Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Critique of "the Astonishing" concert

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Critique of "the Astonishing" concert Reply with quote

Okay, I'll be the first to admit that I am a HUGE fan of Jordan Rudess and Dream Theater. I pre-ordered the new cd as soon as it was available. I've played it from start to finish probably at least a dozen times. I've read up about the concept of the album. I've watched videos of how they did the visuals and interviews with the band telling what the story is about.

In short, I'm into it and I know it fairly well.

The concert, musically was "astonishing"! John Petrucci the guitar player was very very sick and still played like the monster he is. In fact everyone in the band was in top form as they always seem to be. The sound, albeit WAY TOO LOUD was well balanced and the mix was great. I really enjoyed those parts of the show BUT...

You had to know there was going to be a big but! Wink

With no speaking to the audience even occasionally between songs, my wife felt she could have just as easily sat at home and watched it on a dvd. With no audience interaction, the show lacked in some way.

My biggest niggle with the show was what I thought was the use of "backing tracks". Backing tracks in a Dream Theater show? OMG!!!! Please say it isn't so! Unfortunately I tend to think it is the case. Either that or Jordan has incredible samples going on. Not to say that he doesn't either but when I'm hearing 3 and 4 part vocal harmonies and some of the words last longer than what James Labrie is singing, well, you just have to wonder. Especially when you can see that he is the only one at a microphone. Also the huge choirs singing phrases along with massive orchestral movements and Jordan is only playing with one hand tend to lead me in this thought direction.

I'm of two minds about this. On one hand, it did sound like the album was being played live, but on the other hand I somewhat feel that a band like Dream Theater shouldn't have to resort to backing tracks. When there were parts that were instrumental and had no obvious tracks they did stretch it out a bit sometimes although rarely.

Visually it was better that good but what's up with the constant barrage of strobe lights? Multi coloured blindingly intense lights that never seem to stop. Bands really need to stop this crap. It hurts our eyes after a while. It makes it painful to watch and forgive me if I'm wrong, but do we go to concerts to watch and hear the band? Loose the blinding lights please everybody. A few times are fine but not in almost every song.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: