detected the Solo.

Now we know more, as the machine doesn't have the MOSS-TRI, or it did have but was sold, then unfortunately it's not longer a 'V3'. If you were sold the keyboard under the impression it was a 'V3', then that was erroneous of the seller.

That said, there was usually also a pink-ish coloured "V3" sticker that went above the DRS logo if the synth was sold with a MOSS-TRI inside. http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/korg-trinity-v3-481670.jpg (likewise a Trinity with a Solo-TRI installed was called a Trinity Plus, and had a squiggly pink-ish 'Plus' label above the DRS logo. http://pictures1.kyozou.com/pictures/_18/17723/17722610.jpg )

A 'V3' moniker denotes that a Trinity has both:
a) a MOSS-TRI board installed, and...
b) OS 3.x.x installed

Just having OS 3.x.x installed doesn't make it a V3. You need the MOSS-TRI to go with it!

The correct OS for Trinitys without a MOSS-TRI is OS 2.4.1. Ideally you should use that for maximum compatibility. SOLO-TRI boards should also use this version.

If you later grab a MOSS-TRI, only then should you use OS 3.x.x (OS 3.1.2 is the latest).

Best of luck in your search. Smile
geoffd99

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Cards Reply with quote

Yes it was sold as a v3, but owner said did know much about it.

It sounds great anyway.

I had a Prophecy (ie the Solo card) and didn't like it, although I've previously had Yamaha VL1, VL7, and VL70m so maybe used to something else. The Z1 card is expensive. They don't come up much in UK.

Thanks for all the help, this post is useful generally for people trying to dismantle a Korg Trinity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Trinity All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: