Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yamaha New Synth with Alien Technology
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Believe me my friend - it's 128 + 128. My source has played it.

Yep, that's what the spec says. However, for AWM2, it's 128 stereo voices (which would have needed 256 voices with older Motifs), so I guess that's a good thing.

Also, 128 voices of poly for 8 operator FM synth is... well, better than what Kronos can pull off for its FM engine with no other engines used.

This might be a good thing for Yammie, after all. But shame they missed LEDs on faders...
compusic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billysynth1 wrote:
HI Uncle Kevin,

see link

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-production/synthesizers/montage/#tab=feature

billy

The link has been removed.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
Kevin Nolan wrote:
Believe me my friend - it's 128 + 128. My source has played it.

Also, 128 voices of poly for 8 operator FM synth is... well, better than what Kronos can pull off for its FM engine with no other engines used.

This might be a good thing for Yammie, after all. But shame they missed LEDs on faders...

Indeed - that's 1028 oscillators available at a given moment!
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CFX piano is included, but there's no mention of SCM.
The specs look good though, I wonder what the price will be.
The official page has been pulled, so I copied the specs from Gearslutz:

"Motion Control Synthesis Engine unifies and controls two iconic Sound Engines: AWM2 (high-quality waveform and subtractive synthesis) and FM-X (modern, pure Frequency Modulation synthesis.) These two engines can be freely zoned or layered across eight parts in a single MONTAGE Performance.

Interact with MONTAGE Performances using Motion Control: a highly programmable control matrix for creating deep, dynamic and incredibly expressive sound. With Motion Control, you can create new sounds not possible on previous hardware synthesizers.

1. Sophisticated Dynamic Control

Music is expression. MONTAGE adds a new level of expression with the Motion Control Synthesis Engine. This engine allows a variety of methods to interact with and channel your creativity into finding your own unique sound.

- Super Knob

Create dynamic sound changes from radical to sublime with the Super Knob. The Super Knob can control multiple parameters simultaneously resulting in anything you can imagine.

For example: change your listening position from right in front of an instrument to in the back seat of a concert hall. Or radically change the character of a Performance from atmospheric and mellow to rhythmic and edgy.

The Super Knob can even be assigned to a second FC7 foot controller making it easy to manipulate the sound when playing with both hands.

- Motion SEQ

Motion Sequences are tempo-synchronized, completely customizable control sequences that can be assigned to virtually any synthesizer parameter and provide incredible creative new ways of programming sound.

Motion Sequences also have dedicated controls on the front panel making it easy to manipulate and change in real-time, providing incredible interactivity and expression.
- Envelope Follower

Enlarge

The Envelope Follower converts audio into a control source for control of virtually any synthesizer parameter. For example, a drum loop could drive effects parameters for a cool rhythms or a vocal recording could control multiple parameters for a “talking” synthesizer. The audio can even be a “live” source through the A/D input.

2. Massive Sound Creation

MONTAGE features two Iconic Sound Engines modernized for amazing sound playback and complex sound design.

- AWM2

Powered by proprietary Yamaha technology for data compression and sound playback, AWM2 allows tremendous data compression without sound quality loss for unparalleled, realistic sound reproduction.

・128-Note, Stereo polyphony
Experience rich stereo sound without halving the available number of notes.

・Waveform Capacity
MONTAGE features nearly 10 times the waveform capacity of the MOTIF XF, allowing more samples per instrument for incredibly realistic and nuanced sound.

・Integrated Flash Memory
MONTAGE includes 1.75 GB of user flash memory with high speed reading/writing for your own custom samples or synth libraries from yamahasynth.com.

- FM-X

An amazingly sophisticated pure synthesizer engine capable of producing classic ‘80s or cutting-edge EDM sound with incredible dynamic range, power and fidelity. MONTAGE features an 8-operator FM architecture and 128-note polyphony, allowing for a massive array of sound design options.
- Content

Every instrument needs great content to inspire your creativity. MONTAGE features a huge range of incredible sounds like a brand-new Yamaha CFX Premium Grand Piano, detailed new strings and woodwinds and select content from the DX and TX family, all modernized to take advantage of the Motion Control Synthesis Engine.

・Compatibility
MONTAGE is directly compatible with Motif XF Voices. Yamaha is developing an FM converter to make it compatible with DX7 series Voices as well.

・Bösendorfer Piano
As part of the MONTAGE introduction, Yamaha is pleased to offer an incredible Bösendorfer Imperial Premium Grand Piano.

- Effects

From high definition reverbs to incredibly detailed Virtual Circuit Modeling (VCM) effects, MONTAGE is loaded with DSP innovation, power and, most importantly, sound quality. Use effects like Beat Repeat, Vinyl Break or Bit Crusher to get a modern EDM sound. You can even add a compressor with sidechain for a modern “ducking” effect. Or go retro with vintage effects like Analog Delay, VCM Phaser or a variety of Amp Simulators. Piano players will appreciate piano-focused effects like Damper Resonance for a super-realistic piano experience and the HD reverbs that let you put yourself in any performance space.
- Pure Analog Circuit

MONTAGE features professional balanced outputs with “Pure Analog Circuit” (PAC). PAC improves the quality of signal after being converted to analog from digital for clear harmonic reproduction and even frequency response. The result is an output capable of reproducing MONTAGE’s internal content expressively with power and clarity.
3. Streamlined Workflow

How do you want to integrate your instrument with your system? How do you want to organize the onboard content? How do you want to interact with the instrument while you play? MONTAGE answers these questions and more with a flexible, streamlined workflow.

- USB Audio/MIDI Connection

Connect MONTAGE to your computer with a single USB cable and capture every nuance of your creativity into your DAW. MONTAGE’s powerful USB driver can send 16 and receive 3 channels of STEREO 24 bit/44.1 kHz digital audio to/from your computer or iOS device (MONTAGE is class compliant, no driver needed!), no other hardware required!

The USB connection also features full MIDI support of 16 channels.

* MONTAGE supports the sampling rate up to 192 kHz.
- SSS (Seamless Sound Switching)

Seamless Sound Switching (SSS) lets you change performances seamlessly without any cut-off in envelope or effects. This is perfect for live performances where you end one song and start another without stopping.

* This function is only available for Performances that have a maximum of 8 parts.
- A/D Input

The A/D input processes external audio sources with your instrument’s DSP. Use mics, guitars or any line source as an input and process with the internal effects.

You can even use these sources with the Envelope Follower or Sidechain for a truly unique sound.
- Physical Control

Eight Rotary Encoders and Faders with Stepladder LED

MONTAGE features a comprehensive set of physical controls for intuitive music making and sound creation.

・Touch Screen
Select and change parameters directly with the new color touch screen.

・Eight Rotary Encoders and Faders with Stepladder LED
Stepladder LEDs next to the faders indicate position making it easy to see where your current mix position is.

・Keyboard Action
MONTAGE is available in three different configurations:

MONTAGE6 and 7 feature the premium FSX semi-weighted synthesizer action with aftertouch in 61 and 76 keys respectively.

MONTAGE8 features an 88 key, fully-weighted Balanced Hammer action with aftertouch. This provides equal resistance for each key across the keyboard and is perfect for playing a variety of instruments from acoustic piano to electric piano, synth sounds, organ and more!

- LIVE SET

Live Set lets you organize your Performances however you want without copying, changing order or renaming. When a Performance is selected, you can easily register it to a Live Set. This is perfect for playing gigs or even creating your own organization scheme for Performances.
- Direct Control Assignment

Direct Control Assignment assigns controls at the touch of a button. Simply select a parameter, hit the Direct Control Assignment button and move the controller to control that parameter. It’s easy!
- Cubase AI bundle

MONTAGE is bundled with Cubase AI, Steinberg's professional music production application that offers integrated recording and editing."
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Indeed - that's 1028 oscillators available at a given moment!

1024 Razz
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jan....

Sounds very interesting indeed... And quite innovative
Might make a perfect partner with a Kronos for many...

128 stereo!!!! Polyphony for AWM is huge
8 opperator FM
16 channels audio over USB, allowing you to use your VST effects in Cubase on 16 channels in real time and sending them back...

Tough not much information about computer integration and remote controll

Embarassed

Cant wayt to get my hands on this instruemnt... And hopefully a manuall...
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.musiker-board.de/threads/yamaha-montage.630868/page-5#post-7767097

Same news now with pictures, on german website but in English
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Music is expression. MONTAGE adds a new level of expression with the Motion Control Synthesis Engine. This engine allows a variety of methods to interact with and channel your creativity into finding your own unique sound.

- Super Knob

Create dynamic sound changes from radical to sublime with the Super Knob. The Super Knob can control multiple parameters simultaneously resulting in anything you can imagine.

For example: change your listening position from right in front of an instrument to in the back seat of a concert hall. Or radically change the character of a Performance from atmospheric and mellow to rhythmic and edgy.

The Super Knob can even be assigned to a second FC7 foot controller making it easy to manipulate the sound when playing with both hands.

- Motion SEQ

Motion Sequences are tempo-synchronized, completely customizable control sequences that can be assigned to virtually any synthesizer parameter and provide incredible creative new ways of programming sound.

Motion Sequences also have dedicated controls on the front panel making it easy to manipulate and change in real-time, providing incredible interactivity and expression.

- Envelope Follower

The Envelope Follower converts audio into a control source for control of virtually any synthesizer parameter. For example, a drum loop could drive effects parameters for a cool rhythms or a vocal recording could control multiple parameters for a “talking” synthesizer. The audio can even be a “live” source through the A/D input.

Sounds like a karma type of engine to me?
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's obvious now that the Montage is not intended to be a workstation, but a (performance) synth.
However, reading the specs I wish Yamaha had somehow included a good sequencer onboard.

The envelope follower sounds like a great feature.
I'm also curious about the Pure Analog Converter, how it works and how it sounds.
Together with the VCM effects there's no doubt in my mind that this synth really will deliver the goods.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit puzzled what Richard Devine meant by alien technology that took him several weeks to get his head around.

I realise we only have a spec sheet - but nothing jumps out as alien.

I think this is a great move by Yamaha and I'll likely get one - but I would have liked them to have included an enhanced versionof RCM synthesis from the SY range and some sort of FDSP effects which are no big deal DSP wise these days but which are an astounding idea (one effect per note - so - polyphonic effects - and it's awesome Smile ). A trick or two missed here, perhaps.
chilly7
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan1 wrote:
It's obvious now that the Montage is not intended to be a workstation, but a (performance) synth.
However, reading the specs I wish Yamaha had somehow included a good sequencer onboard.

The envelope follower sounds like a great feature.
I'm also curious about the Pure Analog Converter, how it works and how it sounds.
Together with the VCM effects there's no doubt in my mind that this synth really will deliver the goods.

I think it is pretty dump to call Workstation synthesizers. And here is why.
Workstation means that it is a place where awrything can be done.
With todays advancements of technology only music PC can be called workstation. Because the full song can be done only on it.
So i think it is pretty logical to call synthesizers synthsesizers.
I think there is no feature for Workstation synthesizers because it is basicly artificaly locked bound of PC+MidiController+Audio Interface+software. But nowdays you can buy awrything separately and you are not artificially tied to one brand.
For example i can have Korg MIDI controller, Apple PC, Msb Technology audio interface and Uhe software. And when Uhe relise a new version of their software i do not need artificially buy new awrything.
I think the future is in making parts (Software, PC, Midi Controllers, audio interface and etc) separately. The exception can be analog musical gear. Synthesizers, amplifiers, effects and etc.

Last edited by chilly7 on Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This keyboard now reads as pretty cool! Yes, this might be the first new "synthesizer" that Yamaha has made. Will need to check it out and the price.
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chilly7 wrote:
I think it is pretty dump to call Workstation synthesizers. And here is why.
Workstation means that it is a place where awrything can be done.
With todays advancements of technology only music PC can be called workstation. Because the full song can be done only on it.
So i think it is pretty logical to call synthesizers synthsesizers.
I think there is no feature for Workstation synthesizers because it is basicly artificaly locked bound of PC+MidiController+Audio Interface+software. But nowdays you can buy awrything separately and you are not artificially tied to one brand.
For example i can have Korg MIDI controller, Apple PC, Msb Technology audio interface and Uhe software. And when Uhe relise a new version of their software i do not need artificially buy new awrything.

Your argument is becoming old and stale, the DAW vs. the workstation.
The KRONOS IS a workstation, because it allows you to play instruments and record them even to the point of making complete songs.
It is not a replacement of the DAW nor is it intended as a replacement thereof, but it is an addition to.
It's nice to have a hardware workstation to work on, especially when it comes to reliability, stability and a fast intuitive way of working on your ideas without switching back and forth.
Both have their place and function.

It's fine by me if you want to abide by your self-created dualistic paradigm, but to insinuate that it is dumb to label the KRONOS a workstation is incorrect, rude, and quite unnecessary.
And may I suggest that for once, after all these years, you finally learn to use a spellchecker?
DodgingRain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure why it needed a new name. To me this is a next generation motif without some of the workstation stuff but with an FM engine instead. If there is a decent vst editor that works and the price is reasonable, given it isn't a workstation I would guess around $1500 list, then it might be worth picking up. Maybe they went with a new name to better differentiate the stuff with and without workstation functionality?

AWM2 is a good engine for a rompler and it does sound really good but it's been around forever and beefing up the spec's on it doesn't really get one excited. FM is to complicated and difficult to program even with a decent interface to be much more than a preset engine for 99% of users. Sounds like the other stuff may be a pull of features from Cubase for note expression, etc.

Seems an evolutionary upgrade from the motif, not alien at all. But obviously a capable machine. To me it has the same basic problem of all these types of synths in that the user interface is crap with no personality but just some random generic controllers slapped on and a touch screen.

Is it just me or does Yammi seem like an impersonal corporate monolith producing good but generic products without a lot of personality. Even the reface line doesn't seem to have much personality. Yammi doesn't seem to release stuff that's half-baked and buggy like korg and roland but Yammi doesn't release anything that is inspiring either.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After years of bitching about the Motif deadend, I am starting to get interested, but need the official specs and to hear what it sounds like..... Smile

And need a synth with good performance features for controlling other synths as well. But I guess I might be able to swap the roles of the Kronos and this (if I want it) in that respect.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 7 of 20

Jump to: