Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is simplicity best or simply the easiest?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aziz1008

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This duality of truth is an organic part of this world, according to Vedic knowledge. Hence, no one knows which is better for sure. But from an absolute point of view, one can easily distinguish what is best in the long term.

I remember, DM liked synths at the beginning just because it could be played by one finger!)) They were all guitar guys initially.

So, its true, for some people synth is the only option. I have hand arthrosis developing slowly. So it is for me too...
Current hardware: Kronos-1 61+1GB RAM+2nd HDD 320 Gb, Triton Extreme 76+MOSS+RAM+dual microSD to CF adapter+64 Gb microSD card, Roland GW7, Casio WK-3300, Casio CTK-631, Farfisa child synth, laptop HP Envy dv7 16Gb ram, Core-i7, 128 SSD+720 GB HDD, E-MU 0202 USB Audio Interface.
Midi: M-Audio Keystation Pro 88, E-MU X-Board 61, launchpad mini, 3 Korg nano controllers, AKAI LPD+LPK, Behringer C2000.
My Kronos wish-list: www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=661561#661561
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your musical potential is also being realized more by being able to play a synth, rather than a violin Wink

From the original statement, "a complex instrument makes for a simple musician", you inferred that "a simple instrument makes for a (potentially) complex musician".
But what is being somewhat ignored there is the feedback that a player gets from his or her instrument. Whether or not they enjoy playing or practicing depends a lot on the feeling of progress being made and on whether or not they enjoy the physical sensation od playing the instrument. Also the common musical styles that are associated with an instrument and the kind of theoretical musical insight that comes along with a specific instrument. Some people just connect with one instrument type more for various reasons. This can be subtle but also profound, but definitely the instrument forms the musician. For instance generally speaking violinists have a great ear but suck at improvisation. The same student learning to improvise to orchestrated backings on an arranger keyboard might be great at it. In other words, just because the instrument is complex the musician doesn't have to be simple. So again I think it's important to look at the individual and see what interests them and where their strengths lie. If you were to come to me for music lessons and I notice you have arthritis in one hand but also an interest in playing modern music I would definitely bring out a synthesizer and it would be up to me as teacher to find ways, using the instrument of choice, to teach you common musical concepts such as playing in time, rhythm, interaction, scales and chords, technique etc.
Aziz1008

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you SanderXpander, it may be funny, but finally we could state this as simple as follows:

A complex instrument is for the complex musician.

Because it will realize his full potential and would not spoil him, making him lazy. Complexity like electricity - can heal but can also disappoint and kill.

Also, if you give Kronos to a monkey, it will be of no use, and monkey will constantly complain of its "complexity")))

We must grow up and become mature for Kronos, just like it takes for violin.
That's the reason why Vangelis is comfortable with his complex setup, - he just has corresponding level of inner complexity.
Current hardware: Kronos-1 61+1GB RAM+2nd HDD 320 Gb, Triton Extreme 76+MOSS+RAM+dual microSD to CF adapter+64 Gb microSD card, Roland GW7, Casio WK-3300, Casio CTK-631, Farfisa child synth, laptop HP Envy dv7 16Gb ram, Core-i7, 128 SSD+720 GB HDD, E-MU 0202 USB Audio Interface.
Midi: M-Audio Keystation Pro 88, E-MU X-Board 61, launchpad mini, 3 Korg nano controllers, AKAI LPD+LPK, Behringer C2000.
My Kronos wish-list: www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=661561#661561

Last edited by Aziz1008 on Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that definitely it is easier to hide personal flaws with a technologically advanced instrument. I just wouldn't then say that all people playing advanced instruments must be less developed as musicians. Probably the closest thing we agree to is that it is virtually impossible to hide personal musical flaws with a "simple" instrument. For that reason, many many amateur musicians playing instruments like that sound like crap.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I would say that definitely it is easier to hide personal flaws with a technologically advanced instrument. I just wouldn't then say that all people playing advanced instruments must be less developed as musicians. Probably the closest thing we agree to is that it is virtually impossible to hide personal musical flaws with a "simple" instrument. For that reason, many many amateur musicians playing instruments like that sound like crap.

I know some people who couldn't even hit a triangle in time Wink

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taught a guy who had no sense of time at all. It was a band class and I tried to get him to play single conga hits together with the backbeat on the snare drum. It was literally impossible. Even if he was watching the drummer's right hand. In addition, it was physically impossible for him to do a slap or cup on the conga. He'd just kind flop his hand on it so there wasn't much sound coming out. I tried really hard to make something out of it but finally had to conclude that some people really just don't have it.
Aziz1008

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's it - personal flaws cannot be hidden or justified by instrument's "complexity" - and that is a blessing and curse we get from a simple acoustic instruments...
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome question! I think it depends entirely on the musician. Take a simple hand drum like a Djembe for instance.

The best trombone player in the world may or may not be able to make it sound good. But that same person may also just have a knack for something like an ARP 25oo modular synth.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/arp/2500.php

One is very simple, the other very complex.

When I think about it, pretty much all musical instruments are hard to master. Most people if they have a bit of skill can make some sound that is a bit musical on them. But there will always be some people that just don't have that certain little quality that allows somebody to make music. I knew a drummer who could play a good solid groove but we had to tune his drums for him.
What more can I say.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Music All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: