Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

At last - got to play one!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: At last - got to play one!!! Reply with quote

Hi all

Played the PA4X-61 today but got interrupted so only had about 20 mins on it -
    It looks fantastic – and is really solid and professional-looking
    keybed was awesome
    Acoustic drums are really great – better than I have heard on any keyboard so far.
    Hammond/Leslie vastly improved – much improved organ presets too – on screen drawbars work seamlessly – smooth as (can always use sliders too).
    Brass is unreal – so so good – the new DNC2 is superb.
    Playing "legato” on saxes, trumpets, strings was outstanding
    Orchestral and strings sounds are definitely up there with the best now – thought they were great from the YouTube demos but was still pleasantly surprised!!! Fabulous selection too – DNC and DNC2 mind-blowing configurations!!!
    Saxes were always good but even more realistic on PA4X. The sax ensemble sound I tried was awesome.
    Didn’t get to play too many styles but those I did play were very crisp clean and exciting – great drum kits.
    Styles’ rhythm guitar ACCs (on a couple of styles I tried) were great – looks like the PA4X’s “guitar mode” is greatly enhanced
    Lots of great guitar sounds – Strats, Tele’s, Les Pauls, 335’s
    SORRY guys but I thought the touch screen was magnificent – responsive and so clear – and bigger of course - nicer to use than my PA3X and Kronos screens.
    The PA4X was not up-to-date re OS (just out of box) but I didn’t encounter any problems.

Now I know this is not a really fair assessment as I only managed 20 minutes - hoping to get into the store again tomorrow or next week.

I am sure you are bored with my complaining about the cost but I would have to consider the PA4X replacing both my PA3X and Kronos at this stage.
Anyhow - much more hands-on and serious evaluation to come for me.

I know there will be things I don't like but I haven't gotten into that depth yet.
The sounds seem to have a lot more DSP than on previous models (true? or was it my imagination?)

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just gets better, the more you play it!
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woohoo, Pete! You sound like the proverbial kid in the candy store. Laughing Cool
Paolo@Korg
Korg Italy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete,

Thank you very much for your quick review.

Effects are different than in Pa3X. Also, there are ambience samples in the percussions and in some other sounds, so there is a greater impression of "more effect" (not DSP-generated, but recorded from the real sound).

Paolo
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you finally got your hands on one and your ears around the sound, glad you like it. I now know a few players here in the UK that have the Pa4x and the main comments from the owners is the sound, WOW ! I have myself played the Pa4x to a number of musicians who play other instruments with these players being very discriminating along with a couple of studio engineers, without exception they have all marked the Korg Pa4x up there and then some. The brass sounds are stunning as are the strings and I am now finding that instead of running Vienna on my Macbook Pro ( which up until now provided me with strings and orchestral sounds live on stage ) the Pa4x can stand shoulder to shoulder with that configuration, whats more its all in one place under one control surface, I really like that.

There are some shortcomings present but as the OS is in a state of flux I am sure that these are being dealt with as we discuss.

My over view of the Pa4x after 10 weeks of ownership and use is this, The more you play it the more it is giving. I think the build quality is great and far better than the T5 which feels to me like a plastic monolith loaded with DSP sounds and whoever is playing it sounding like a T5 clone, the keybed on the T5 is cheap and plastic and playing piano sounds require too much adjustment at least for me, in fact the T5 keybed reminds me of the late 70's early 80's A and C series home organs like the A55 C55 etc, uck !

Korg have in my opinion made a professional instrument at home on a local gig to a major stage with depth of programability to suit everyone and between the high quality keybed and stella real world sound palatte Korg should get a big pat on the back.
Yamaha S90ES, Korg Triton Pro, EXB Moss, Roland XV5080, Korg EX8000, Korg Pa4x 76, Korg Kronos 88, Crumar MOJO, Logic Pro X, V Collection, Novation SL61,Vienna, Korg Pa4x , EC-5, Vienna, Arturia V Collection, Roland SC88 Pro, Roland D110, Alesis SR16, Alesis D4
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've yet to see one...but good to hear about your positive experience. So far none of the discontinued features have affected the way I use the keyboard. Hopefully the list won't grow longer. There's no official list of the discontinued features!

barry murphy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right pete. I'll start saving. I figure about 2030.
Barry
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies guys - they have given me even more confidence now.
But I WILL get some more hands-on in this coming week.

Ideally I need to have a PA4X next to my PA3X for a while so I can comfortably "change over" all my settings, SONGBOOK and specific STYLES I still love to have (even from the i3 !!!!). No I am not going to try to turn my PA4X into a PA3X - I look forward to embracing the new features and OS changes - don't think there is anything (changes) that would stop me from buying it but I have some more serious in-store hands-on to undergo first.

There are 3 "used" PA3Xs for sale locally so I may have some difficulty in selling mine right now - anyhow, some financial decisions to be made.... it is interesting that these 3 PA3X's are up for more $$ than I paid for mine new - Aussie $$ has really messed up buying new imported goods but has some benefit in selling used gear - so, not so bad.

Hi Barry
Not too happy with 2030 unless you meant 30 minutes past 8 Wink

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
barry murphy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish. I just can,t part with my 3x so I would be replacing the kn 6500.
Barry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: