Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA4x Questions (and answers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xx_Joey_xX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for a keyboard that most of us pay near $ 4000.00 USD we have the right to be critical of KORG and that excuse of an arranger PA4X.

It's not a game changer, it's not a step up from the PA3X it's simply a REFINED PA3X.

With today's technology, I would expect so much more for a keyboard in that price range, I understand there are some KORG fans here, I might be one of em, but I can't sit here and say good things about the pa4x when to me when it does not bring anything special or anything revolutionary, hell it's missing many features that should be near standard for that price range, 6 out's, more sample memory, a more refined and streamlined OS with Win, IOS, Android, connectivity. A new sound engine? 24 bit sound DSP? the list goes on.

This is why KORG is doing this every 3-5 years giving us a refined version of the previous model.

KORG i3 to KORG i30 that was change.
Korg i30 to PA80 that was a change.
KORG Triton to KORG M3 that was change.
KORG M3 to KORG KRONOS that was change.

KORG PA3X to KORG PA4X , umm not really.
Eduardo_Arg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi XX_Joey:

I must correct you about upgrades:

Korg Triton -----> Korg Oasys
Korg M3 a little broter of Korg Oasys
Korg Oasys -----> Korg Kronos

My comments was not being a Korg Fan, as i said, new Korg PA4x it's not for me, although many arrangers users will find on Korg Pa4x a really good machine.- New keyboards of same type and brand are allways a REFINED version.-

You mention the upgrade from M3 to Kronos.- Unless it's not correct, new Kronos missed on shot buttons that you have in M3 and Oasys, and other hardware stuff that have's Oasys (like a 10' touch screen).- Continuing with your arguments, actual Kronos is a REFINED version of Oasys, and that is incorrect.- Kronos is a new machine with a different philosofy.-

In the case of PA4x, if you could test new sound engine, you'll notice the big diference.-

I agree with you that Korg pa4x price is high; but if you compare it with it's principal competitor Yamaha, it's really cheap.-

About Korg marketing, all brands do the same: being honest, do you notice great diferences between Tyros 4 ald 5 ?, What justifies it's enormous price ??????

I'm sure most Korg pa4x users will be satisfied with its performances similar as what you find on Kronos (screen organization).-

We are musicians not dealers.-
Regards
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xx_Joey_xX wrote:

I see a lot of changes from just analysing the manual and current video clips.
I have to assume you are ahead of most of us here, so please give us details of your hands-on experience with the PA4X - would seriously like your feedback.

I believe in general that nothing is actually "missing" in any of these keyboards - these are either "wish-lists" or things you used to have.
It's funny that we see a mix of complaints - some regarding the PA4X being "too" like the PA3X and yet others wanting it to be very different but still have all the same features (mind-boggling).

When the PA3X first came out I was struggling to justify upgrading but I'm so glad I did.

I'm making no comment on the PA4X until I've seen it in the flesh.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Dikikeys

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spec wars simply don't get the job done. Could the PA4X be more advanced than it is? Possibly... but how many keyboards exist that you think are advanced enough anyway? Compared to cutting edge computer systems, none of them, really, right? Twisted Evil

There's a huge difference putting together a computer VSTi system and a bulletproof, road-worthy stage keyboard. Chief of which is the use of less than bleeding edge, but mature technology. No, the data pipes aren't up to TOTL computer standards, but try to put something together that can give you high polyphony count AND bulletproof stage operation on a computer...

You can't. You can get close, but do you want to risk your show on something that is not designed to provide the polyphony count no matter WHAT you are doing? That's the Achilles Heel of computer based solutions. Load is flexible, depending on how many voices of each different voice engine you are using.

The truth of the matter is, WHEN computers get some kind of system that can ensure uninterrupted operation regardless of demand (within limits), the future may arrive a bit sooner. But you also have to take into account that, once a standard computer CAN do all you want, who is going to provide the programs and the content for it? If corporations can no longer leverage their content efforts by making basically a big hardware dongle for it (the arranger!), if software arrangers and WS's become the norm, where does the money come from tying all the disparate elements together?

We have seen a couple of efforts to go the all software arranger route. All pretty much failures. An arranger is MUCH more than the sum of its parts. It is a unified concept, software, hardware and content all working in (hopefully!) perfect harmony. No attempt so far managed the trifecta. In fact, not even close. There are software arrangers, but none of them come out of the box even close to a MOTL hardware arranger.

So, where does that leave us? We look at amazing individual capabilities by computer systems, but most fail to see how difficult it is to leverage that into a reliable stage keyboard that sounds anything CLOSE to as good as a hardware one. So we whine...! Rolling Eyes

I'm willing to bet that well over half of those currently saying the PA4X doesn't spec out well enough to buy change their minds once they HEAR it in detail! Better styles and sounds have ALWAYS been the primary selling point of a new arranger. Throw in direct access to styles and sounds rather than having to pre-load them, I'm betting a whole bunch make the move. Wink
Xx_Joey_xX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having 6 outputs, and not having a 24bit DSP made my decision on whether i should upgrade from pa3x or not.

I don't use factory sounds or styles. Mostly samples, and my own styles. For me personally until KORG uses 6 outs, I can't give up using an external sampler or sound module with my pa3x. So pretty much my pa3x acts as a style controller. When using external sound module or sampler I have everything on a separate channel. Kick separate channel, bass separate channel, bass separate channel. etc.... this is the only way to me that an arranger keyboard sounds crisp clean and there is instrument separation when hearing the sound. everything coming outta 4 outs just sounds blurry to me. Also I don't get on stage with one keyboard 2 at a minimum
Bescki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xx_Joey_xX wrote:
I think for a keyboard that most of us pay near $ 4000.00 USD we have the right to be critical of KORG and that excuse of an arranger PA4X.

It's not a game changer, it's not a step up from the PA3X it's simply a REFINED PA3X.

With today's technology, I would expect so much more for a keyboard in that price range, I understand there are some KORG fans here, I might be one of em, but I can't sit here and say good things about the pa4x when to me when it does not bring anything special or anything revolutionary, hell it's missing many features that should be near standard for that price range, 6 out's, more sample memory, a more refined and streamlined OS with Win, IOS, Android, connectivity. A new sound engine? 24 bit sound DSP? the list goes on.

This is why KORG is doing this every 3-5 years giving us a refined version of the previous model.

its not Pa4X, they wrote pa4x accidentally, the original name is Pa3x Plus
Razz Razz Razz Razz
Bescki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any option to show time on display?

and how to change display colors?

it would be nice to choose a FONT of letters.. Sad
KONNECTORAS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bescki wrote:
Is there any option to show time on display?

No.

Bescki wrote:
and how to change display colors?

You cannot change colours.
Colours' scenes do not exist in Pa4X...

Bescki wrote:
it would be nice to choose a FONT of letters.. Sad

Yes, it would be nice... but KORG R&D does not believe so...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: