Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Five year club.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Five year club. Reply with quote

Anyone else been loving the Kronos for 5+ years? I got mine on June 6th, 2011. Haven't wanted for much since (other than maybe an 88!), but I've been very pleased by the updates.

Thanks Korg! This is still the best "total package" keyboard ever produced.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started a similar 5 yr club post 2 or 3 months ago.

I recall we had about 100 posts to that topic and added their stories.

Lets do that again !
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, just a two year newbie myself, but I tend to keep good work horses. I have had my Yamaha EX5 since 1999, Nord G2 Engine and FS1r since 2005, An1x since 2006 and Yamaha SY series (in various guises) since 2007; and the Kronos feels like a similar keeper! Very Happy

Ask me again in 3 years. Smile

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
I started a similar 5 yr club post 2 or 3 months ago.

I recall we had about 100 posts to that topic and added their stories.

Lets do that again !

Nice, I figured someone would have. I checked the first couple pages here but didn't see one. I know we did a serial number thread or two. Who had the earliest unit?
fclef

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My K73 (serial #160) has been rock-solid for more than five years. It's truly a remarkable musical instrument with capabilities that I'm still experimenting with.
Ended up adding a K61 several years ago for light gigging. The lighter weight is much appreciated on load-ins.
When playing in a pit orchestra, the Set List has proven its worth time and time again.
It will be interesting to see what Korg comes up with next (although I'm in no hurry for a replacement).
In the past: Korg DS8, M1, T3, Trinity, O1W, Wavestation, Triton Extreme, Triton Studio 76
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be a member of the five year club come November. I believe mine was part of the first shipment to arrive in Australia, which was delayed a couple of times from memory.

My Kronos still forms the heart of my studio and I'm constantly discovering new tricks and techniques. I have barely touched the surface of some of the synth engines, particularly MOD-7 and STR-1, but I'm starting to delve into them now.

Although I originally purchased the Kronos with the intention of using it with a PC-based setup, I have found myself gradually moving towards a purely hardware-based arrangement using the Kronos as my DAW. Whilst the sequencer and audio recorder built into it don't compare to the capabilities of a computer, I actually find this to be of benefit - I spend less time trying to fix a bad take, and more time getting it right in the first place.

I also find the effects in the Kronos much more inspiring and musical than the effects in a DAW, which for composition is important. Seems to me that the effects bundled with a DAW are more aimed at mixing and mastering than at composition. I particularly appreciate how the effects in the Kronos can be modulated in real-time, adding an extra dimension of expressiveness.

Overall, I am just as inspired by my Kronos today as I was nearly five years ago when I first opened the box. It has been rock solid for me too, and Korg have done an exceptional job of continuing to add new features and expansions to it. If my Kronos died tomorrow, I would replace it immediately.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also got my first Kronos 61 on June 6, 2011. I added a second 61 in 2012 as a backup. I upgraded both to 3GB of RAM and both are still going strong. I briefly had an X73 too, but flipped it.
Burydudexxx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had mine now since 2011 - no hiccups or problems until this week ! WTF ! started to not load (when turning on - gets stuck) this has happened 3 times this week + has started to freeze for no apparent reason - hoping this is a passing phase .....
jazlover
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 years... and all is well. ... no problems to date. I love this keyboard for gigging!
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes fully payed up member of the 5 year club. Nice post.
Only issue was the keybed, which Hamiltons in Preston and Korg, replaced within a week.

It's been a dream machine.

Had a wobble and thought I needed a change, but what I needed was something to complement my K73. So I've added a Waldorf Blofeld to my set up and a Eventide Space is on the way.
The Blofekd has been a great learning tool for creating sounds and tweaking the Kronos too.

The Kronos is still, simply awesome. Very Happy
Chrutil

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow it's been five years already?
I have about two weeks to go until my five year anniversary. Not sure what day I actually picked it up, but I can find an email from my dealer on 7/25/11 saying it's there and a 'thanks for registering your Kronos' from Korg on 8/3/11 so sometime during that week it happened.
The last few years I have been obsessing more about building out my modular, but I do play on my Kronos every week.
I mainly use it to learn to play the piano though, but it sounds so great!!
It's upgraded to 3GS and two SSDs and as far as I recall it has only freaked out once (loud high-pitched buzz following by a system crash) a reboot solved it, so I think I can say it's been absolutely reliable for me.
Korg Kronos 88 #444 /3GB, MU modular synth, PPG Wave 2.3, Modal Electronics 002, TTSH, Oberheim Two Voice Pro, Deckard's Dream, Kijimi, MatrixBrute, Access Virus KC, Ensoniq EPS, Korg Microsampler, Behringer Model D, Behringer Pro~1, Roland JP-08, Roland VP-03, Roland JD-08, Roland TR-8, Akai MPC-X, Roland TD-12 V-Drums, Fender Precision Bass, Martin Custom D Guitar, Sterling JP-60 Guitar, PRS Santana SE Guitar (signed), Logic Pro X, Pulsar P900 Series, Arturia V Collection 6 as well as various iPad & soft synths.
Download the Korg Kronos AL-1/Polysix Graphical Editor
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of September 10,I'll be a full fledged 5 year member! I'm still absolutely floored by my K73. AS far as I know, I bought the fifth one in Canada. I still haven't really got a clue on Mod-7 or the String Modelling engine. I really figure that in another 5 years, I'll understand about 25% of her.

It's hard to imagine how it could be made better. Unless Korg out right buys companies like Omnishere for example and enables soft synths to operate right in the new machine. After all, the engines in the Kronos are as far as I know, soft synths.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
rickster1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember GregC's similar thread a coupla months ago. My 5 yr club induction will come next February. I love my K73, a couple of screen freezes on gigs & I did have the keybed problem but it was fixed in under a week by my closest service center in Ga. Have played a lotta gigs with it; will buy another one soon. It's kept me off the streets for the first two yrs of my retirement.
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha. I'm bad at math. I was thinking it was 4 years. I pre-ordered mine 5 years from a week from now. Got it on 9/1/11

It's been absolutely awesome and rock solid.... until last night. It was all set up to go at the gig and literally 2 minutes before we started the first set, I went to hit a key and it was playing one of the SFX kits (when it should have been a piano). I checked and my combi had messed itself up. Thinking I had inadvertently done something wrong, I rebooted the Kronos. Came up with a blank white screen... dead. I was mortified. After messing with it for about 5-6 minutes, I gave up and played the set on nothing but my Prophet 12. Fortunately I had programmed some semi-bread#&butter type sounds on it for just such a case. Don't Stop Believing sounded more like Whitney Houston though with that Honkey FM sounding tinkertoy piano, though Razz
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
JPROBERTLA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will become a 5 year member on 11/28/16, although I have replaced my original K61 with a K288, being almost 65 tears old and still doing 45-50 gigs a year, I am hoping they come out with a "Super Kronos" that adds more processing power and polyphony, otherwise I would have 250 sequences to transition and that would take about 9-12 months. Not sure I would do that unless it possessed some additional significant improvements.
Kronos2-88, Behringer XR18, Turbosound IP2000 (x2), dbx DriveRack 260, KRK Rokit 8s, Mackie CFX16, Mackie SRM450(x2), Mackie SRS1500 (x2), BBE processors (x4), Roland VSR 880 (x2), Alto TS210, Alto TX10 (x3) and SoundForge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: