Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EMX-1 to Microkorg, master/slave, which one is which?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timstar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: EMX-1 to Microkorg, master/slave, which one is which? Reply with quote

I have just bought the EMX-1 SD and a Microkorg.

I want to midi the two together but I don't really want one to control the other, or do I? I still want all the sounds from both units all I really want to synch is the time clock, i.e. so that the arpeg. sounds on the Microkorg go in the time with the beats from the EMX-1, in lay terms.

(From what I can see you can say totally control the EMX from the MK, would that mean you would get the EMX sounds and NOT the MK sounds?)

In this case which one is the master and which one is the slave and therefore which unit is midi out and which one is midi in?

Out of curiosity what would I get if the master/slave sceario was the other way around?

One more question, if I midi the two together will sounds from both come out of one unit, i.e. I don't need to connect both the EMX and MK to a speaker indepently? (I am guessing not unless one is controlling the others sounds).

I hope this all makes sense to someone.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want the MK arpeggiator to be synced to the EMX, then you need to hook the EMX midi out (master) to the MK midi in (slave), then set the MK midi clock to external.

Midi is not audio. It's only control and event information. The sounds of the EMX can only be heard from the headphones on the EMX or from the L+R output on it. Same goes for the MK. If you want to hear them both together, the best solution is to hook the outputs of the EMX and MK to a mixer, then you can hook headphones to the mixer or send the main output to powered speakers.

By the way, there's a setting on the EMX to reverse the function of the Arp touchpad and fader. I highly recommend that you reverse them, then write the change to memory to keep it that way. The pad is much better to control the notes, rather than the gate timing, because you can press different places on the pad to get different notes immediately, rather than the fader - which is less precise and requires you to go through every note from where it's current at to the one you want. I also recommend that you set the scale on the Arp to be a minor pentatonic, which is the best for jamming. You can then use the arp touchpad to trigger any lead sound on the MK, and it will keep in tune with the scale and key - never a wrong note.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, with MIDI you can control the microKorg's sounds with the EMX/ESX sequencer - if you connect the MIDI Out of the Electribe to the MIDI In of the MK.

similarly, you can use the MK's MIDI Out to the Electribe's MIDI In to play the sounds of the Electribe with the MK's keys and knobs.

If you want neither to control the other, then you need to make sure their MIDI Channels aren't matching. Typically the melodic (synth) parts on the Electribes have their own MIDI channels, and then the drums/hits have a seperate channel for the whole of them (with each drum on a different note).

Channels basically allow you to set what is controlled by what. If you had Synth Part 1 on the Electribe set to Channel 11 and set the MicroKorg to Channel 11 and MIDI Out to the Electribe's MIDI In, then you could play Synth Part 1 with the MK's keys - the sound itself would still come out of the Electribe's audio outputs though, but you'd be using the MK's keys to play it.

Clock messages don't use channels, so you simply choose your master, MIDI Out to the MIDI In of the 'slave' (as you called it. Not a term usually used for MIDI devices). Set the MIDI Clock setting on the 'slave' to External Clock - so that it uses clock messages arriving on the MIDI port rather than using its own Internal clock.
The 'Master' is left on Internal Clock - most devices always transmit clock on their Out ports if they are set to Internal Clock.

Electribes make good clock masters because if you're sequencing most of your song on it, then you probably want that tempo saved with that song or pattern, and the other device(s) to follow.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
timstar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much guys, amazingly helpful!!
neotechtonics
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not necessary to put the MK and EMX on different MIDI channels to prevent note data being sent between them.

If you use the "midi utility" on the EMX (check in the manual)

you can set the EMX so that it doesnt send/receive note data.

(PCEN settings)
P = program change data
C = control change data
E = exclusive data
N = note data

not 100% sure what exclusive data is for but you'll want P,C and N set to "O" (off) instead of "X" (on).
do a global save to make sure that these settings are saved or they change back to previous saved settings once you turn the EMX off.

KORG GEAR: EMX1-SM -- EMX1-SD -- KAOSS PAD3 -- MICROKORG -- KAOSSILATOR PRO -- NANOKONTROL1
OTHER GEAR: Roland SP404, MC303 -- Akai MPC-2500 SE -- Zoom R16 -- effects pedals -- DJ-gear -- Access Virus B
Bastianmore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Korg Electribe EMX1 as sequenzer for Access Virus Indigo 2 Reply with quote

Hi i need some please, i have traid this but for somreason my emx stil sents midi data thats mesup totaley my access indigo 2 i lost my hole paches so had to reset my acces virus, i want to use my korg electribe as master sequenzer for my access virus indigo 2 playning notes on access recording on my korg emx1 al goos good til turning knobs or menue stuf on korg then my hole access is totaley mesitup every thing gone strange sound so had to reset it totaly.
neotechtonics wrote:
Its not necessary to put the MK and EMX on different MIDI channels to prevent note data being sent between them.

If you use the "midi utility" on the EMX (check in the manual)

you can set the EMX so that it doesnt send/receive note data.

(PCEN settings)
P = program change data
C = control change data
E = exclusive data
N = note data

not 100% sure what exclusive data is for but you'll want P,C and N set to "O" (off) instead of "X" (on).
do a global save to make sure that these settings are saved or they change back to previous saved settings once you turn the EMX off.
neotechtonics
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want just midi clock:

PCEN: XXXX

just midi notes:

PCEN: XXXO

midi notes and knobs/CC:

PCEN: XOXO.

****remember to do a global save afterwards to save these settings.

KORG GEAR: EMX1-SM -- EMX1-SD -- KAOSS PAD3 -- MICROKORG -- KAOSSILATOR PRO -- NANOKONTROL1
OTHER GEAR: Roland SP404, MC303 -- Akai MPC-2500 SE -- Zoom R16 -- effects pedals -- DJ-gear -- Access Virus B
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: