Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the perfect SV-2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pink elefant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: the perfect SV-2 Reply with quote

Hi,
I started a new trio with chanson-electro oriented musicstyle. I´m playing the Kronos 61 with a Doepfer PK 76 that make me soundwise quite happy. But it´s to heavy and the optical look doesn´t fit to our project. So I was thinking to buy a SV-1, but compared to the Kronos it´s a decline.
What I like is this retrofeeling with direct controls and no displays, I think it´s the only one on the market with this approach.

So I would definitly buy a SV-2 with following improvements:

must:
Kronos acoustic and electro pianos and the CX-3 organ.
weight (73 keys) not more than 12kg (maybe with NH (Natural Weighted Hammer Action) keys
design retro but not round. on the top an even surface (at least 20cm), so you can put gear on it like the new MS-20 module
soundchance without cutting the last sound

nice:
an external section like the nord stage from clavia
a joystick controller or similiar for external gear
delay with reverse mode
only few but nice retrosounds like mellotrons, chamberlin

So what do you think and will there be a chance for a SV-2?

here a nice picture of an oldstyle piano with a surface to put equipement on top.
http://juggernautmusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Photo-2014-07-19-5-09-50-PM-300x224.jpg
i_am_binky

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AGREE
flat-top, yeh that'd be great
no sound cutoff when changing patches. yes
joystick? if you mean PITCH-BEND wheel, sure i'd like that, tho i imagine most would look askance.

DISAGREE
don't want to use SV-1 as a MIDI keyboard controller; there are lots already available, while few are dedicated to tine/piano; diluting that wouldn't thrill me.

also disagree with organ patches in general on a weighted-keyboard.

ADD TO LIST
    -replace organ patches
    -add Harpsichord, Jeu de Timbre (Glockenspiel w/keys), Kalimba, etc...
    -saveable transpose/mastertune per patch
    -more synth/pad patches... i'd like a larger selection to pick from
    -assignable splits, and
    -assignable pads/rx-layer... (ie; any pad to any patch)
    -tape echo fx bpm assigned to tap tempo
    -amp works "within" the patch so overall volume stays same on output
    -like a snappier keyboard; less "piano", more rhodes/wurlie

...and yes i believe there'll be an SV-2... sometime.

it's a vintage emulator, so will never be a big demand instrument... that Korg keeps releasing SV-1 flavours tells me they're still interested in the market.

'm not worried if they take a while longer, more concerned they won't get as many things right as Korg did with the SV-1; in spite of some weird choices, it is a unique instrument that is (to me) very musical and playable with a great response Smile

Last edited by i_am_binky on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
RogerL

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been hoping for an SV-2 for a few years now and I dont think it will happen. Last two NAMMS have been the silly reverse color keyboard which may appeal to some folks but hasnt changed the basic sounds.

I hope I am wrong since the SV-1 is a great concept and with a few upgrades could be great again but after three years, I am not holding my breathe. Korg seems to want everyone to get the Kronos which is much more KB then I need and too expensive for me.

I am looking at the Yamaha CP-4, very nice board with great AP/EP sounds.
i_am_binky

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and i forgot... i would like the SV-2 to have

1) an editor capable of adjusting each string, including things like decay, attack, buzz, tune, etc.
2) a feature that detunes strings over time, based on how often they're played, also please include a reset button
3) custom every-string-adjustable-settings global-patches included, representing; new, worn, mods, prepared, etc.
4) all this in a storable-recallable-editable format
5) anything else that lets us customize the sound...
Mojo Bone

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top of the list would be an overwrite button on the front panel, so you can simply make your tweaks to a given preset and save them; just that, I don't need to be able to save to a different preset slot on the fly, but having to hook up a computer to overwrite the simplest changes is a huge PITA, the Favorites buttons notwithstanding. In fact, keep those radio buttons and make them bank switches; you can keep things simple and still have eight times as many patches as are currently available; ROM ain't that expensive, and after all, more is more. It surely couldn't hurt to add an analog bank, a bank for horns, bass, choir, drums/percussion, but please, NO GM bank. Some workstation features would be helpful, (mod and pitch, or maybe a ribbon controller) but I don't need combis or more elaborate splits and layers, since I could get that from Mainstage, or similar.

Next, could we please have a backlit control panel, so we don't have to bring a lighting system to the gig? My SV-1 sits under a smaller, lighter Hammond emulator, so a music stand -mounted clip-on light is not an option and I shouldn't have to Macguyver something together with rope lights on a $1500 axe. I get that a display of any kind would bump up the price, but please, could we have just a little something to show the name of the currently selected patch? I can memorize all the positions, but the guest sitting in with my band probably won't have time for that.

Third, it's fine by me to have only six notches for selecting presets and effects and whatnot, but parameter changes require finer control, a smoother sweep and they should send and respond to MIDI CC data; give us smooth encoders with phosphorescent dials around them, like on a Snark tuner, or Line6' Helix, and make the CC parameters definable per preset patch. The red LEDs are blinding on a dark stage and don't really provide enough info; I can see where the knob is pointing, but I can't tell which knob it is. This is kinda important stuff, not 'something you just have to get used to'.

Fourth, while I'm aware it'd add about $20 to the unit cost, I'd happily pay to be able to run the piggyback inputs through the onboard effects, and speaking of which, I'd be even happier to give up separate phase/flange/delay for an onboard version of your SDD3000, even if you have to simplify the controls somewhat. I wouldn't quite kill for that, but I'd definitely be willing to beat someone up. Obviously, you'll want to keep the wah (maybe add a few different ones or maybe a mic input for a vocoder) and the Leslie.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

ADDENDUM: Yeah, seamless patch change should be standard on everything, by now; there's no sense hamstringing the player in the name of "retro"; same goes for the editor software. Some deeper editing (ADSR, etc) would be welcome. While I don't mind the idea of a flatter top, (it'd be helpful for players that want to add a module or a stompbox of their choosing) that would mean changing the chassis, and tooling is expensive. However, an array of snazzy custom metalflake finishes would be very welcome, indeed. And by the way, I absolutely LOVE the reverse keys; my studio clients are drawn to 'em like a magnet. I bought mine for the sound and playability first, but the visual appeal is undeniable
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe at musikmesse... Next month.

Flat-top would be perfect..
With an interface comparable to the current interface..
Joystick too..

High end weighted keys, current korg keybeds fall short compared to kawai and others..
CowboyNQ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you ruin the SV-1's beautiful action by putting in a NH keybed?
pink elefant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because the weight . But you are right . Once the SV1 is set up on stage the current key Action is wonderful to play - and back pain is forgotton.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: