Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using Kronos as a live mixer help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveKeys

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Using Kronos as a live mixer help Reply with quote

Hi!

I like to keep a streamlined setup, and the fewer wires and gear I have to lug around, the better.

So, to avoid carrying a separate mixer, I run the Roland RD700 into inputs 1&2 on the Kronos, and send 2 sets of outputs; 1 pair to the main band mixer from L/R, the other to my DXR10 monitor speaker via 1/2. In itself this works pretty well, but with limitations.

The problem is, I have no control of my monitor level (output 1/2) other than by getting on my hands and knees and adjusting the level on the back of the monitor - not ideal for a live gig.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I might solve this?
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swap them around? Send 1/2 to FOH and let the guy there worry about the proper level, use your own master volume control to adjust your monitor level.
DaveKeys

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
Swap them around? Send 1/2 to FOH and let the guy there worry about the proper level, use your own master volume control to adjust your monitor level.

Thanks Sander

I think that sounds like the best advice. The only downside to that is that many bands I play in don't have a FOH sound guy, leaving any tweaks to whoever has the mixer, i.e, the drummer or vocalist.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yeah but you couldn't really do that yourself effectively from your playing position next to your monitors anyway, I'm assuming.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could do something with IFX routing and adjust the levels there. just a wild idea so I have no idea if it would be useful.
andrewt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:

That's what I do, and I always laugh when the sound guy adjusts my Main Volume knob when he's setting up the direct box.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You let sound guys touch your keyboards?!
DaveKeys

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took Sanders advice, and it's really helped my overall live sound. For some reason, the RD700 levels seem far less erratic when going through the Korg.
DocBambs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about putting Output 1/2 through a stereo volume pedal?

Then you can tweak it without removing your hands from the keyboard. You could put one in place for your RD700 too for even more control. You should probably make sure they are fixed down though.

db
DaveKeys

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DocBambs wrote:
What about putting Output 1/2 through a stereo volume pedal?

Then you can tweak it without removing your hands from the keyboard. You could put one in place for your RD700 too for even more control. You should probably make sure they are fixed down though.

db

To be honest I am more than happy with the current setup. Korg stabilises levels, FOH can worry about the house mix.
andrewt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
You let sound guys touch your keyboards?!

Haha, I don't invite them to, but sometimes they just walk up and touch something... I can't stand it but I don't think it would help the relationship to grab his arm and move it off the board. I want to be heard in the FOH mix... Rolling Eyes
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe fair point Smile
I would definitely say something though! Everything up to and including my DI is my responsibility. I don't go over to his desk and start moving faders either.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
Hehe fair point Smile
I would definitely say something though! Everything up to and including my DI is my responsibility. I don't go over to his desk and start moving faders either.

I never experienced this myself (mixing guy touching my keyboards). For mem it's the same, except that mostly the DIs are from the PA company.

I use only one output (well L/R only), sometimes I want to change the volume and be output to the PA too.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: