Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UPDATED: Testing Times For Casio MZ-X500

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Happy Jack

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: UPDATED: Testing Times For Casio MZ-X500 Reply with quote

EDIT 12/08/2016:: Casio MZ-X upgrade Version 1.31 and MZ-X Sample Manager V 1.0.0 now available.

The much-awaited OS update 1.30 for MZ-X500 arrangers got pulled on the second day of release:

This from the Casio MZ-X Facebook site:

user quote: "...My pattern seq is now non functional post update and results in a complete lock up of the entire keyboard anytime I attempt to element copy."

Mike Martin for Casio quote: "I will contact Tokyo and make sure that the previous firmware is reposted and alert them to this issue."

04/08/2016 update Version 1.30 released.
05/08/2016 update Version 1.30 pulled.
08/08/2016 update Version 1.21 re-posted.
12/08/2016 update Version 1.31 posted.

...sans apology, explanation or helpful notes to all bemused owners.

Version 1.31 download link:
http://support.casio.com/en/support/download.php?cid=008&pid=20

source:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Casio.MZ.X/
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the way they handled this issue in such a timely fashion convinced me to buy a MZ-X500 Wink

By the way, I know you're using Euro date formatting in your post, but it will be confusing to a lot of folks on this side of the pond. It looks like 1.30 was released in April and Pulled in May. Then Ver 1.21 was reposted in August and somehow 1.31 will be posted in December, all on the 8th of the month!

Personally I use YYYY/MM/DD formatting for my files. They automatically sort by date that way. Wink

re: the "...sans apology, explanation or helpful notes to all bemused owners. " I think it's a cultural thing. I had similar issues when working with my engineering counterparts in Tokyo some years ago.

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
Happy Jack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...Personally I use YYYY/MM/DD formatting for my files. They automatically sort by date that way. Wink..."

Glad 2 oblige ya, Thoraldus:

04/08/2016 update Version 1.30 released. = 2016/08/04
05/08/2016 update Version 1.30 pulled. = 2016/08/05
08/08/2016 update Version 1.21 re-posted. = 2016/08/08
12/08/2016 update Version 1.31 posted. = 2016/08/12
-------------

MEDIC : Don't panic, you've been in a crash, nothing broken...what is today's date!

PATIENT: In what format? Formal or informal, English or American English or ...

MEDIC: Forget it. Who's the President of the United States?

PATIENT: Are you telling me I'm NOT the President?
-------------
'Writing the Date':
https://www.englishclub.com/vocabulary/time-date.htm
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Jack wrote:

"...Personally I use YYYY/MM/DD formatting for my files. They automatically sort by date that way. Wink..."

Glad 2 oblige ya, Thoraldus:

04/08/2016 update Version 1.30 released. = 2016/08/04
05/08/2016 update Version 1.30 pulled. = 2016/08/05
08/08/2016 update Version 1.21 re-posted. = 2016/08/08
12/08/2016 update Version 1.31 posted. = 2016/08/12
-------------

MEDIC : Don't panic, you've been in a crash, nothing broken...what is today's date!

PATIENT: In what format? Formal or informal, English or American English or ...

MEDIC: Forget it. Who's the President of the United States?

PATIENT: Are you telling me I'm NOT the President?
-------------
'Writing the Date':
https://www.englishclub.com/vocabulary/time-date.htm

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

Wink

Johann Sebastian Bach

Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say - I watched the video pointed to in the other related post and am very impressed by this instrument, in particular its sound. Casio's releases in this regard have been quite impressive of late.

Can I ask you - are there differences between this and the typical Yamaha PSR-700 / 900 type arranger keyboards? Does this one go deeper in terms of synth / workstation features, sequencer and so on?
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoraldus wrote:
Yep, the way they handled this issue in such a timely fashion convinced me to buy a MZ-X500 Wink

By the way, I know you're using Euro date formatting in your post, but it will be confusing to a lot of folks on this side of the pond. It looks like 1.30 was released in April and Pulled in May. Then Ver 1.21 was reposted in August and somehow 1.31 will be posted in December, all on the 8th of the month!

Personally I use YYYY/MM/DD formatting for my files. They automatically sort by date that way. Wink

re: the "...sans apology, explanation or helpful notes to all bemused owners. " I think it's a cultural thing. I had similar issues when working with my engineering counterparts in Tokyo some years ago.

I am sorry Thor, but your American dates( and many other vallues) are confusing to the rest of the world that uses the european date notation and metric vallues...

Maybe we need to change things and addapt to ansingle notation and measures, just let the UNnde ide which one...

But using American dates allwasy tricks me.. Maybe with this website being hosted from Europe, having european measures and dates is not such a strange thing...

Anyway, we need worldwide standards.... Which probably means the US and the UK needs to addapt
fcoulter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Thoraldus wrote:

I am sorry Thor, but your American dates( and many other vallues) are confusing to the rest of the world that uses the european date notation and metric vallues...

Maybe we need to change things and addapt to ansingle notation and measures, just let the UNnde ide which one...

But using American dates allwasy tricks me.. Maybe with this website being hosted from Europe, having european measures and dates is not such a strange thing...

Anyway, we need worldwide standards.... Which probably means the US and the UK needs to addapt

I use yyyy-mm-dd. As with the above comment, it sorts nicely, but I don't like slashes.

To each his own. (Unless they're wrong.)

Korg: Kronos2 88
Other: Tyros 5 76, DGX-650, YPT-320, Fretted Clavichord, Upright Piano, DX-7, SY-99, eMu MPS (last three in attic)

RCM Certificates: Advanced Rudiments
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Have to say - I watched the video pointed to in the other related post and am very impressed by this instrument, in particular its sound. Casio's releases in this regard have been quite impressive of late.

Can I ask you - are there differences between this and the typical Yamaha PSR-700 / 900 type arranger keyboards? Does this one go deeper in terms of synth / workstation features, sequencer and so on?

Sorry Kevin, your question got lost in the date debate Wink

I had a couple Yamy PSR's in the past. I find the MX-Z500 to be a different sort of beast. There seems to be a LOT more degrees of freedom in customization. Which I like a lot. The one thing I do not like is that all the factory Tones & Rhythms do not appear to be re-writable like they are on Korg arrangers. On the other hand, importing a Yamy style was a breeze on my first attempt. Wink

I know this is not much of an answer, but I'm still exploring this puppy!

Edit: Left out the NOT

Johann Sebastian Bach

Last edited by Thoraldus on Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Happy Jack

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:

Hi Kevin,

This comprehensive review of the Casio MZ-X's might be of interest to you:

https://azpianonews.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/Casio-MZX500-Keyboard-REVIEW--piano-pro-portable-low-price.html?m=1

regards, Jack
foxy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The date question is an interesting issue and I must confess i get thrown by US practice. Here in Europe we go from "small to large", e.g. Day / Month / Year, same with addresses, as in Number / Road / Town/ Country.
I would suggest that logic dictates the "large to small" should be preferred but fear current practice is far too entrenched and before any US contributors feel vindicated on the date issue you'll have to change your addresses to Country / State / Town / Street / Number. Try it. Feels awkward doesn't it?
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Thoraldus and Happy Jack for your thoughts and pointers. Overall a very interesting keyboard (my first ever keyboard was the Casio 1000P - which I still have as it has an amazing sequencer with features still unique today). The Mz-X500 is definitely worth checking out (love Casio's Hex layering).
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Thanks Thoraldus and Happy Jack for your thoughts and pointers. Overall a very interesting keyboard (my first ever keyboard was the Casio 1000P - which I still have as it has an amazing sequencer with features still unique today). The Mz-X500 is definitely worth checking out (love Casio's Hex layering).

Definately a good thing those Hex layer sounds...

untill you think about it, with Korg and Yamaha layering several sounds is allready build into the soundengine itselves... You can have 2 times 8 layers of samples in the HD1 engine.. where most standard MZ-X500 sounds are single layers..
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foxy wrote:
The date question is an interesting issue and I must confess i get thrown by US practice. Here in Europe we go from "small to large", e.g. Day / Month / Year, same with addresses, as in Number / Road / Town/ Country.
I would suggest that logic dictates the "large to small" should be preferred but fear current practice is far too entrenched and before any US contributors feel vindicated on the date issue you'll have to change your addresses to Country / State / Town / Street / Number. Try it. Feels awkward doesn't it?

Here's an exercise. Clasp your hands, alternating your fingers. Note whether your right or left thumb is on top. Now re-clasp your hands switching which thumb is on top. Feels awkward, doesn't it. Yet neither way of clasping your hands is right or wrong, it's just what you are used to. Wink

Johann Sebastian Bach

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: