Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Playing Baba O'Riley live

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:03 am    Post subject: Playing Baba O'Riley live Reply with quote

Anyone play Baba O'Riley live without a sequencer (ie. playing all the notes)? How do you do it?

I have a cool combi with Busch's alternate program on one timbre and the upright piano chords triggered by the pads so I could do everything. Unfortunately that means everyone else in the band needs to follow the keyboard sequence which has never happened. (We don't use in-ears and pointing one of my monitors at the drummer doesn't help...) Tap tempo doesn't really work either.

At this point I want to try playing everything live, kind of like this:

Do any of you do that? Do you use both hands to play the lower 16th notes, and do you do the piano chords as well?
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That's petty cool.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
LZ
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos for attempting to play it all, and good luck. I don't play that song, but I do have a few sequences and send the drummer a click track. He uses IEM's so it's pretty simple to send a click out of an Aux output and he mixes it with his monitor mix in his ears. I actually need it the click for a couple songs too and use the Shure IEM's with a 2-channel mixer, so click goes into mine, looped out into his, and we can each mix our own monitor mix in with it. None of the other band members or FOH hear the click. Works pretty well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were to attempt this for live play without sequences or even an arpeggiator, I would look into setting up a sound that used the note off to trigger a double hit, so you would press the key and get your first note then release to get the second note. This way you could just hit 8th notes in the right hand instead of 16th notes. The trills should sound good with the double hit sound also.

This frees up your left hand and brain for the chords when needed. If you wanted or needed to simplify that part you could use the pad function to do one note chords via the touch screen or external controller.

Sometimes shortcuts are needed to keep things sounding good live and at least you're still playing something to keep the human feel there without having to automate it fully.

Just some thoughts based on things I've done in the past. Not sure if it would actually sound good this way, but worth a look
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amosdef wrote:
If I were to attempt this for live play without sequences or even an arpeggiator, I would look into setting up a sound that used the note off to trigger a double hit, so you would press the key and get your first note then release to get the second note. This way you could just hit 8th notes in the right hand instead of 16th notes. The trills should sound good with the double hit sound also.

This frees up your left hand and brain for the chords when needed. If you wanted or needed to simplify that part you could use the pad function to do one note chords via the touch screen or external controller.

Sometimes shortcuts are needed to keep things sounding good live and at least you're still playing something to keep the human feel there without having to automate it fully.

Just some thoughts based on things I've done in the past. Not sure if it would actually sound good this way, but worth a look

Years ago I made a string sound on my old Polysix that did that. I was trying to emulate the sound of the bow going up and down.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
amosdef

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremykeys wrote:

Years ago I made a string sound on my old Polysix that did that. I was trying to emulate the sound of the bow going up and down.

I use it on a shaker sound instead of having to alternate notes for two different shaker samples, it just triggers the second one on release. Works well, especially when playing other parts at the same time. Got a tambourine patch that does that as well.
CEB

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your band need more reps and the drummer needs to listen and be able to hold a tempo.

I had a problem where the song called for LFO modulation of the amp section of the synth to create the mechancial sound of the keyboard part. Drummer played to loud and didn't listen to his band mates. Sounds like you have the same problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: