Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do people still listen?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son, ten, spends hours doing this but when kids get together they just play games and music is background. I honestly think some of it is the music and the media playing back music. I don't care what anyone says, listening to an album or even a cassette or 8 track seems to have more to it then my cd and mp3. Maybe it is just me. I miss magnetic media and records. Now some songs I have downloaded in much higher quality and it did make a difference but kids and people in general don't do this, I think, in general. I have noticed most people I know listen to tunes only when working or driving and most people working have little portable devices that just sound hollow or a car system which is really just providing background while they text or read the internet on their smart phones.

Curious what you guys think about this thought. Do you think they way a lot of popular music emphasizes certain frequencies that maybe people just don't hear the sounds the same as we used to? I just don't that they hear or realize what they hear at the upper ends or lower ends if it isn't in the face it isn't a consideration for them. I think they way the hear allows them to miss the harmonics, so many people haven't heard music with all the great harmonic content so perhaps they have never learned to listen for it.
DH56

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread!

My ears have gotten quite used to the (insert appropriate word...harshness, brittleness, compressed, lacking warmth, etc.) of digital media and I love the instant random access that it affords.

However, once in a while I will play some music on my high-end Sony cassette player in Dolby-S and am always stunned at how much better the bass response and overall warmth is.

We have had several threads on this forum listing a lot of our favourite 60's and 70's bands and I don't think that magnificent musical era will ever be repeated. I remember a story in one of the rock mags like Creem or Circus where folks were sitting around (like the basement description) and put on The Beatles' Sergeant Pepper for the first time and were just stunned. The Beach Boys Brian Wilson obviously was impressed because it spurred him on to create the wonderful Pet Sounds album. Albums were just that...collections. And the one's that could tie together the songs into a collective whole like The Who's Tommy and Quadrophenia and Pink Floyd's The Wall just made things that much more interesting.

And the list goes on and on. That particular epoch just yielded a brotherhood of music mavens that had so much high quality to choose from and the altered states of those days obviously enabled many to pinpoint focus on the music as a state of mind and not just something to listen to in the background or dance to.

While the music I produce in the Soundworld is mainly Jazz, New Age and Worldbeat influenced, Classic Rock will always be my first musical love and I can still get such a kick out of putting on some Led Zep and cranking up the volume even though I have heard the songs thousands of times before. I recently listened to Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety and was instantly transported back to 1973! Blast...where did the time go?

I do sorely miss those "basement" days though! Thanks for the memories boys and girls...I'm going to go put on some Captain Beyond and get lost in "A Thousand Days of Yesterdays!"
KRONOS2-61 | OASYS 76 | Jupiter-80 | Integra-7 | V-Synth GT (2) | V-Synth XT | Fantom XR (2) |XV-5080 | Triton-Rack | JD990 (4) | Wavestation SR | 01R/W | JV-2080 | JV-1080 | Kurzweil K2500RS | Kurzweil K2000RS | Proteus 3 World | SC-88 | D-70 | MC-80 | TD-20 V-Drums | Korg Wavedrum | Roland Handsonic HPD-15 | Mackie SR32.4-VLZPRO | Mackie 1402-VLZ3 | Yamaha HS80M

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=948812
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dancing Madly Backwards.
I thought I'd come back and visit this thread that I started. I have a 26 year old daughter who has 2 children. I don't visit very often, she doesn't live that close and whenever I do with my wife, the constant chaotic noise is just way too much for me. They live in a small apartment but they'll have the stereo playing, a TV on, somebody playing a computer game, the dog non-stop barking. This is everyday for her. We had them over for Christmas and sad as it is, I couldn't wait for them to leave the next day. It was just a constant barrage of noise! If the kids weren't screaming, one was carrying on about us putting a movie on, the other was playing some portable video game thing, my daughter had her phone playing music, her boyfriend was on his phone on facebook or something.
It was effing insane! I couldn't go to my studio because the last thing I want is 2 unruly children in there and I wasn't about to abandon my wife. We're a team and we're both prepared to go down with the sinking ship together.

When they finally did leave, my wife and I just sat down on the couch and sighed! I quietly got up and while holding one upraised finger to my lips while looking at my wife, poured a large drink of Lagavulin 16 year old Scotch. We didn't utter a word. Ahhhhh! Silence. After about 15 minutes of the most golden piece in the world, I gently opened up the cabinet that holds my old Dynakit 70 tube amp and powered up my Sansui pre-amp. I turned on my Blu-ray player; somehow in the chaos my turntable got disconnected, I could see the loose cables; and I softly put on Genesis, "The Wind and the Wuthering". We looked at each other, nodded, I padded to the kitchen to get my lovely wife a Strongbow and y self another smaller Scotch and together we both listened to music.

I think that's the way it should be! Oh, and even though it was crazy, Christmas was great!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Music All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: