Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transposing the score when transposing a midi sequence

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobeld@aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:12 am    Post subject: Transposing the score when transposing a midi sequence Reply with quote

The manual says "The Score page shows the actual MIDI notes. Using the TRANSPOSE buttons or transposing the selected track does not affect the music score." (p 101 manual)
I would like to be able to transpose the score. If I have transposed a song in the key of A up to Bb, I would like the score to display in Bb so I can play along.
My Tyros will show the score in the transposed key which is great for playing along with the sequence when you transpose it.
Is this a feature that Korg could include in a future OS update?
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the 4x but you should be able to transpose the midi in Sequencer Mode (Menu, Song Edit, Transpose, All tracks, Save)
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Sequncer mode, select Transpose, you will see Track 1 highlighted, select the drop down menu choosing all tracks, select your transposition and then save the midi track ( maybe with a alternate name/ref ) you should now see the transposed score when you play back or load the song into player.
Yamaha S90ES, Korg Triton Pro, EXB Moss, Roland XV5080, Korg EX8000, Korg Pa4x 76, Korg Kronos 88, Crumar MOJO, Logic Pro X, V Collection, Novation SL61,Vienna, Korg Pa4x , EC-5, Vienna, Arturia V Collection, Roland SC88 Pro, Roland D110, Alesis SR16, Alesis D4
bobeld@aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Transforming the score when transposing a midi sequence Reply with quote

Thanks Mintjammin for the tip, but it would be too much work to transpose and save thousands of midi files. I think that this is something that should work on the fly as you load and play a midi in song play.

I use my Pa4x to perform either using the styles or songs and I sometimes have guests come up to sing who need to sing a particular song in a higher or lower key. Using your method I would have to have 12 midi files of the same song saved, (one in each of the 12 keys) in order to see the score correctly shown in the key I need to play in.
Also I would like to sometimes (not always) bring the song up a half step when performing it. What I need is realtime control over the way the score displays. I can move the sound up a half tone with the transpose + button, but I want the score to reflect that too. Realtime, as I play.
Thanks again for your suggestion - I appreciate your effort.
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. This feature is necessary for performing musicians. I have a lot of guest singers play solo gigs with me at times and I can play the same song in different keys for the different singers.

I know, I know, the purists out there will want me to condemn te vocalists to learn the song in key I'm playing, but as an accompanyist, I've always been taught to play whatever key or speed the vocalist needs. I've gotten pretty good at changing keys on the fly, but I've also gotten lazy in my old age! LOL

I had this feature on the Tyros 5 and it was great. I would think this would be fairly straightfoward to implement on the Pa4x. I also think this item would probably be LOW on Pablo's priority list at this point. I'd rather see them fix the bugs
Bernie9

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my pa4X and noted you can transpose player alone, but didn't see keyboard alone. Many times I would bring the midi down 2 to suit my voice and keyboard to whatever key I normally play the song in.

What I am saying is that if your score won't transpose, if you could transpose the keyboard alone to "C" or whatever, you would have much more latitude. My Audya does either or both. Maybe the pa4X does this, but I didn't see it.

Bernie
bobeld@aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Transforming the score when transposing a midi sequence Reply with quote

To member kbrkr,
I still have my 76 key Tyros 5 (I keep it in my studio since I found it too heavy too bulky and heavy to continue carrying around) and yes it transposes the midi score when you hit the transpose button. I don't see why Korg can make the Pa4x do the same.

Is there an appropiate place in the forum to request Korg to add this feature?

Thanks
Bob Eldridge
Jugoslovak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just love the transpose to work FULL STOP!! With you guys (midi DJ's) its actually very simple to import your midi seq's into a DAW, transpose to where you need it and save the file... or even transpose the midi file on the fly within the arranger itself... what I am finding difficult though is transposing the actual style files and saving them in the transposed key! It's an absolute nightmare.
Reason 8.3
Kontakt 5.5.1
bobeld@aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jugoslovak

It's not quite that easy. I have different customers singing the same song. I really don't want to make 12 copies in each of the 12 keys for different customers. I want to be able to transpose on the fly and have the score change too so I can play along.

Korg will allow you to transpose the performers keyboard too but even though I don't have perfect pitch, transposing a song from Eb to C and then having to play notes written in Eb to follow the score which is still in Eb but is playing in C sounds and feels wrong to me. I turn the transposition of the keyboard off and only allow the midi to transpose.
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Transforming the score when transposing a midi sequence Reply with quote

bobeld@aol.com wrote:
To member kbrkr,
Is there an appropiate place in the forum to request Korg to add this feature?
Thanks
Bob Eldridge

Agree.
There should be a "Wishlist" or something like "Needed Features" in Pa4X section in the forum.
And also in order to be less confusing and more clear for Pa4X users, there should be another section to list the "Known Bugs" officially by Korg company.
bobeld@aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And also in order to be less confusing and more clear for Pa4X users, there should be another section to list the "Known Bugs" officially by Korg company.

BR- There is such a bug list:
It's near the top of the Pa4x section (3rd item down) labeled "Sticky" so that it does not get lost from the other posts.

View newest post Sticky: PA4X - LOG GENUINE SUSPECTED PROBLEMS HERE PLEASE...
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobeld@aol.com wrote:

BR- There is such a bug list:
It's near the top of the Pa4x section (3rd item down) labeled "Sticky" so that it does not get lost from the other posts.

View newest post Sticky: PA4X - LOG GENUINE SUSPECTED PROBLEMS HERE PLEASE...

Thanks.
I know this sticky..,Very Happy I was referring to a list of Known Bugs (officially confirmed by Korg company) not suspected problems/issues by (us) users.
Sometimes people report some issues they encounter with Pa4X as a bug and at the end we find out that it is not.
Thanks anyway for your reply.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: