Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Havian questions

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
brs
Junior Member


Joined: 14 Aug 2007
Posts: 74

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:00 am    Post subject: Havian questions Reply with quote

1. Why is there no Midi on the Havian?

2. When using a Split keyboard, it automatically shifts the octave of the right hand sound lower....why? Is there a way to leave it in the correct octave?

3. There seems to be no way to alter the touch of the keyboard, to make the action heavier or lighter as you can on other keyboards; I see nothing in the manual regarding this.
4. If I choose to only have the drums play instead of incorporating the other instruments in the "styles," how do I set it up so that it stays that way and not revert back to using all the instruments?

5. Does the Havian have a way to play a "fill" pattern whenever I choose to have the fill instead of "automatically." Thanks in advance.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Odanster



Joined: 06 Aug 2015
Posts: 19
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Hope this helps Reply with quote

1. Why is there no Midi on the Havian?

Page 663 of the Manual explains all about midi connection using usb.

2. When using a Split keyboard, it automatically shifts the octave of the right hand sound lower....why? Is there a way to leave it in the correct octave?

Mine does not do that unless defined by a style. You can save things you set into a performance by tapping the top right arrow for the drop down menu and select 'write performance' but you must choose an empty slot or you will overwrite a performance. To change the octave of any of the parts select the Menu button and go to Mixer, you can change a lot of parameters there.

3. There seems to be no way to alter the touch of the keyboard, to make the action heavier or lighter as you can on other keyboards; I see nothing in the manual regarding this.

That is called velocity curve, see page 638 of the full manual.

4. If I choose to only have the drums play instead of incorporating the other instruments in the "styles," how do I set it up so that it stays that way and not revert back to using all the instruments?

Has to be saved as a performance or a style, see answer to question 2 on how to save settings for a performance.

5. Does the Havian have a way to play a "fill" pattern whenever I choose to have the fill instead of "automatically." Thanks in advance.

Not so sure about this one unless you set up what you want and save it or alternatively create your own style. The full manual explains how to do this.

Hope this helps a little.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thoraldus
Platinum Member


Joined: 28 Nov 2010
Posts: 2060
Location: Rocky Mountains - SE IDaho

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Havian questions Reply with quote

brs wrote:
... [SNIP]

5. Does the Havian have a way to play a "fill" pattern whenever I choose to have the fill instead of "automatically." Thanks in advance.


If it works the same as the PA600 to play any fill you need to have Autofill off and simultaneously press the Variation of the fill you want AND the Autofill button.
_________________
”It’s easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.”

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brs
Junior Member


Joined: 14 Aug 2007
Posts: 74

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Havian Reply with quote

Thanking everyone for your reply. With regard to pg. 663 in the Havian Manual, speaking of the USB/Midi, it mentions that SMF files can be read by the Havian in type 0, which is only 1 track; does this mean if I want to edit a song from my Kronos, which has a number of tracks and would require SMF type 1 I believe, that Havian could not do this?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thoraldus
Platinum Member


Joined: 28 Nov 2010
Posts: 2060
Location: Rocky Mountains - SE IDaho

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Havian Reply with quote

brs wrote:
Thanking everyone for your reply. With regard to pg. 663 in the Havian Manual, speaking of the USB/Midi, it mentions that SMF files can be read by the Havian in type 0, which is only 1 track; does this mean if I want to edit a song from my Kronos, which has a number of tracks and would require SMF type 1 I believe, that Havian could not do this?


From Kurzweil web site ...

"Type 1 files contain separate information for each track. For a Type 0 file, however, all the tracks are merged into a single track, although MIDI channel information is still retained. When a Type 0 file is loaded into a sequencer, it will take each channel's information and put it on a separate track. So for a typical sequence with one track per MIDI channel, it will normally not matter if the sequence is saved as Type 0 or Type 1. But if your source sequence has several tracks assigned to the same MIDI channel (for example several drum tracks playing the same program on the same channel, but with an individual drum sound on each track), then it is best to export it as a Type 1 file. If exported as Type 0, all tracks assigned to the same channel will be merged into a single track when the .MID file is loaded."
_________________
”It’s easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.”

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brs
Junior Member


Joined: 14 Aug 2007
Posts: 74

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, appreciate this help and your knowledge. Does this mean then the Havian will be able to read, play and edit my Knonos Songs and do they all have to be converted to SMF on Kronos before coping them to USB thumb drive and inserted into the Havian? I need to know this so I can eventually sell my Kronos. Thank you
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thoraldus
Platinum Member


Joined: 28 Nov 2010
Posts: 2060
Location: Rocky Mountains - SE IDaho

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brs wrote:
Again, appreciate this help and your knowledge. Does this mean then the Havian will be able to read, play and edit my Knonos Songs and do they all have to be converted to SMF on Kronos before coping them to USB thumb drive and inserted into the Havian? I need to know this so I can eventually sell my Kronos. Thank you


Yes, just export your sms midis from the Kronos as type 0 or use a convertor program to convert type 1 to type 0 before opening them on the Havian.
_________________
”It’s easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.”

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brs
Junior Member


Joined: 14 Aug 2007
Posts: 74

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is great to learn; if I may ask one other question: there is mention to Havian being able to accept a usb connected iPad to read a music score, sheet music notes, chords & lyrics. Do I have to have an iPad or will an Android Pad work as well? (if I understand correctly only lyrics & Chords are visible on the Havian screen, not the music?) You knowledge is greatly appreciated. I thank you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thoraldus
Platinum Member


Joined: 28 Nov 2010
Posts: 2060
Location: Rocky Mountains - SE IDaho

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brs wrote:
That is great to learn; if I may ask one other question: there is mention to Havian being able to accept a usb connected iPad to read a music score, sheet music notes, chords & lyrics. Do I have to have an iPad or will an Android Pad work as well? (if I understand correctly only lyrics & Chords are visible on the Havian screen, not the music?) You knowledge is greatly appreciated. I thank you.


For Android devices check out MobileSheets from Zubersoft.

Check out "MIDI Support' on this page at Zubersoft
_________________
”It’s easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.”

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Reidoo
Junior Member


Joined: 16 Oct 2015
Posts: 58

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Korg havian 30 suitable for gigs? Reply with quote

Hey guys...new to the forum.
I am looking to buy a new keyboard. I am a solo cocktail pianist and acompanist and also i play arranger keyboard (solo or acompanying with styles).
I was thinking to buy a pa3x, since it's a great kbd and has a 76 keys version, (being a pianist...61 keybeds are killing me) when i realised i could go maybe for the Havian 30. It would seem like the perfect choise for a pianist who also uses arranger features...but is it profesional enough? Everybody says it is just for home and not gigs. Why? Is portability an issue...because frankly the pa3x has some extra kgs and that sure ain't a home keybd :p
I hope to get some answers from you guys...
Thanks in advance and all the best Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thoraldus
Platinum Member


Joined: 28 Nov 2010
Posts: 2060
Location: Rocky Mountains - SE IDaho

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg havian 30 suitable for gigs? Reply with quote

Reidoo wrote:
Hey guys...new to the forum.
I am looking to buy a new keyboard. I am a solo cocktail pianist and acompanist and also i play arranger keyboard (solo or acompanying with styles).
I was thinking to buy a pa3x, since it's a great kbd and has a 76 keys version, (being a pianist...61 keybeds are killing me) when i realised i could go maybe for the Havian 30. It would seem like the perfect choise for a pianist who also uses arranger features...but is it profesional enough? Everybody says it is just for home and not gigs. Why? Is portability an issue...because frankly the pa3x has some extra kgs and that sure ain't a home keybd :p
I hope to get some answers from you guys...
Thanks in advance and all the best Smile


I think it depends on whether you do light gigging or hard. The Havian would probably be fine for light gigging where you have it appropriately protected for transport. You can buy 3 Havians for the price of one PA3x. Wink

If at all possible be sure to get your hands on one before purchase!
_________________
”It’s easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.”

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Reidoo
Junior Member


Joined: 16 Oct 2015
Posts: 58

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg havian 30 suitable for gigs? Reply with quote

Thoraldus wrote:
Reidoo wrote:
Hey guys...new to the forum.
I am looking to buy a new keyboard. I am a solo cocktail pianist and acompanist and also i play arranger keyboard (solo or acompanying with styles).
I was thinking to buy a pa3x, since it's a great kbd and has a 76 keys version, (being a pianist...61 keybeds are killing me) when i realised i could go maybe for the Havian 30. It would seem like the perfect choise for a pianist who also uses arranger features...but is it profesional enough? Everybody says it is just for home and not gigs. Why? Is portability an issue...because frankly the pa3x has some extra kgs and that sure ain't a home keybd :p
I hope to get some answers from you guys...
Thanks in advance and all the best Smile


I think it depends on whether you do light gigging or hard. The Havian would probably be fine for light gigging where you have it appropriately protected for transport. You can buy 3 Havians for the price of one PA3x. Wink

If at all possible be sure to get your hands on one before purchase!


Thank you very much for such a fast reply.
(sorry if double-posting was a problem)
I don't quite grasp the notion of light gigging vs hard gigging (maybe because i am from eastern europe and english isn't my native language)
The gigging situations that i am in are: bars, caffes, restaurants, weddings (opening) and hotel lounges (maybe out of country)
I have tested both, and absolutely fell in love with the Pa3x, it sounds outstanding and although not heavy-weighted 88...it's keybed seems amazing....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thoraldus
Platinum Member


Joined: 28 Nov 2010
Posts: 2060
Location: Rocky Mountains - SE IDaho

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reidoo,

If it were me and I had the funds I would go with the PA3X ... it has SO MUCH more facility and features than the Havian. It's also a tougher machine that has a proven track record for gigging. There is also a 76 key version available which gets you closer to 88. Wink No matter which keyboard you get be sure to get a hard case and insure it!

Light gigging ... you transport the keyboard yourself once a week to a single venue.

Hard gigging ... you transport your keyboard several times a week to different venues with other people handling it. Wink
_________________
”It’s easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.”

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Reidoo
Junior Member


Joined: 16 Oct 2015
Posts: 58

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok....i defenately do light gigging and i always carry myself all my stuff!
Your advice is very helpful to me, thank you for taking your time!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Reidoo
Junior Member


Joined: 16 Oct 2015
Posts: 58

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have some questions about the Havian 30, especially since i'm not a Korg user, but want to make the switch

1. Does the Havian 30 support any kind of conevtivity with a TcHelicon Vocal Harmoniser, could they be used properly toghether?
2. Do Korg arrangers generally, and especially the Havian 30 play styles directly from USB, or do you have to load them
3. I can't seem to find enywhere how many imported user styles can the Havian 30 take (ex. taking them from PA600 , PA800 etc.)

Thank you!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group