Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Radias Step-Sequencer doesn't send MIDI Clock

View previous topic :: View next topic  
|pride|

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Radias Step-Sequencer doesn't send MIDI Clock Reply with quote

Hello fellow musicians and sound designers,

since 2007 I'm a proud owner of a KORG Radias, which served me well live on stage for years. A few weeks ago, I bought an A-100 modular system which contains an A-190-4 MIDI to CV/Gate/Sync Interface-Module and now it's the first time I want to see, how different devices (including the Cubase DAW) "talk" to each other via MIDI.

To cut it short: Every single device connected to the MIDI-In of the A-190-4 (Jomox XBase09, Roland TR-8, Cubase) sends - besides the usual gate/pitch signal (when playing a note on the keyboard) - a MIDI clock signal when starting a sequence ... EXCEPT the step sequencer of the Radias.

I'm puzzled. Referring to the manual, the Radias DOES send a clock signal when used as the master device and - of course - if the clock is set to "Internal" under the "Global-Parameters". It clearly states:
Quote:
A connected external MIDI device (such as a sequencer) will synchronize to the RADIAS' step sequencer or arpeggiator.

Since every other device (that spits out rhythms/sequences) does send a clock signal and the A-190-4 receives it, I'm posting this issue here.

The only thing I could learn by searching the forums was, that (under the Global-Parameters) I have to set "Position" to "PostKBD" instead of "PreTG", so that notes & pitch from the step sequencer are transported to the MIDI out of the Radias. But the clock signal is still missing.

The MIDI documentation (RADIAS_MIDI_Imple_EFGJ1.pdf) as well states clearly on page 7, that a timing clock is sent via the usual hexadecimal value 0xF8, which is standard among all MIDI devices I know about.

Since I studied the manual in detail and searched the forums for three days I hope you people can help me.

Best regards and enjoy the summer!

PS: I'm using the firmware version 2.0. The step sequencer is only assigend to one timbre and the timbre sends MIDI via Global or MIDI channel 1. My module, which receives MIDI on channel 1 - of course - doesn't care, if the Radias sends on Global or "1". Wink Like I said: Gate and pitch is transmitted fine, but the clock signal is missing.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Strange...

Check that the clock generation is really set to internal. (But I guess this is ok as you indicate it and your sequencer can run...)
Vary the tempo on the RADIAS, try other divider settings on the A190.

Note that the clock is typically always sent, independent, whether the sequencer is on or off. There are other MIDI messages indicating the start/stop of the sequencer.
Just something to try, it should normally not matter: enable all MIDI filters and set the routing to USB+MIDI on the RADIAS.

What is your setup? MIDI Cable straight away from RADIAS MIDI OUT to A190?
Can you try to sync your other devices to the RADIAS?
Hook it up to a PC and use e.g. MIDIOX software. You need to disable there the clock filter and then you should see the 0xF8 messages passing by...

Good luck
acemonvw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same issue, no one responded to me. Guessing people just don't try to use this feature or something...

See my topic below for what I posted:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=92293&sid=9a4492850252376e5842013809ee5338
Biosligy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You already know this, I am very interested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: