Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Havian 30 Grand Piano RX damper "noise"...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RayDF

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Havian 30 Grand Piano RX damper "noise"...? Reply with quote

I'm an absolute beginner in using my Havian 30, so please excuse me for making what most probably are very basic questions and perhaps not using the appropriate Korg terminology. I've noticed that the Grand Piano RX samples (but NOT the other piano samples) make a thumping sound when the damper pedal is pressed and another one when it is released, cancelling the former. This isn't noticeable when using a low volume but it is noticeable when using a high volume (past the 50% mark or so.) The damper pedal sound is not noticeable when the actual piano voice is played, since I suppose that the main piano voice drowns out that damper pedal sound. The damper pedal sound is noticeable when pressing the pedal WITHOUT playing any notes.

The sound could be considered analogous to the actual noise made by a real piano when pressing the damper pedal (if the pedal action is somewhat noisy.) My specific questions are then as follows:
    1. Is this damper pedal sound actually part of the RX Grand Piano samples?
    2. If not could my particular Havian 30 has some odd electronic problem that is causing this sound in these particular RX Grand Piano voices?
    3. Finally, if this a normal part of the RX Grand Piano samples, is there some way to remove the damper pedal sound from the sample?

Thanks! Smile

Korg Havian 30
    alina

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not own a Havian 30, but yes, this is part of the piano sound on the Havian and the other Korg arrangers.

To remove the damper sound, this can be done. I don't know exactly how, but I hope someone who knows more about sound editing could help you with this.

Hope this helps a little.
    Nemik
    Approved Merchant
    Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to Sound Select, select your sound (Grand Piano RX) , then
    from page menu select Edit Sound
    in Edit Sound go to menu and select Basic, then
    go to Damper Mode and from Page menu select Solo Oscillator.
    you have there 15 OSC , going thru each one find which OSC has issue with Damper.
    If you find one, just change Damper Mode to Damper Off.
    Is possible you need to do in at least 2 of OSC (stereo samples).
    when you finish disable Solo Oscillator and try it, use from Page menu option Compare, that's give you difference between modify and original sound ( same on editing single OSC).
    If you done, save edited sound using from page menu Write Sound option as new sound to new User location ( keep original, just in case).

Good Luck Wink

P.S. If this won't help, if also possible somewhere in Amp, filter or LFO Damper is use as AMS trigger, but not likely.
    Fl Studio 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite.
    Performers Heaven
    RayDF

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alina/Nemik: Wonderful information -- thanks! Smile
    Korg Havian 30
    alina

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks from me too, Nemik. I was thinking about Damper Mode, but was not sure. I don't need this, but at least I know now how to do it.

Thanks again. Smile
    Reuben
    Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way would be to reduce the Amp level for the two (probably 4 now that I think about it - 2 x on and 2 x off) oscillators involved.
    Making realistic sounds is a curious thing - we expect to hear clicks, pops, scrapes and other noises from a real instrument but often when we add these sounds to an electronic instrument we think its fake - go figure....
    Cheers,
    John
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General) All times are GMT
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: