Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Odd File Behaviour

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Odd File Behaviour Reply with quote

I have noticed that since moving on to import my Standard Midi Files ( SMFs) that the Pa4x when requested to load them sees them as Bad Illegal Files.
Now then I reading the manual the Pa4x wants Type 0 files, mine were type 1.
So I used a utility for OSX called Sweet Midi Converter which will allow SMF file conversion either way type 1 to type 0 and vice verser.

So I load the converted type 0s onto my USB stick, trying to import them using song play same error message, then use Sequencer Mode still the error message. Then for some unknown reason using either song play or Sequencer Mode then allows some of the files to be loaded but not others ????

I also have downloaded the extra styles from the Korg Website and can load these BUT I have a new USB 64G memory stick formatted FAT 32 again the Pa4x native choice and have created 12 folders on that stick, Some folders have styles, others have midi files in.

When you select the USB F drive in the file window it finds the stick but only shows the first 3 or 4 folders ? It cant see the rest ?

Back on my Macs I can see all 12 folders and their contents, what might I be missing or doing wrong ?

Thanks
Yamaha S90ES, Korg Triton Pro, EXB Moss, Roland XV5080, Korg EX8000, Korg Pa4x 76, Korg Kronos 88, Crumar MOJO, Logic Pro X, V Collection, Novation SL61,Vienna, Korg Pa4x , EC-5, Vienna, Arturia V Collection, Roland SC88 Pro, Roland D110, Alesis SR16, Alesis D4
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to the midi files, it's impossible to say unless you posted some of the files on the forum that don't work for people to get a look at them. There could be something odd about the files. For example, a midi file that is simply not named correctly with the .mid in lower case extension is enough to cause that error on any KORG keyboard.

KORG keyboards also see all files it doesn't know as native format Illegal SMF. For example, on a KORG workstation loading an Zip file throws up the exact same error. It's like a generic error for unknown file formats that KORG uses.

With regards to your memory stick, have you tried formatting it on the Pa4X. I've the exact same issue with a USB3 64GB sick and my KRONOS. If I use a PC to format the stick to FAT32, the KRONOS won't see it at all, where if it's formatted by my KRONOS to FAT32 it can see it fine and there's no issue.

Regards
Sharp.
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sharp,

The .mid extensions look normal to me but the next step will be to format the USB stick on the Pa4x to rule that one out. Am I right in thinking that its ok to have a file structure on a external hard drive of Memory stick made up of folders with wither styles or midi files or mp3s in those folders ?

I cannot imagine that everything has to be in the root directory ?
Yamaha S90ES, Korg Triton Pro, EXB Moss, Roland XV5080, Korg EX8000, Korg Pa4x 76, Korg Kronos 88, Crumar MOJO, Logic Pro X, V Collection, Novation SL61,Vienna, Korg Pa4x , EC-5, Vienna, Arturia V Collection, Roland SC88 Pro, Roland D110, Alesis SR16, Alesis D4
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Am I right in thinking that its ok to have a file structure on a external hard drive of Memory stick made up of folders with wither styles or midi files or mp3s in those folders ?

I cannot imagine that everything has to be in the root directory ?

Yes, you can use multiple sub folders fine, however, there maybe a limitation on the depth you can go from the Root to a file. The limitation is likely to be “X” amount letters that make up the total path of the file. I don't remember how many, sorry.

This is something KRONOS users have previously bumped into from time to time, so I'd imagine the same rules apply for all KORG keyboards.

Regards
Sharp.
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some unknown reason the memory stick could not see all the files and would not load some smfs format 0.

I copied all the styles and files off the stick and then formatted it in the pa4x and reloaded the files back onto the stick.

It now works as expected so maybe some kind of protection on the stick was causing this issue. Had me stumped for a good while. Thanks Sharp for your help
mabcomp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd File Behaviour Reply with quote

mintjamman wrote:
I have noticed that since moving on to import my Standard Midi Files ( SMFs) that the Pa4x when requested to load them sees them as Bad Illegal Files.
Now then I reading the manual the Pa4x wants Type 0 files, mine were type 1.
So I used a utility for OSX called Sweet Midi Converter which will allow SMF file conversion either way type 1 to type 0 and vice verser.

So I load the converted type 0s onto my USB stick, trying to import them using song play same error message, then use Sequencer Mode still the error message. Then for some unknown reason using either song play or Sequencer Mode then allows some of the files to be loaded but not others ????

I also have downloaded the extra styles from the Korg Website and can load these BUT I have a new USB 64G memory stick formatted FAT 32 again the Pa4x native choice and have created 12 folders on that stick, Some folders have styles, others have midi files in.

When you select the USB F drive in the file window it finds the stick but only shows the first 3 or 4 folders ? It cant see the rest ?

Back on my Macs I can see all 12 folders and their contents, what might I be missing or doing wrong ?

MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING A USB 2.0 NOT USB 3.0 If the stick is blue inside the connecting end then its USB 3.0

Thanks

Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the PA4x, but in the case of older keyboards, you could only import type 0 midi files in "Style Record Mode". You could however, import type 1 midi files in the sequencer mode.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: