Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newb seeking advice from the old salts ;)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Max001

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: Newb seeking advice from the old salts ;) Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I have a question that I'd welcome your advice on.

I've always wanted to learn to play piano, but never got around to it. Moved around a lot with work. I plan to have a more settled existence from now on and have been reading digital piano reviews voraciously for a while. I still may move around a bit, so digital makes sense. Whatever I end up with, I'll be getting lessons, as I intend to really commit to this.

I was torn between buying a basic used digital piano like a Yamaha P105 / Korg SP170 or similar and upgrading later, or, spending a bit more up front on a model likely to last me several years.
Which brings me to the SV 1. First time I heard a demo on YouTube, I wanted it. The voices cover most musical styles during my lifetime and I have very eclectic tastes.
I've sourced one for about £600 without a scratch on it, which I'm told has only had studio use. Two keys were clicking loudly when released, but I'm told it's an easy fix and a Korg tech will fix it, plus give the instrument the once over. Plus there's a one year warranty, to a Korg service centre.
I'm in the UK and sellers of used digital pianos seem to be able to get near retail prices, so everything considered this seems like a good deal. If I went basic and used, I'd be spending at least £400 anyway.
My question is. Do I jump in at the deep end and buy the SV 1?

Any and all advice is very welcome.
Cheers Very Happy
oy5t3h

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Newb seeking advice from the old salts ;) Reply with quote

Max001 wrote:
Hi Guys

I've always wanted to learn to play piano, but never got around to it. Moved around a lot with work. I plan to have a more settled existence from now on and have been reading digital piano reviews voraciously for a while. I still may move around a bit, so digital makes sense. Whatever I end up with, I'll be getting lessons, as I intend to really commit to this.

I was torn between buying a basic used digital piano like a Yamaha P105 / Korg SP170 or similar and upgrading later, or, spending a bit more up front on a model likely to last me several years.
Which brings me to the SV 1. First time I heard a demo on YouTube, I wanted it. The voices cover most musical styles during my lifetime and I have very eclectic tastes.
I've sourced one for about £600 without a scratch on it, which I'm told has only had studio use. Two keys were clicking loudly when released, but I'm told it's an easy fix and a Korg tech will fix it, plus give the instrument the once over. Plus there's a one year warranty, to a Korg service centre.
I'm in the UK and sellers of used digital pianos seem to be able to get near retail prices, so everything considered this seems like a good deal. If I went basic and used, I'd be spending at least £400 anyway.

Cheers Very Happy

Choosing a piano is a personal choice - there's no right or wrong answer. The SV-1 is beautiful, and still has some of the best electric piano sounds available at any price.

As a home piano, though, it has been left behind by various models, however, both in quality of sound, and in features. Whether those features will bother you, only you can say.

For £600, I'd go for the SV-1 over a P105 or SP170, for sure.
Max001

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Newb seeking advice from the old salts ;) Reply with quote

oy5t3h wrote:
Max001 wrote:
Hi Guys

Cheers Very Happy

Choosing a piano is a personal choice - there's no right or wrong answer. The SV-1 is beautiful, and still has some of the best electric piano sounds available at any price.

As a home piano, though, it has been left behind by various models, however, both in quality of sound, and in features. Whether those features will bother you, only you can say.

For £600, I'd go for the SV-1 over a P105 or SP170, for sure.

Thanks Paul. I'm into nearly all genres of music, which is why the SV-1 appealed. It may not do everything you might desire, but what it does, it seems to do well. Certainly well enough for me. Unless something else compelling pops up, I will most likely go for it.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SV-1 is highly regarded. Within the price range, I would also suggest considering the Korg Krome. It is worth looking at for the range and quality of sounds it offers, and the considerable versatility delivered by Combis, arpeggiator, sequencer, drum track, effects and effect routing options. The Krome makes the SV-1 seem very limited indeed in its capabilities. The sheer complexity of the Krome may not be for everyone, but it is possible to use it at the menu top level i.e. just choosing instruments or sounds and playing away without any menu diving, and still getting a thoroughly rewarding experience. The getting to grips with the innards of the sound engines, and other features can come later.

As for having lessons, go for it. They will give structure, and teach much that is relevant, but I would also advocate experimenting a lot outside of the lesson space. Good things will come from that.
CowboyNQ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own both an SV-1 and a Krome, and I'd say this - totally agree that the Krome is WAY more versatile. It's a great keyboard with really good sounds, deep editing capability and an on board sequencer. At the price point it's ridiculously good value.

However where the Krome falls down for piano playing is the keybed. Both the synth weighted 61/73 and the fully weighted 88 are not conducive to good control when playing piano (in my view).

On the other hand the RH3 keybed in the SV-1 is a thing of beauty. Also, even though the SV-1 is getting a little long in the tooth now, it still has incredibly good EP's with some great effects and amp modelling options, and some pretty good AP's, although not much choice in that department.

The other point in the SV-1's favour is how very easy it is to use.
Max001

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I really appreciate all your comments.
Funnily enough, having taken a fresh look at the SV-1 versus Krome over the past few days, I think the Krome is the way to go. I don't see my skills out-growing the capabilites of the Krome for a long time, if ever.
I'll be mindful of your caveat Cowboy, about piano control and I'll try to get regular time on an acoustic, to gain breath as well as depth.
Thanks again for your really helpful comments guys Very Happy
Max001

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for all your advice guys.

Had another noodle on my options and as I have the opportunity to get a great deal on a used Kronos X, going to go for that instead.

Wish me luck! Wink
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some say the Kronos is the best keyboard on the planet. I've yet to see any clear evidence that is isn't.

You won't regret it. The only thing I will say is that if it's the 88-key version, it's a heavy old thing! The 61 is much more luggable, plus the joystick and vector joystick can both be controlled at the same time using one hand.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: