Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the "making styles with midi files" really good

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jac38

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Is the "making styles with midi files" really good Reply with quote

I saw a clip on Youtube that showed how to do it, and they used a Bob Marley song that sounded great. So I thought I should try it, and I did.

Most of the time the results was below "crap". The fills dont work and there was almost nothing there on the variations. Many times, when there is a song that starts slow, every of the 1-4 variations started from track 1 and going from 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 did not work at all. Some times there where new instruments but most times the same on all 4x4.

It was first when I also tried Reggae Music, like Marley, that I got results that I could use. It seems that the clip on Youtube was carfully prepared. I noticed that it is only max 8 channels on the new styles. When you are saving it, it can't find the next empty user place, only where you saved it last time. And when you then don't want to overwrite the last saved and pick another user empty place, it dont go back to the saving, you have to press exit button first....

Another thing is that if you start with finding a song that you first play in song mode and then go to record style from midi, you have to find the file again, and I dont know how it is for you but sometimes I dont know exactly where I am on a SD card, and finding that file gets complicated. If you have it loaded in your player, I think you shouldnt need to find it again when you want to use it and make a new style....

Last I tried to use a Classic Beethoven symphony and the reslut was still only 8 channels and the result was mostly chaos....

Anyone with better results?
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While this idea is a brilliant one, in practice its a hit and miss affair and while Korg should be commended for gracing the Pa4x with it my own view is that this kind of technology is in its infancy
Yamaha S90ES, Korg Triton Pro, EXB Moss, Roland XV5080, Korg EX8000, Korg Pa4x 76, Korg Kronos 88, Crumar MOJO, Logic Pro X, V Collection, Novation SL61,Vienna, Korg Pa4x , EC-5, Vienna, Arturia V Collection, Roland SC88 Pro, Roland D110, Alesis SR16, Alesis D4
DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It helps to add markers to the midi file. I have had mixed results, but with the right midi file it works o.k. Still have to adjust levels etc. It's not perfect for sure.
jac38

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I got a error message saying "This .mid file is not suitable for conversion to Style". When this happend I had not tested this more then once, so I did not think of checking what whas so special with that file...
jac38

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonM wrote:
It helps to add markers to the midi file. I have had mixed results, but with the right midi file it works o.k. Still have to adjust levels etc. It's not perfect for sure.

What type of music or type of file is a "right file", in your experiences?
DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only tried it on a few files. The ones I had most success with were commercially produced. I will be trying a few more in the next few days.
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Is the "making styles with midi files" really Reply with quote

jac38 wrote:

Last I tried to use a Classic Beethoven symphony and the reslut was still only 8 channels and the result was mostly chaos....

Waiting for the PA4x to arrive, so haven't tried this myself, but I still think a Beethoven Symphony would definitely be the wrong choice for this. That type of music has so much going on ...I would use a pop midi file. It would probably be a good idea if you clean it up in a DAW first.

jac38

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the "making styles with midi files" really Reply with quote

Sam CA wrote:
jac38 wrote:

Waiting for the PA4x to arrive, so haven't tried this myself, but I still think a Beethoven Symphony would definitely be the wrong choice for this. That type of music has so much going on ...I would use a pop midi file. It would probably be a good idea if you clean it up in a DAW first.

Sorry, you have to think of me with Pa4x or making music, as a "manual for dummies" type of level. I don't have a DAW and/or know what it is.... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: