Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Krome killed the SV1
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClaytonE

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingace wrote:
ClaytonE wrote:
To me my SV-1 is the perfect instrument and is not on it's deathbed.
The Korg Krome might have more and various features, but IMHO lacks the soul of an instrument...the look...the feel...the vibe... As technology increases there is always the "grass is greener on the other side of the fence" aspect of any musical instrument... So... I'll keep my SV-1 until I am on my deathbed, not my SV-1s... Rolling Eyes

Tell it Clayton! ha ha I agree and it's what made me, after looking at all the over the top confusing menu driven million button workstation/synth/stage keys out there, buy my SV1!

Now if we could just get Korg to quit treating us like the red-headed step-children!!

Yes Flying Ace...We might feel ignored in the Korg universe, but does it really matter? Music is a reflection of the inner soul...not a corporation striving to make another dollar...
The SV-1 is awesome...not perfect...but awesome at what it was created for...and we are blessed with owning it...
In the 70s I had a Rhodes 88 as well as a pre-midi Roland Juno synthesizer , but as time marches on, I don't really miss them... The SV-1 on the other hand is with me until I kick the bucket!!!
So...Who cares if Korg makes a SV-2 or a SV-10... Maybe I'll try them, but I'm pretty happy now!!! Very Happy
whirlyberg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All things considered,

I have used several different sets of keys lately and I am always finding myself the most "at home" with the SV-1.

I recently picked up a Juno Di, and, while I like it's collection of sounds, editor features and split capability etc., These are features I never find 'lacking' in the Sv1. I trust the SV1 and am familiar with it's amp sims, it's pedal effects (when needed) and have even grown fond of the "quirks" that were sampled in some of the different instrument sets.

The Kroma is in some aspects, rather appealing. Obviously verdict is still out there on the sound... But I'd be hard-pressed to even pass a judgement on which has the "better" ep. Fact is, they are different, as evidenced by the Kronos set that I have used in the past. The Kroma, if anything, is the Robin to SV-1s batman, that superfine utility belt full of bells and whistles waiting to pick up the slack that the gorgeous SV-1 leaves behind in certain areas. I would most definitely consider bringing both to a gig, but you would have to pry the SV-1 from my cold dead hands before I showed up with just a Kronos...Or Juno-DI for that matter.

I just checked,

Yes - it's still there.
markcohn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShaunKorg wrote:
I want to expand on what I said a little because I don’t want to sound like a prick or an SV1 hater.

I’ve had experience working for several manufacturers. At the end of the day customer input matters very little. What matters is input from retailers on what they think they can actually sell. Based on the specs and the past sales of the SV1 I doubt very much that retailers are demanding an SV2.

I want an SV2. But be honest, if you owned a music store and your paycheck depended on trying to sell the Krome or some kind of SV2, what would you tell Korg to do?

Wow...that's the sense I've been getting, but actually bluntly reading that mindset really seals it. Though it saddens me, I thank you for your insight, and in no way is my semi-rant directed at you. I've been pretty disappointed with the state of just about ALL the keyboard / synth manufacturers for a LOOONNNNGGG time. I was just at a national publicly owned retailer today, and I walk in the Keys dept. and just shake my head at most of it. I can't understand what they think we want, and now it's clear...they don't care! I mean, why take any input from the people who research it and spend their hard-earned cash to use their product 5 nights a week? Instead it's more important what the retailers say? Their's IMHO is a very skewed perspective. Let's face it, 9 times out of 10 the keyboards are not presented as well as they could be, plugged into amps that don't represent the sound quality, and most of the time you ask the sales guy to show you what's cool about it, and the stock response of "well, just drop the $3500 and if you don't like it, you have 30 days to return it." So some people go in and buy based on marketing fluff and hype, and some really cool gems get passed by because the manager sees the numbers at the end of the month, and doesn't always really find out why something may not be performing well. When I got my Karma way back when, the guys at the store were actually trying to tell me it was lame, and it just had a couple of arpeggiators so why would I want it? Then they tried to steer me into the "flavor of the week" workstation...People used to get excited and get behind new ideas and something different. Now it's seems almost frowned on...when did that happen?

So when is something new coming? It seems the workstation ROMpler of today is basically the same animal it was when I had my T3 and O1/W, but with 5000 more patches of sounds I wouldn't use, higher res wave data, and better reverb. Sorry, that's just where I'm at now. I don't care about a slightly better Alto Sax or Nylon String patch that still doesn't sound real.

Then along came the SV-1, a different approach and outside the box of the typical fare. Finally, I had something to get excited about again. I had a Nord Stage EX, and I had the opportunity to test the SV-1 to decide if I was going to keep it or give it back and keep the Nord. Honestly, while the Nord had way more features, and was twice the price, I really got inspired and had more fun with the SV-1, so I sold the Nord and kept the Sv-1. I've been lucky, and haven't had the problems I see so many on this forum have had. I've been very happy with it, but of course things can always improve, and should. Hearing about all the "future updates" in the videos kept me hopeful that things would improve. But I'm really disappointed that nothing's really been updated since basically 2010. The 2 soundsets are great and much appreciated, but why stop? It's been stated in other threads that when Korg made these sound sets, they had a whole set of tools that let them get deep into the editing and that the voice architecture is very advanced and way deeper than we all know...the split feature was "hidden" until Soundset 2, so what else is in there? OK, so Korg doesn't want time and resources spent making soundsets and want to move forward....cool, then spend a little time and release a V2 editor, and give us the tools to do it. Vaporware, and unfinished issues really bug me...if you say you're going to do something, then do it!

Sorry for the long post, but I've had MANY Korg products since the M1 on, and more Korgs than anyone else's gear over the years, and this is the first time I feel a bit left in the lurch. No matter what color it is, it's still actively being produced and sold, and IMO as long as a product is still in its lifecycle, it should be supported and updated. I'm just looking for a few things to feed my endless tone-chasing...others need a lot more it seems, and this thread has been pretty silent from Korg's end for a long time...not right.
javaj

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What else is in there? Well, a drumkit is hidden in there. I found it in a textedit view of the operating system file (posted here previously). Now, is it just a reference and there are no samples- dunno.

I do want to put in a huge prop for the SV-1. I just love that I can sit down- flick a switch- and within seconds- start playing.

Try that on a workstation like Kronos or Krome- inspiration GONE!!!
MamboKeys

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that I stumbled across this thread. I'm getting ready to make a purchase, and I'm weighing the decision between the SV-1 and the Krome 88.

My current setup is a Korg M3-61 and a Hammond Xk-1c. I'm leaning toward the SV-1-73. I feel like buying the Krome would be redundant because of my M3, and I also like the idea of being able to sum external audio to the SV-1's outputs. On the other hand, I've read some pretty serious complaints about the SV-1 keybed, so I'm a little nervous about dropping $1700 on it for that reason.

Wondering if anyone can shed some light on the keybed issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: