Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos experts, how can I do this?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AudioProCT

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Kronos experts, how can I do this? Reply with quote

This is a multi-part question, I will explain each part and then hopefully it can be tied together.

Playing in a cover band requires allot of self made programs with splits layers, samples, and backing track playbacks.

1) Patches

Almost all songs will have custom patches made, these patches will probably include 1-2 split points on the keyboard with layers. Some of the tunes are Medleys, so switching patches, sometimes up to 8 different keyboard layouts

2) organization

Since some of the medleys will require 8 sub patches, can they be under 1 label, like " Queen Medley " Also, when they are made, can they be alphabetized for quick selection.

3) in these patches, especially the Medleys there will be backing tracks, sometimes 4-5 during the medley, how can they be implemented to be called up in the patches and going out separate outs. Also while backing track 1 is being played, the ability to also continue to change sounds or patches in the medley without interrupting the track, then going to track 2, etc

I'm sure I didn't explain everything correctly but for reference, this is being done with a Tyros 5.

A registration is made and named, " Queen Medley "
once the registration is selected, there are spots for 8 sub registrations, with each registration having the ability for 4 backing tracks, which can continue as other regs in the bank are selected. and 3 upper tones and one lower tone with layers and/or splits.

I believe something close to this can be done with a PA4x, except the PA4x is limited to 4 instead of 8 patches per songbook entry, and 2 backing tracks.

Thanks[/list]
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos experts, how can I do this? Reply with quote

Audioworks wrote:
This is a multi-part question, I will explain each part and then hopefully it can be tied together.

Playing in a cover band requires allot of self made programs with splits layers, samples, and backing track playbacks.

1) Patches

Almost all songs will have custom patches made, these patches will probably include 1-2 split points on the keyboard with layers. Some of the tunes are Medleys, so switching patches, sometimes up to 8 different keyboard layouts

2) organization

Since some of the medleys will require 8 sub patches, can they be under 1 label, like " Queen Medley " Also, when they are made, can they be alphabetized for quick selection.

3) in these patches, especially the Medleys there will be backing tracks, sometimes 4-5 during the medley, how can they be implemented to be called up in the patches and going out separate outs. Also while backing track 1 is being played, the ability to also continue to change sounds or patches in the medley without interrupting the track, then going to track 2, etc

I'm sure I didn't explain everything correctly but for reference, this is being done with a Tyros 5.

A registration is made and named, " Queen Medley "
once the registration is selected, there are spots for 8 sub registrations, with each registration having the ability for 4 backing tracks, which can continue as other regs in the bank are selected. and 3 upper tones and one lower tone with layers and/or splits.

I believe something close to this can be done with a PA4x, except the PA4x is limited to 4 instead of 8 patches per songbook entry, and 2 backing tracks.

Thanks

Let me address this for you. I'm sure others will too but here's how I approach that very thing.

Patches are known as Programs on the Kronos. Typically you wouldn't do splits in the Program mode. This is more reserved for individual sounds to be designed and set up as a means of playback. You wouldn't *usually* split a guitar and bass or Piano and Bass though you can. It's possible, but not typical. That kind of performance split is reserved for Combi mode which is short for Combination (or a Combination of programs)

For Organization, I would take this approach of Setlist mode. The setlist mode allows you to organize Programs (Let's say you only need a piano sound), Combi's (You have a Piano and Strings sound layered, with Bass on the left hand), Songs (for using the sequencer while playing) and so-on.

You can have your programs and combi's set up in the Kronos, but then reference them using Setlist mode to put your sounds, songs, and patches in order that you'll be performing through the evening. No need to order alphabetically, you simply touch on the screen which sound you need.

Something I do and I'm sure many others do too: I assign a pedal to "Program Increment" so pressing on the foot pedal will go to the next sound so I don't need to take my hands off of the keyboard. It requires a little more planning though, since you would want to put your performances in order.

I haven't experimented much with backing tracks to be honest, so I'm not in a position to answer that question other than to say I know it can be done SOMEHOW, though in most cases I would expect a backing track to be something you'd stream from a CD or even set up as a sample I suppose. There's a few different ways you could figure that out, but you can definitely assign different sounds to different physical outs to separate your keyboard sounds from the backing track for external mixing.
AudioProCT

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I have a combi program, and within that have 8 sub selections or sub programs, lets say I take the first 3 instruments and create 1 set-up, then 4 and 5, to make the second, and so on, are there ways to access that or mute the others so the selection process can be quick. Also this will allow 1 combi to have 8 different sub combis

I'm trying to avoid my setlist saying

Queen medley 1
Queen medley 2
Queen medley 3

and so on
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say "Combi Program" you're saying two different things. It's like saying "Car truck"

Combi is a collection of programs, laid across the keyboard however you want.

You could have up to 16 programs at the same time attached to 1 combi. Each channel has it's own mixing, EQ, effects, levels and so on. You also have the ability to mute and unmute various channels while in Combi mode.

Personally, I would have a setlist that says something more like:

1. Piano + Strings
2. Piano + BigStrings
3. Solo Piano
and so on.

Combi's don't have sub-combi's. That's not how it works.

Think of it more like a recording studio, where you can assign up to 16 different programs or sounds to 16 separate tracks, and they're triggered by your keyboard. Each layer can have separate zones, volumes, etc.

That is what a combi is, but to answer your question generally:

Yes you can do what you're asking.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thrown off by the line "this is done with a Tyros 5". Where does the Kronos come in?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A YouTube search for Spike Edney Queen should come up with a "behind the scenes with the Korg Kronos" video in which he describes how the keyboard performances used by the band are split and layered. It should give plenty of ideas, including selling the Tyros 5 and getting a Kronos! ;-)

Last edited by voip on Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I was thrown off by the line "this is done with a Tyros 5". Where does the Kronos come in?

Guessing English as a second language, I suspect they mean that they're doing it right now on the Tyros 5 but want to know either if the Kronos can do it, or how. Maybe they don't have a Kronos yet, if they did a quick look at Combi mode would explain generally how Combi's are configured
LZ
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to also be doing backing tracks, you need to use Songs, not combis. A song can have up to 16 sounds in any combination of split, layer, and/or sequenced, as well as up to 16 audio tracks. You'll still use set list mode as described.

So for your medley you'll use one song but have multiple instances in the set list. Besides your sequenced or audio tracks, you'll set up all of the sounds you will play on other tracks. You determine whether they will be split or layered by assigning upper/lower key range of each sound. To start, all the sounds you'll play will be assigned to the global MIDI channel (most likely 1). For the next group of sounds you want to play, set up additional tracks all assigned to midi channel 2, and so on. In set list mode, put as many instances of the song as there are different groups of patches you want to play, and select the track that corresponds to the group you want to play. You can name the slots in the song list stuff like Queen Medley 1, Queen Medley 2, etc. Hit play and the track starts, when you hit different slots on the set list, the song will continue to play except you'll be able to play different tracks per the assignment of that slot.

Within the song, each track can be assigned to L/R or any of the individual outputs.
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, well if the OP is planning to use backing tracks AND multiple splits/setups per song that could become problematic since he would have to do it all within one sequence. That means 16 parts and 12IFX total, even when using audio tracks for the backings. Less if the backings are midi based. On the other hand, because the Kronos works as a class compliant audio interface, hooking up an iPad, PC or Mac via USB would be an easy way to manage backing tracks, leaving you free to use however many combis and programs you want for every song.
AudioProCT

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks LZ, I thought that would be the only solution
ErnstDabest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The obvious answer here, and I'm surprise no one mentioned this.. is to play w/ multiple KBs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: