Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Going from a Korg M3 to...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rotur

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:36 am    Post subject: Going from a Korg M3 to...? Reply with quote

Greetings,

First up I am not a performer...all my keyboard work is for home studio use as a composer. I have happily used my M3 for these duties but find my current approach to composing a little tiresome where I would layer various sounds/midi data via Logic Pro.

I want a new approach where composition is generated from a group dynamic rather than my current process but not sure whether the arranger method will suit me as someone used to workstation methods of creating and playing.

My keyboard skills are not exceptional but I get by with multilayering/tracking. I may one day venture down the path of live performance but not for now.

With this in mind, am I better to stick to the workstation style of creativity or venture into the world of arranger keyboards...specifically, the pa4X...no point in opting for anything less...funds are not an issue

Perhaps someone who has made a similar transition might offer some insights...any ideas gratefully appreciated
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will offer my insight. Having gone from workstation song crafting to arranger song crafting; there are certain advantages as well as disadvantages. You can get song ideas down quickly with an arranger, but you are initially limited to the palette of the style used. Once your structure is down, you can easily change sounds and chords if you created in midi format. Melody lines can also be adjusted but more in the method you are familiar with in the M3. one of the biggest downsides for me is the styles can be a little constricting when writing. If your writing follows song patterns, i.e. pop, jazz, rock, big band, etc., you will find it easier. If you are more experimental, this arranger approach may be not exactly do what you are looking for. I would strongly suggest looking into Utube PA4x recordings of styles and determining if that approach will work for you. The PA4x, or for that matter the PA3X or PA3xle or PA900 all will give you good styles to work from.

Regarding live playing, I find the arrangers best when playing solo, but work just fine in a band environment if your other bandmates can adjust accordingly. FWIW Cool

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
rotur

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you nitecrawler l am the kind of writer who does not tend to follow the pop song formula. My writing tends to be more fluid and you have given me other things to consider other than arrangers. The limitation of style creation and sound palettes would not sit comfortably with me. I will now have a closer look at Kronos
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotor, that may be just the right fit. Kronos has drum patterns that are attached to different programs. I would assume easily changed. A good sound and a beat may just be enough to get your ideas down. Wink

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: