Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M50 or karma???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marems79

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: M50 or karma??? Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I'm a newbie here, and I'm just getting back into synths again after about 15 years. I am currently in the market for a new (to me) board, and I currently am looking at a karma or m50. I messed with a karma back in 02' and instantly fell in love with it. Never tried out an m50 but I have seen them in action on YouTube and like what I saw and heard. I'm wondering which one will be the better board for trance/techno music. I understand that the karma is a pretty sweet arpeggiator and in a league of its own. Which one?? Thank you!
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither. Very Happy

Look for a used Korg M3. It has the KARMA features... plus it's way more advanced than the original red Karma keyboard. It also offers better build quality than the M50 and red Karma. Sounds a lot better too.

I've had mine for 8+ years and still enjoy using it both in the studio and live.

csteen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to say the M50 is far better because it too can run Karma with a software purchase. It has the upgraded sound engine and ram from the Karma also. The M3 is better still but will set you back over a thousand dollars also.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

csteen wrote:
The M3 is better still but will set you back over a thousand dollars also.

You get what you pay for... Very Happy

Also, shop around. There are often lots of M3 bargains on eBay and Craigslist.
csteen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a bargain would you say?1300? 1400? How much more for a used kronos?? If money is not an issue, than a used Kronos would be a far better choice. However if you are trying to stay under say 700 bucks the M50 Karmafied would be the ticket.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it depends on the budget. You can usually find the Korg M3 61-key on eBay and Craigslist for $800 and up. I definitely prefer having Karma built into the keyboard. I had Karma software for my Triton, but it was a lot of extra work.

Of course if money is no object, go for the Kronos.
marems79

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the replies everyone! I am starting so see lower priced m3's on eBay in the $800 range, still kinda higher than my budget allows at this point. Is the arpeggiator in the m50 pretty sweet? And I see that to karmafy the m50 it will run me $200.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Karma software for the M50 runs on a PC/Mac, rather than on the M50 itself.

csteen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
The Karma software for the M50 runs on a PC/Mac, rather than on the M50 itself.

Correct, and it also has 8 scenes available vs karmas 2 which is a very nice addition . Plus the M50 uses the very same sound engine that is in the M3.
Ovidius

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are considering Karma, you could have look at other software arpeggiators (although I am not sure how advanced they are - it is thing I would to look at in near future).

I haven't used Karma with my M50 as it did not had a demo (and the screenshots on poster that came with M50 seemed too old school), but you can look at other software arpeggiator alternatives like Squaredheads Nora (you can get also stripped down version of it called Nora CM for free with an issue of Computer Music magazine) or WaveDBA Liquid Music.

If they are capable of sending various arpeggios on different MIDI channels, this is what you could use with Korg workstations in Combi Mode to add some notes.
However, if you are looking for in-the-box solution with no hassle, get a keyboard with Karma built in. Smile

Also, look for demos due to different audio quality. Personally, I would prefer sound of M3 over M50 (probably due to DAC design - listen to comparisons on http://alfredoblogspage.blogspot.cz/2012/04/korg-pa500-dynamic-range-improvement_04.html where DAC is fixed for Korg Pa500 or http://alfredoblogspage.blogspot.cz/2012/11/my-korg-r3-that-exceeds-in-sound-quality.html for same fix on R3).
IMHO keybopards you should listen to are Korg Trinity (very lively sounding, also quite cheap these days), Korg Triton Extreme (not other editions) and M3.

Also, M3 allows you to use custom samples, M50 does not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: