Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tips on Hard drive replacement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbeliz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Tips on Hard drive replacement Reply with quote

Does anyone have any suggestions on replacing the HD Drive to an SS Drive and what model of drive will work and what is needed for the swap.
Anukis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a PATA IDE SSD. You can buy the transcend ones on the bay but they are expensive. You can still buy them new but the price is thru the roof. Both my O's have these 64GB ones and it loads in about 10 seconds with all EXS STR LAC MOD-7 etc etc . Great upgrade, you won't regret.

Also you won't get noise from the hdd since there is no spinning drive.

It is located under left side of the O above the joystick. The problem you will face is getting into the drive to get it out. Its a tough job but doable. Then you will have to restore from the original operating disks etc and re-enter your authorisations from the korguser.net website. Do not clone the drive. It will not work for long and you will have problems in future. The whole system just works better and faster obviously.

Best of luck.
Fantom G8
Fantom G7
jbeliz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, so I thought you have to clone the drive then install the new drive and recovery disc. So do you just install the blank drive without cloning?
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anukis wrote:
You need a PATA IDE SSD. You can buy the transcend ones on the bay but they are expensive. You can still buy them new but the price is thru the roof. Both my O's have these 64GB ones and it loads in about 10 seconds with all EXS STR LAC MOD-7 etc etc . Great upgrade, you won't regret.

It is located under left side of the O above the joystick. The problem you will face is getting into the drive to get it out. Its a tough job but doable. Then you will have to restore from the original operating disks etc and re-enter your authorisations from the korguser.net website. Do not clone the drive. It will not work for long and you will have problems in future. The whole system just works better and faster obviously.

Best of luck.

Not clear on what you're indicating as an upgrade HD option for the OASYS - could you indicate precisely the model number, or point to one for sale online? Very interested in this. Thanks!
jbeliz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin to upgrade the Hard drive you would need to buy an SSD IDE 44pin Drive, i just purchased mine and i am still waiting for it i can maybe post the procedure if i get it right the first time on the swap.
DennyC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J,

I sure hope it works out. The keybed is super and with an expanded drive like the ss type, it should really be fantastic. I know they are built like a tank...and I also love the non weighted keys. Best of luck with the new project.
thanks,
Denny C
Anukis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Anukis wrote:

Best of luck.

Not clear on what you're indicating as an upgrade HD option for the OASYS - could you indicate precisely the model number, or point to one for sale online? Very interested in this. Thanks!

HI Kevin glad to help. I am not in my country right now. Outside for work. I have just checked the bay and these are the exact drives in my O's. I have tried those cheap chinese branded ones and they are very poorly made and the chipsets connected to the drives inside are all of unknown brand names so I did not even bother to install. I did open one up to see what was inside and the soldering is very poor and it is not worth spending hours pulling your Oasys apart only to reopen it and do it all over again because the HD is at fault. The Transcend ones in my O's have been there 4 years. No hiccups problems or faults whatsoever. I also feel more confident travelling on planes with my O's as the HD has no more spinning parts and my O's just fire up and do their job.

Oasys SSD

Transcend TS128GPSD330 128GB

TRANSCEND TS64GPSD330 64GB

For anyone interested OWC does still make IDE SSD's but the price is just a crazy amount of money ($400 32Gb) so the next name down is Transcend. I could not find any other name brand manufacturers still selling new PATA IDE drives.
Fantom G8
Fantom G7
jbeliz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to successfully install my first SSD drive to my Oasys it was a 64GB King Spec model cost me about $50 for the drive. The process was easier than i thought and i did notice faster boot time by 40 seconds vs the factory HDD, and in loading samples i noticed about 10 seconds faster loading a pack of 564mb of samples. So all in all i am happy it worked. I cloned my drive installed it and it booted up with out having to re-authorize anything all my data was there the way it was. I love the Oasys even more now. I made a video of the procedure that i hope to upload soon on the process to help anyone else out that is interested.
DennyC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Josh!

Denny C
Geoff Flynn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbeliz wrote:
I was able to successfully install my first SSD drive to my Oasys it was a 64GB King Spec model cost me about $50 for the drive. The process was easier than i thought and i did notice faster boot time by 40 seconds vs the factory HDD, and in loading samples i noticed about 10 seconds faster loading a pack of 564mb of samples. So all in all i am happy it worked. I cloned my drive installed it and it booted up with out having to re-authorize anything all my data was there the way it was. I love the Oasys even more now. I made a video of the procedure that i hope to upload soon on the process to help anyone else out that is interested.

I'm looking to do the same. Thanks in advance for the video Very Happy
jbeliz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a video I made showing the boot time difference in HDD vs SSD before and after the install.
https://youtu.be/M2llrofA5Xs
Geoff Flynn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbeliz wrote:
Here is a video I made showing the boot time difference in HDD vs SSD before and after the install.
https://youtu.be/M2llrofA5Xs

Thanks for the vid. Improvement in loading time is excellent.

Looking forward to a "how to do it" video. I'm just as interested in cloning the drive as something I've never tried before. And I only use Mac's so should be fun.....
jbeliz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks for the vid. Improvement in loading time is excellent.

Looking forward to a "how to do it" video. I'm just as interested in cloning the drive as something I've never tried before. And I only use Mac's so should be fun.....

I did make a tutorial video on the install i just haven't uploaded it yet. I am actually going to swap the Drive again using a better quality SATA SSD with ide adapter and see if that improves it any or if the speed is the same on both drives, the boot time makes a big difference not having to wait almost a minute more for it to boot.
Rav2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin

Yes, upgrading the OASYS hard disk to a solid state can be done and is actually quite easy! I did it myself per K_Take's instructions (google translator is your best friend here Smile: https://synth-voice.sakura.ne.jp/synth-voice/html5/column11.html)

I've purchased a TRANSCEND 64GB SSD IDE (order code "TS64GPSD330"). See the product details from their website https://www.transcend-info.com/products/Product_detail.aspx?no=418. I am a happy camper since that upgrade (quicker boot times, no HD noise). Note that an OS re-install / re-authorization of synth engines may be required (at least I did it that way: let the OASYS 76 format the SSD, then build up the OS from scratch). Great upgrade, you won't regret!

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Anukis wrote:

Best of luck.

Best regards / shine on,
Rav2
DAW: Juggling between FL 12 and Reaper.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: