Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iKaossilator - Custom Sounds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drambuee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: iKaossilator - Custom Sounds Reply with quote

For a while i've been meaning to try editing the sound file in iKaossilator to see if i can replace or edit the Drum / Synth sounds. Finally got round having a go at it yesterday. It seems the samples are compiled into a single file called smpldata.bin.mod

After googling the file name i found the thread below (From the korg DS-10 forum) Where they had managed to open the same file from a korg DS-10 and change the samples / sounds in the built in Rom.

I've tried opening this file with resource explorer and audacity but neither can show the contents so it looks like the file format has changed from what was on the DS-10.

I ran a File identification utility which ID's the filetype as "microsoft multiplan". Apparently this was thier spreadsheet package before Excel and ended up on MAC OS in the 80's !

Needless to say excel can't open the file and i'm not convinced the filetype was correctly identified.

I've been doing this on a Windows 7 machine so that could be part of the problem as i'd image the app was coded and comipled on a MAC.

Does anyone else fancy trying to determine the file type or finding a way the sounds can be edited ?

Here's the link to the discussion on the DS-10 Forum

http://ds10forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=851&start=20[/url]
i

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: No answer, but here's a bigger problem. Do you have a soluti Reply with quote

No answer, but here's a bigger problem. Do you have a solution to the BACK UP problem? Read the following. Please let me know if you can find a hack to access iKaossilator's saved user-inputted custom loops data.

It is IRONIC that Korg forum's iKaossilator owners are busily programming data to the app when ALL DATA can be lost in an instant. READ MY POST. Comment. Make sure Korg gets this message. THERE IS NO WAY TO BACK UP USER DATA.
I mailed a bilingual Jap/Eng snail mail letter to Korg Japan. This problem needs to be fixed. So why aren't you forum members aware that YOU CAN ONLY BACK UP AUDIO, NOT PROGRAM DATA??
There is a type of program data back up if you post your loop data onto soundclound via the iKaossilator. You can then import SHARED world-wide user loops. But you won't get your own data, because you cannot choose which shared loops to import. Thus Korg is so close to having a BACK UP capability, without even being aware that this functions exits. IF ONLY WE COULD CHOOSE WHICH SHARED LOOPS TO IMPORT THEN WE COULD CHOOSE OUR OWN PERSONAL LOOPS FROM OUR OWN SOUNDCLOUD PAGE. THEN WE COULD USE OUR SOUNDCLOUD ACCOUNT AS OUR BACK UP for iKaossilator.
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=76375
Db909

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Ikaossilator custom sounds Reply with quote

So a while back there was a topic of altering the internal sounds of the ikaossilator and one user found out the samples were contained in a sample.bin.mod file. After some research I believe the .mod extension refers to the mod files used to share music amongst music trackers like Sunvox for example or the many free fracker softwares available. This makes sense given the format allows for instructions regarding fx amounts to be contained within. Also of note, Korgs website mentions that it uses a pcm sound engine, which is basically wav files as are the samples in a mod file. So this leads me to believe that it's a bin file, which assuming we could get into that, contains the mod file with all the sounds that could be altered in a music tracker program that supports the format. Now i know next to nothing about using trackers. Wondering if there's anyone here who'd be interested in testing my hypothesis. I certainly love ikaossilator and to have custom sounds within it would be an extremely enjoyable and fluid music making experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: