Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can you audit in Surround?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Promote Your Music Online
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you have a surround monitoring setup available?
Yes
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
No
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
Not yet, but plan to buy some
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
What? Get lost! Only Mono since 1932....
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 12

laughing_bear
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Can you audit in Surround? Reply with quote

I am interested to learn whether you have the ability to listen to multichannel encoded files.

If answer=yes, may be you can give a small description what setup you use.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Studio I have a small 4.1 System on my PC, but that’s used for Games and EAX Surround sound. The SX-1 does support true 5.1 but I haven’t actually purchased the Monitors for it because there’s no work available here to justify splashing out on the monitors in the first place.

We do however have a full DTS system in the house for watching DVD’s. LOL… One killer sub to go with it too Smile Just as well we have no neighbours.

Regards.
Sharp.
Morbius
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, LB!

No....not really. Like Sharp, I do have a setup for watching DVD's - but that's about it. Of course, you can play surround encoded CD's on most regular cd players as long as it's routed to a Dolby decoder, and I do have very few actual surround cd's. Mostly orchestral stuff.

Unfortunately, at work the DVD work I do is all pretty much corporate promo and product line, and none of the auditoriums or conference rooms are set up for surround, so it's just all run-of-the-mill stereo. I'm lucky if I get to do a little panning now and then when PA's not watching. Laughing I just use A-Pack for AC-3 encoding. Overkill.

I'd LOVE to do some surround work at home using DP4. It has so many really cool tools for surroundscapes. Especially the 'Auralizer', but I barely have time just to play the synths, let alone doing any fancy mixing.

Some day. Smile

Morbius

"Character is the backbone of our human culture. Music is the flowering of character."
laughing_bear
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing We found one mono freak.... I knew it! Laughing Wink

I am planing and designing a media room for these THX Ultra2 babies called "TEUFEL".

I heard them recently in Berlin, and well.... THATS IT! Laughing
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bear.

Very impressive. Any thoughts on what your going to power them with ?.
If your spending over 6K on speakers you obviously have your eyes set on some juicy amp somewhere too.

Regards.
Sharp.
laughing_bear
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6K? If you can get em for that price somewhere let me know.... the 7.1 shown above are round about 12K.

I go for this amp: Pioneer VSA-AX10i-S.
Digital Signal Processor Sharc 32-bit x 2, 48-bit (24-bit double precision)
D/A Converter 192 kHZ/24-Bit (one for each CH)
A/D Converter 96 kHz/24-Bit (multi-channel + 2-channel))

Quote:
On the right is the decoder board, the eight Burr-Brown PCM1704 192/24 DACs, and the required DF1706E digital filters. The op-amps downstream of these are NE5534s. The board also features two Analog Devices ADSP-21065L SHARC DSPs: one handles the DTS/Dolby Digital decoding, the other SHARC looks after the VSA-AX10's MCACC system. There's also a Motorola DSP56367 chip, being used uniquely, to ensure true 32-bit processing between the two SHARCs.

Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bear.

Quote:
6K? If you can get em for that price somewhere let me know.... the 7.1 shown above are round about 12K.

Sorry Mate… I was looking at the smaller 8.1 system.

LOL… Now I’m really jealous Smile
Man they are sweet Cool

As for that AMP…. Holy crap !!!! That’s just kick ass.

Regards.
Sharp.
laughing_bear
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, will be a nice setup in deed. It is pretty much a "once in a lifetime" investment. The room will have a total of round about 1800 SqFt, acoustic treatments, sockets for the speakers, video via Epson beamer and a motorized Stewart Firehawk 90" Screen with Velux finish.

Other people have fun in spending a lot of money on cars, I prefer to design my own acoustic nirwana. Laughing

I put a few nice plants in there as well, I have a 6 foot high pillar cactus since a year that is coming on nice, probably get a second one. Furnitures are another big thing to decide on.

Well.... all in good time....
laughing_bear
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized that the back panel picture is from the older version, the i-S Version looks like this, and the main difference is the i-Link connection for DVD-A and SCDA:

Another reason I decided for this bolid is the calibration system, this here says it all:

THX Ultra2 is a very important specification enhancement for those who wish to have the music performance of this system to be best as best can be. Before Ultra2 everything was specified towards cinema only, now it is music as well which is important to me of course. DTS24/96, DD5.1 and DTS 5.1 are the music modes supported. The more than average dynamic of this Amp is convincing when you hear classical music. The touchscreen macro programmable remote control is the icing on the cake.

Odinmoon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a panasonic suround system. Nice and cheap but works well.
Great for listening to brian eno. It seems to work with some cds. Maybe the old quadraphonic tracks. Bur dvds are great. Smile
laughing_bear
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The THX Technical lib.

http://www.thx.com/mod/techLib/index.html
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, simply have a surround system hooked into my dvd player, cd player, and computer, so I am able to listen to my Korg or computer in surround sound, but dolby pro logic ii is as far as I go, since most mp3's and wav's i listen to seem to be only stereo. i haven't gotten into the 5.1 or better with music yet, except one music dvd i bought of tubular bells which rocks to say the least.
album cover
laughing_bear
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

georgeinar wrote:
except one music dvd i bought of tubular bells which rocks to say the least.

Yep, I have that recording myself, it is one of the outstanding DTS 5.1 re-mix achievements, just in line with the re-mix of Guthrie who did Darkside of the Moon.

I think with features such as the ability to chosse form different mixes, stage mix, audience mix etc., a new era of audiophile setups has dawn, and I am very much into it. I heard the firebird suite by Strawinsky in a DTS multichannel version and frankly it is mindblowing.

I grew up with stereo, and only can imagine those who experienced the first stereo recordings, must have been a similiar experience.

This THX Ultra2 is a huge step towards bringing the concert hall into your home, it is unreal what depth and clarity a well tuned system can produce.

I estimate in 4-5 years down the road, CD's are a exctinct species, and 24/96 will be the new standard anyways. LOVE IT Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Promote Your Music Online All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: