Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Midi and volume pedal with Mainstage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
richthepipe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Midi and volume pedal with Mainstage Reply with quote

I am using my SV-1 with balanced outputs into a PA system and use the Korg EXP2 as a volume pedal.

I am connecting the MIDI OUT to my macbook pro and MainStage which then outputs out of the mini jack to the PA system. I also have the Korg nanoKontrol 2 connected to the macbook.

What I would like to do is when the SV-1 EXP2 pedal is off (No sound out to PA) and the fader on the nanoKontrol I have assigned to volume in MainStage is up (full volume) that when I play the keys on the SV-1 that I can play through MainStage out to PA.

I don't want to play both at the same time but want to alternate them depending on if I want a SV-1 sound or if I want a synth sound in MainStage.

The Problem I have is when the EXP2 is down on the SV-1, it also reduces the volume of the midi signals sent to the mac when I press the keys down. The mac receives the key press midi signals, but despite the volume being up in MainStage, the sound is still very quiet.

Does anyone know how I can have the key press midi signals being sent to my macbook while ignoring the EXP2 volume.

Hope that all makes sense?
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Maybe I'm wrong; but the expression pedal probably does not reduce the volume of the midi key events because that is in fact not possible. Most likely, when touching the expression pedal, the SV1 sends out CC#7 (volume) and/or CC#11 (expression) and these messages reduce the volume of MainStage and overrule nanoKontrol2.

You may try to first reduce the volume using the pedal and after that turning up the volume using nanoKontrol (turn down and then all the way up again), so that nanoKontrol2 overrules again the pedal (as long as you don't touch the pedal Sad ). Maybe that works. (In fact MainStage receives volume message from both the SV1 and nanoKontrol.)

Are you sure that you can control anyway the volume of mainStage using nanoKontrol?

Other things to explore:
* use a MIDI filter on your mac (it for sure exists, but I don't have a Mac...) and filter out the (remove) the volume messages from the SV1, only let key events go through.
* if the expression pedal is up and nanoKontrol volume is up, do both SV1 and MainStage sound together when playing keys? If so, considering to just turn down the volume of SV1 (the knob) and you can then use the pedal to control MainStage as well.

Have fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: