Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gear or Writing?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Gear or Writing? Reply with quote

There's an interesting article in the back of the June 2016 issue of SoundonSound magazine. The writer is talking about how so many musicians, himself included are so obsessed with having more and more equipment that they never really get around to wring music. They tend to fool around with this gadget, that software effect but in the end haven't produced any music at all or nothing really worth listening to.

I've been guilty of this myself although I've really made an effort to not put the "things" in the way of my song writing. I've been fairly successful at it too.

I really did go through a phase where I was absolutely certain that I couldn't get my song done without this guitar or effect or reverb or whatever.

So any of you have this thing going on? I'm just wondering.

I think that sometimes all this "gear lust" can be a bad thing!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends. A good song idea *should* good on anything. But then certain songs have been completely inspired by the sound I was messing with at the time. Horses for courses....

I can see the case where too much gear is bad, and I am probably now guilty there, especially with all the soft synths. But they are are a way of getting vintage sounds of instruments I would otherwise never own. I don't have the space and don't fancy the maintenance overhead.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends. A good song idea *should* good on anything. But then certain songs have been completely inspired by the sound I was messing with at the time. Horses for courses....

I agree with you there. I just know several musicians who for some reason tend to spend far more time twiddlying about with their new toys and bemoaning the fact that they don't have "the newest and bestest yet!" thing as opposed to using what the do have already and writing. Of course, I"m also well aware that we can't all write.

As for soft synths, I'm with you on that too. I just can't afford all the ones I'd love to have nor do I have the space to put them all in. But in my computer, Lotsa room! Smile
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also often fall into the trip of messing endlessly with sounds and fx. I'm sure it'd be even worse if I had even more stuff. Fortunately I now have a writing partner who is the opposite, she produces lots of "song skeletons" but doesn't share my obsession with finding the right sounds. Best of both worlds! Very Happy
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The truth is, there are some astoundingly good sounds to be had from some of the latest gear, that open numerous possibilites for expression and I, for one, am grateful for those.

Then there's Seastick Steve, with three strings on an old guitar and his Mississippi Drum Machine!! Looking at footage of him on Jools Holland in 2006, from which his popularity soared in the UK, it looks like he broke one string during his performance and still managed to sound awesome.

Looking through lots of programs, patches, soundsources, combis, performances, or whatever, undoubtedly takes time which could arguably be better spent writing, but it also opens up new possibilities. There's a balance to be struck, I feel, which won't be in the same place for everyone. The key is to recognise when one's creativity is being stifled and act accordingly.

jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just find it somehow strange; and like I mentioned earlier in this thread; even I've found myself not so much inspired by all the millions of sounds at my disposal but too busy trying to find new ones or worrying about ones that I don't have. Very silly! Yes I know. I've managed to get that behind me now and concern myself with the writing. Of course I'll always be curious and interested in new sounds and gear, but I think maybe I've finally got my head around the idea that I don't need it anymore. Well, I don't need much more anymore! Wink

I know I haven't even gotten close to hearing all of the sounds in my Cubase soft synths yet. Or any on my iPad. And then there's my Kronos.

It never ends!

Maybe Keith Richards was right when he said you only need, "5 strings, 4 fingers and one asshole!"

I like that!
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes counter the choice problem by sitting down with one instrument and saying "today I am going to write a song using this board"

Soft synths are brilliant, as my missus would notice new keyboards being snuck into a room that is already too full! Wink But I have a big hard drive Very Happy

I think what we also need to remember is that some of the greatest songs ever made were done on what is now fairly limited instrumentation choices, compared to what we have at our disposal these days. So we shouldn't complain. Nor should we "wait for enabling technology"; we need to make music with what we have. Smile

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"We need to make music with what we have!"

I couldn't have said it better!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: