Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Damper Pedal Assignment

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: Damper Pedal Assignment Reply with quote

Ok I Have been using a damper pedal on my Pa4x fine up until now, but what I am trying to do now is causing me some head scratching ?

Lets say that I want to use the Pa4x without the arranger functions and use it as a straight keyboard. In this scenario I want to use a Piano in the Right Hand and another Piano in the left hand but this sound transposed up and octave for playing chords. Now the Right Hand is using the Global Damper settings and the damper of the Right Hand Functions as one would expect. On the left hand the Damper is also working but when the Damper is not depressed the Left Hand Piano has a sustain to it which makes it unusable ?

Can this be achieved on the Pa4x ?

I know that you can use the Pa4x as a straightforward keyboard with Piano and other sounds layered but in certain situations I need it to work as above.

Additionally if you need a stripped back arrangement using the Pa4xs drums and bass to create a Trio sound and dont want the arranger providing the left hand Piano Part again I would prefer to be able to have two Piano Sounds or the Same Piano Sounds split on the keyboard but with Damper control over each.
Yamaha S90ES, Korg Triton Pro, EXB Moss, Roland XV5080, Korg EX8000, Korg Pa4x 76, Korg Kronos 88, Crumar MOJO, Logic Pro X, V Collection, Novation SL61,Vienna, Korg Pa4x , EC-5, Vienna, Arturia V Collection, Roland SC88 Pro, Roland D110, Alesis SR16, Alesis D4
duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:22 am    Post subject: damper pedal Reply with quote

1 Be in style play mode,
2 press menu ( not Global )
3 Go to style menu
4 now pick keyboard & ensemble
5 done
now
you pick keyboard control you see you put a checkbox in the lower ( it is empty now )and sustained..
now the damper pedal will work on both sides of your split or I could send you the performance how I have it set up but that's all there is..
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help, I followed this procedure and still the LH Piano voice sustains by itself. When you check the lower box you do then have control of normal sustain and damper resonace but with the damper pedal not pressed the left hand piano voice has a sustain to it ? Very odd
Yamaha S90ES, Korg Triton Pro, EXB Moss, Roland XV5080, Korg EX8000, Korg Pa4x 76, Korg Kronos 88, Crumar MOJO, Logic Pro X, V Collection, Novation SL61,Vienna, Korg Pa4x , EC-5, Vienna, Arturia V Collection, Roland SC88 Pro, Roland D110, Alesis SR16, Alesis D4
duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: switch polarity rever Reply with quote

check your damper pedal ,see if it has switch polarity reverse , some pedal can be (+) or (-) if you have two deferent pedal and i will check again my set up .
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using a Yamaha Damper pedal FC7 and this didnt work at first until I went through the Pa4x Calibration setup after which it works as expected on the RH sounds or in Sound Mode. I have another damper pedal which does have a polarity switch and will try that out.
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just hooked another damper pedal and the result is the same, could this be a bug ?
Jonyblues

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Damper Pedal Assignment Reply with quote

mintjamman wrote:
Ok I Have been using a damper pedal on my Pa4x fine up until now, but what I am trying to do now is causing me some head scratching ?

Lets say that I want to use the Pa4x without the arranger functions and use it as a straight keyboard. In this scenario I want to use a Piano in the Right Hand and another Piano in the left hand but this sound transposed up and octave for playing chords. Now the Right Hand is using the Global Damper settings and the damper of the Right Hand Functions as one would expect. On the left hand the Damper is also working but when the Damper is not depressed the Left Hand Piano has a sustain to it which makes it unusable ?

Can this be achieved on the Pa4x ?

I know that you can use the Pa4x as a straightforward keyboard with Piano and other sounds layered but in certain situations I need it to work as above.

Additionally if you need a stripped back arrangement using the Pa4xs drums and bass to create a Trio sound and dont want the arranger providing the left hand Piano Part again I would prefer to be able to have two Piano Sounds or the Same Piano Sounds split on the keyboard but with Damper control over each.

Hi Mintjamman, I think that I may possibly have a solution/idea for you to try. I, like you, wanted two piano sounds (one for upper and one for lower) and was confused when the lower piano sound, which was using the same voice as the upper voice, sounded different/sustained.

The following observation may be obvious to long time PA users but definitely wasn't obvious to me (as a relatively new PA4x user): Here is a scenario for you, which will, hopefully, demonstrate what I discovered:

Scenario:
a) Go to 'Going on Soul' Style and have the Main Style Play 'Kbd Set' window Open.
b) Select the piano set (kbd set 3) from this window (the lower sound is now called 'My Sequencer').
c) Go to both the Mixer/Tuning page and the Track controls page and note that the Lower/My Sequencer sound has specific settings for FX and Attack/Decay/Realease etc.
d) Exit to go back to the main Kbd set page (with kbd set 3 'Piano' selected)
c) Press the 'My Sequencer' sound and replace it with a grand piano sound.
What you will find is that the grand piano sound not only has the effects settings (look in Style Play Menu/Mixer/Tuning' tab to verify) that were used in the 'My Sequencer' sound but interestingly ALSO if you go to Style Play 'Track Controls' page you will see that the piano sound has also got the Attack, Delay, Release, Cutoff Settings from the 'My Sequencer' sound too.

Subsequently, I think that there is a good chance that the piano sound that you described that seems to sustain (even without the damper pedal) is nothing to do with the damper pedal but is actually being caused by either the FX settings or the Track control settings from the original lower sound.

If this is the solution to your problem (which I hope it is!), the next obvious question is whether the PA4x is actually supposed to work like this and if it is, is there a better/proper procedure for users to change sounds, so that the new sound brings all of its settings with it. (I'm just guessing but this issue may, of course, even possibly have something to do with the factory sounds being locked. I'm sure an experienced pa3x or pa4x user should know though).

I hope this helps. Let me know if it works and solves the problem. Best, Jon
Paolo@Korg
Korg Italy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mintjamman,

I wonder if you have the Lower Memory or the Bass & Lower Backing functions activated.

The Bass & Lower Backing status is shown in the Lower Sound area. You can turn it off by keeping the SHIFT button pressed and pressing the STYLE PLAY button to open the Style preference page, and deselecting the corresponding option.

In the same page you can program the Memory Mode.

Paolo
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Damper Pedal Assignment Reply with quote

mintjamman wrote:
.. want to use a Piano in the Right Hand and another Piano in the left hand but ...

Not necessary to mention "but" for individual settings, as solution is much more simpler as you could think, using "Advanced editing of the Sound sets". You find it with UpperTracks Key&VelocityRange in Menue Keyboard/Ensemble.

Simple select TopKey=C8 and BottomKey=C4 for Upper1. Same do with Upper2 but select TopKey=B3, BottomKey=0. Now you have two zones for your Piano, splitted at at B3/C4 (change Top/Bottom-keys for other splittings or for additional use of an Upper3-voice if necessary).

Do not use use velocity-separated zones if you do not want to loose key-velocity (defaults of BottomVel/TopVel is 0/127), do not use Split-Function.

Select whatever Pianosound you want LeftHand to Upper2. Select whatever Pianosound you want RightHand to Upper1.
Use whatever settings you need without restrictions (Oktave, Tuning, Effects, Pan, Eq, Damper, Joystick, Expression, QuickEditSoundParameter Attack, Decay, Release, Cutoff, Resonance etc..etc..) individual separately for Left and Right like you do creating a keyboard setting.

Save it as keyboard-setting or STS. Ready to play Piano!

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, thanks for this information I will work my way through each solution and see how it pans out. I knew I would not be the only one who would need this facility. I work with bass players and in that setting I want the Pa4x to operate as a straight keyboard although I guess that's not the intention of an arranger and while I have this task covered by other equipment I want to get to a point where I can use the Pa4x as a main instrument in certain settings hence why I am trying to get this working like this.

I will report back Smile
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success ! Ok here's the upshot of the earlier problem I had, Firstly Paolo I rechecked and did not have the settings set as you thought might be the problem, Tried your solution Jonyblues and that did not cure the sustain issue unfortunately but thanks for your useful input.

siebenhirter's solution works a treat and I now have things set as I need the trade off being that you loose a upper RH voice so can only layer two sounds at a time, that said I can work around that with external midi should I need.

This Pa4x is starting to cook, love it

Thanks siebenhirter
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: