Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Montage by Yamaha
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 43, 44, 45  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, for the record, if I'm being overly 'positive' about the Montage it comes from here:

Many of you might not know that when the EX5 was released in 1998 it received an onslaught of negative feedback over the by then quite new Web.

so devastating was that feedback - based almost exclusively on the fact that the EX5 was underpowered in DSP capability and kept issuing a notice to the screen that things you were trying to do were not possible - that it really got up the noses of the user base.

A Yamaha Ireland person at the time told me (with solid inside information) that this sustained negative feedback attack killed off the EX5 and had a real effect internal to Yamaha; contributing to Yamaha leaving synthesis behind, and concentrating on an enhanced version of the EX5 without the VL engine and FDSP synthesis (the culprits in the DSP problem). I was one voice of that negative campaign - I can assure you. In the intervening years I've been highly critical of Yamaha

So I suppose, almost subliminally, because I genuinely see a lot of positives in the Montage, I find myself defending it if I'm seeing it being misrepresented (as it genuinely was in saying it had a maximum polyphony of 120 voices).

And finally - I find it curious that the most intriguing discussion on Montage is on Korgforums.

This Korgforums Latest News" forum is turning out to be a real melting-pot of thoughts on synthesis - and by and large all good discussion (where on other forums it can get quite aggressive for sure).
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's alright Kevin.
Communication in real life can be confusing enough, let alone through text.
But we'll manage. Smile

And regarding the Montage: personally I'm still on the fence.

On the one hand I was disappointed over the fact that I hoped that the Montage would have been a true next generation Motif workstation with more than one additional sound engine, something along the lines of a KRONOS.
Whichever way you turn it, KORG really has produced a benchmark for workstations, and the marketing slogan of the KRONOS being a game changer turned out to be quite correct.

On the other hand, I really like some of the sounds in the Montage I have heard thus far, and it needs no debate that it has a very powerful FM engine with unprecedented programming possibilities.
Specs tell only one part of the story.
When an instrument truly inspires you and feels like a natural extension of your inspiration, that's really priceless.
I'm quite confident that the sales of the Montage will exceed those of the EX5.

I also think that it is important for Yamaha to receive honest feedback from musicians.
Inevitably that means criticism on certain decisions Yamaha made, but if that criticism comes from honest musicians and not from trolls intent on wreaking havoc, I think that is good and constructive, and it allows Yamaha to take the criticism into consideration.

Yamaha feels there is no need to warrant a workstation in the $3000-4000 price range, onboard sequencing abilities are deemed unnecessary in a day and age when most have a computer at home, and I am one of those musicians who feel that they are wrong.
I LIKE to use onboard sequencers, I like to have onboard sampling, I like the engine of the Reface CS so much that it would be great to see this in a Yamaha workstation, I love to have a specialized and finetuned ecosystem as a vehicle for creative expression, one which also allows me to work independently from the computer also.
That's honest and sincere feedback, and if Yamaha receives similar signals from other musicians, maybe they will rethink their future decision based on the feedback they receive.
afr

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin,

I do believe that negative feedback can affect on future decision in the way to develop a product

But, is also true that seems that Yamaha does not care so much about users feedback

E.g. a lot of people are complaining about the sequencer, but they don't care

Look at the answer on Yamahasynth forum, bad mister says: You don't need an on board seq, montage has a new workflow, if you don't like is not the keyboard for you

Is this an answer?

Instead in my opinion they should pay attention and re integrate at least what was available on motif

They don't have to invent nothing

The same for the sampler and other features that people is looking for

In this Korg and Kurzweil are more customer oriented

Cheers

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Actually, for the record, if I'm being overly 'positive' about the Montage it comes from here:

Many of you might not know that when the EX5 was released in 1998 it received an onslaught of negative feedback over the by then quite new Web.

so devastating was that feedback - based almost exclusively on the fact that the EX5 was underpowered in DSP capability and kept issuing a notice to the screen that things you were trying to do were not possible - that it really got up the noses of the user base.

A Yamaha Ireland person at the time told me (with solid inside information) that this sustained negative feedback attack killed off the EX5 and had a real effect internal to Yamaha; contributing to Yamaha leaving synthesis behind, and concentrating on an enhanced version of the EX5 without the VL engine and FDSP synthesis (the culprits in the DSP problem). I was one voice of that negative campaign - I can assure you. In the intervening years I've been highly critical of Yamaha

So I suppose, almost subliminally, because I genuinely see a lot of positives in the Montage, I find myself defending it if I'm seeing it being misrepresented (as it genuinely was in saying it had a maximum polyphony of 120 voices).

And finally - I find it curious that the most intriguing discussion on Montage is on Korgforums.

This Korgforums Latest News" forum is turning out to be a real melting-pot of thoughts on synthesis - and by and large all good discussion (where on other forums it can get quite aggressive for sure).
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afr wrote:
Hi Kevin,

I do believe that negative feedback can affect on future decision in the way to develop a product

But, is also true that seems that Yamaha does not care so much about users feedback

Look at the answer on Yamahasynth forum, bad mister says: You don't need an on board seq, montage has a new workflow, if you don't like is not the keyboard for you

Is this an answer?

Instead in my opinion they should pay attention and re integrate at least what was available on motif

They don't have to invent nothing

The same for the sampler and other features that people is looking for

In this Korg and Kurzweil are more customer oriented

Cheers

Kevin Nolan wrote:

Bad Mister also says these dessigens are totally based on user feedback trough the many surveys they did online asking for community feedback.. But also from discussions on Motifator and yamahasynth.com..

However he presents the outcome of those surveys as facts, where they are mostly opinions of a certain group of people... I.e. Those people that take those surveys serious.
afr

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jObR8avIAkY

Orchestral sounds demo

Sonically speaking is a great keyboard
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>Why don't you simply submit the question at yamahasynth.com?

I did submit to Motifator and others did as well, I could be incorrect, as I said.

What I don't like is that Kevin does not have the machine. Let's be clear about this - Kevin does not have the keyboard.

I posted the answer from one of the programmers who has had the machine for about 1 1/2 years.

Kevin _could_ be right, but he keeps on posting "overly positive" points - like the fact that having only performances is somehow an answer to everything when it is not. AFAIK he has no instruments that do this, I do as well as some others and when we point out that this introduces its own set of problems, he ignores it.

In any case this reminds me of the Jupiter 80 fiasco, and I am out of here. I have my contacts at Yamaha and I will check out the Montage directly from them.
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:

Which user base?

A bunch of idiots who were unable to understand that the EX5 has 2 DSPs, one that handles reverb, chorus and one (dual) ins FX, and another one than can handle 3 more (dual) ins FX or one AN voice or one VL voice or one FDSP voice, thus requiring the user to make a choice when setting up a performance.

Ok, we are musicians, not technicians, but does that mean we should not be able to understand something as simple as that?

I knew this before buying my EX5, and I must confess I was irritated by the infamous "DSP resource full !" message when I first got it, but as soon as my brain regained control I could make the best of a wonderful sounding machine.

It's a shame that synth makers have to cosy up to dummies in order to stay in business
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Group Hug !!!

Smile

Aron - I'm nice - promise!!!!

I admit to not having the machine, but all the specs and videos do bare out the spec's I'm quoting. Not trying to get on a high horse on this and if wrong, not a problem at all admitting it. I admit I do shoot from from the hip a bit - but I do read all this stuff thoroughly - and in fairness - I have no problem issuing apologies in public where I got it wrong or was a tad aggressive. Have huge respect for this forum, and all its members. It's a great forum and a credit to Sharp (and Korg for hosting it).

But lets get rid of the personal dimension to all of this and get back to the Montage.

I was thinking about what you were saying Aron, but if you watch the Yamaha NAMM interview on Sonicstte.com he does say 128 note polyphony for the piano. If this is the case - and your point about it taking up two slots in a performance is correct (no reason to doubt it Smile ) - then it might be that, because the Pianos programs are build on stereo samples, they may need two slots so as to be panned hard left and right.

So - the issue you likely address is a slightly different but equally interesting one - namely - when using stere sampled instruments, they take up two performance slots, leaving you with only 6 others for your disposal, and not seven.

In other words Aron - the cost is one of a slot in the performance, and not polyphony.

I do think you'll be pleasantly surprised to find that Piano's are at 128 note polyphony - but as you astutely point out - at he cost of an extra performance slot.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The orchestral sounds in the demo don't seem at all bad.

DmitryKo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afr wrote:
Yamaha does not care so much about users feedback

Is this an answer?

That is a perfectly valid answer to me. To cite BadMister (aka Phil Clendeninn)

https://yamahasynth.com/index.php?option=com_easydiscuss&view=post&id=5389&Itemid=851#reply-5454
Quote:
... you might want to learn more about Cubase, especially if you think it is only linear in nature... have you never recorded in looping (Cycle) mode in Cubase? You can even do this with the entry level AI version... The "Arranger" feature (found in the Cubase Pro version) allows you to create "Play Order" regions which are very much like the Pattern Sections you are familiar with - and they work for both MIDI and Audio and allow you to create a Chain (Play Order) and even manipulate them live.

https://yamahasynth.com/index.php?option=com_easydiscuss&view=post&id=5079&Itemid=851#reply-5301
Quote:
... if you were using it as your primary sequencing-editing-recording device, hey, the computer has been gaining steadily in popularity since 1980 (just saying). It cannot be news.... Those who are thinking they are going to miss Pattern mode, probably will, but they probably have not seen this kind of workflow as it developed inside of Cubase. Not only could you always record in cycling regions, the linear structure can be divided into PLAY ORDER regions that can "chain" the results.

I agree with the above. I've been using sequencing/DAW software since 1993 and I cannot find any valid reason why, in the year 2016, you would want to edit a song on a 5" QVGA screen and not on a $500 15" notebook ($300 when on sale) using a free copy of Cubase AI 8.

Today I was toying with Performance Record mode on the Motif XF. I greatly enjoyed playing along with the arpeggios and appreciated how I can outline a complete idea in just a few takes (and I equally ejoyed a similar Auto Song Setup function on my Korg Triton LE, introduced with OS update v1.50)

And then I was entirely frustrated when I had to make a few simple edits which would normally take me just a few mouse clicks on the computeru, but took me like an hour using the onboard editing. This was in the linear Song mode - I wouldn't ever touch pattern mode on the Motif XF, making patterns and loops is so much easier with MIDI Clips and Groove Clips in Cakewalk Sonar X and Steinberg Cubase 8.

I totally appreciate how the Montage intends to solve this problem and I just hope that Cubase AI extension will offer an easy way to setup and recall any Peformance (multi) from your Cubase project.

Bachus wrote:
Bad Mister also says these dessigens are totally based on user feedback trough the many surveys they did online asking for community feedback.. But also from discussions on Motifator and yamahasynth.com..

However he presents the outcome of those surveys as facts, where they are mostly opinions of a certain group of people... I.e. Those people that take those surveys serious.

The actual quote is:
https://yamahasynth.com/index.php?option=com_easydiscuss&view=post&id=5079&Itemid=851#reply-5301
Quote:
The Surveys that you perhaps participated in three and five years ago, had impact on what Montage became (thanks to all our Yamaha users who participated), and Pro Keyboard Survey is likely gathering information on some far distant project.

... And we don't just count on surveys, Yamaha is out there, in stores, talking with customers, talking with potential customers, so while surveys help, they are not the only way we gather info, obviously. And yes, sales numbers are important... While surveys tell you a lot about what people think/dream about, the sales numbers are like the proof-of-the-pudding, because they tell you what people will actually buy!

We are always interested in what people are doing. When it comes to feature requests: A lot of times these "wish list" things are so pie-in-the-sky impossible that you don't know how to nicely just chuckle without hurting some one's feelings. And Please, ranting on a website about how passionate you are about this or that, is probably the least likely way to have any real serious attention being paid to what you think is a "no-brainer" reason to buy or you know a feature "everyone" wants. Surveys are of much more interest to those who matter in making the decisions.

I recall the above was already explained three, five, and ten years ago when Yamaha USA did previous online surveys on Motifator.com

You may feel that your own concerns are perfectly valid and should outweigh anyone else's argument, or you may feel that everyone agrees with your concerns because they do not argue with you. The fact of life is, quite a few people have the time or desire to post regularity on an Internet forum dedicated to a certain a music keyboard manufacturer. Most real-world users don't think the product is so much broken - it's just their opinion is not visible to us here. Most people who buy (or don't buy) these keyboards have other interesting things to do, like actually playing these keyboards, recording other players, producing music with keyboard players and recording engineers, etc. They visit the sites like this one to research the product they are interested in, not to post lenghty comments about a product they do not own yet or do not even intend to own.

These people who visit the site infrequently and only browse the forms are more than likely to take a short survey though. And I'd think survey participation is an order of magnitude higher than forum participation in the form of posts per day.

Yamaha USA has to have a significant influence on the features include in new products, since it's the world's largest market for music keyboards. And if they needed a market research or a product research, they certainly wouldn't base it on forum posts. They probably read their support forums and make a few notes from time to time, but you cannot sample forum posts in a statistically significant and scientifically correst way, like a survey would. It's not possible without knowing the demographics such as age, country, occupation, primary use of the instrument, etc. and you cannot reliably extract this information from a forum post.

That's why they'd rather pay attention to their target audience - like Stevie Wonder and other notable keyboard players. It's a halo product for Yamaha - a top-of-the-line product associated with professional keyboard players, which helps sell other less expensive products. As a former CTO of E-mu put it, "There was one significant problem with selling to musicians: your customers were always broke"

Last edited by DmitryKo on Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Montage sequencer should have basic editing so you can at least change a note. Other than that I'm content with the specs and the sounds I've heard from demos. I will likely get one.

I'm curious ... Does MIDI In from USB/Cubase get echoed to MIDI DIN Out or Thru?
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't remember where, but it was said that USB midi and DIN midi can't be used at the same time with the Montage-

@DmitryKo
None of us knows what kind of user reaearch Yamaha has done. And none of us users can take his own contacts as statistically relevant.

The one thing I can say however is
a) that among former Motif users I talked with most are dissatisfied with several areas of real downgrades of the Montage compared with the Motif (sequencer, sampling, etc etc.), and a bit uncertain if the upgrades (some new sounds, FM-X, Superknob etc.) will outweigh the downgrades.
b) there is a lot of disappointment concerning the following areas compared with a workstation like the Kronos, mainly concerning:
- missing VAs
- missing sequencer functionality and low midi song limit (64)
- missing B3 clone (dislike for the Yamaha B3 sounds and the really weak Leslie sim)
- missing access to sound upgrades by easy user sampling, with plenty of memory and streaming

There's still a lot to like about the Montage, but it is really FAR from any overall convincing concept IMHO, especially for keyboarders who want to be able to do some gigging with just one multifunctional keyboard, or for those who mainly use one besides a VA/analog synth or other second tier keys.

And concerning the sequencer:
I myself use Cubase or (if not at home) an iPad with Cubasis for recording, and wouln't like to use the Kronos seuqencer for that. But I would never want to use something as basic and limited as the Yamaha Montage sequencer for that: this looks like a definitive no go to me (and to others I talked to as well).
And even concerning recording, when debating in a German forum, I was surprised, that some keyboarders insisted they wanted and needed the Kronos sequencer for recording as well, doing some song edit changes in Hotel rooms between gigs, or adding some bars for a playback intro etc. They really use this functionality and would get by even less with a Montage.

Last edited by jimknopf on Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:56 pm; edited 4 times in total
Tschury

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
>Why don't you simply submit the question at yamahasynth.com?

I did submit to Motifator and others did as well, I could be incorrect, as I said.

What I don't like is that Kevin does not have the machine. Let's be clear about this - Kevin does not have the keyboard.

I posted the answer from one of the programmers who has had the machine for about 1 1/2 years.

Kevin _could_ be right, but he keeps on posting "overly positive" points - like the fact that having only performances is somehow an answer to everything when it is not. AFAIK he has no instruments that do this, I do as well as some others and when we point out that this introduces its own set of problems, he ignores it.

In any case this reminds me of the Jupiter 80 fiasco, and I am out of here. I have my contacts at Yamaha and I will check out the Montage directly from them.

From Yamaha's official Montage website FAQ:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-production/synthesizers/montage/#tab=PD5126717 :

Question:

- "Maximum polyphony is 128?"

Official answer from Yamaha:

"AMW2: 128 and FM-X: 128, so 256 poly in max.
These polyphony don't depend on processing resource, you can use always."

Cool
DmitryKo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
None of us knows what kind of user reaearch Yamaha has done.

I quoted Phil Clendeninn, a Yamaha techical specialist and Yamaha USA employee - not some random user.

Quote:
And none of us users can take his own contacts as statistically relevant... among former Motif users I talked with most are dissatisfied with several areas of real downgrades of the Montage compared with the Motif

Then, again, this keyboard is not for them. People from my own representative sample of keyboard players wouldn't really care about sampling or onboard song editing, as they never used it even when it was available in the instrument (such as Korg Triton LE, E-mu E4 Ultra, Yamaha Motif ES and Yamaha Motif XF, among others).
afr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DmitryKo wrote:
jimknopf wrote:
None of us knows what kind of user reaearch Yamaha has done.

I quoted Phil Clendeninn, a Yamaha techical specialist and Yamaha USA employee - not some random user.

Quote:
And none of us users can take his own contacts as statistically relevant... among former Motif users I talked with most are dissatisfied with several areas of real downgrades of the Montage compared with the Motif

Then, again, this keyboard is not for them. People from my own representative sample of keyboard players wouldn't really care about sampling or onboard song editing, as they never used it even when it was available in the instrument (such as Korg Triton LE, E-mu E4 Ultra, Yamaha Motif ES and Yamaha Motif XF, among others).

Fact is that montage is the price target of Kronos

So, even sonically speaking montage seems to be a good keyboard, people will compare everything including all the missing features when compared with kronos

So the market will say the true

Price of Kronos never drop down in 5 or more years, we will see what happens with the montage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 14 of 45

Jump to: