Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New SV1, out of the box- no sound

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slmitchell737

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: New SV1, out of the box- no sound Reply with quote

Apology if this has been covered.
My girlfriend was an excellent classical pianist by age 10 with perfect pitch. Doesn't play much anymore. She finally agreed to teach me so we went looking for a digital piano with good feel for the keys.

Went in expecting to buy a Yamaha for half the money or less, and fell for the Korg SV188, knowing it was much more capable than I'd need as a student. (I did want something that inspired me to play, and would be a nice compliment to an eventual Grand Piano for her)

Anyway- no sound. It's late- we just unboxed it after midnight. Read the basic troubleshoot and Googled & YouTubed for a solid hour and no luck.
Just thought I'd ask here before heading to bed and see what answers I might wake up to.

I appreciate the help and hoping for something simple.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should work out of the box, provided all the connections are correctly made. Return to the store for refund or replacement might be the best course of action. However, trying the following won't invalidate any warranty.

So, what are the symptoms?

Do any LEDs come on when the unit is powered on and, if so, do they appear to respond to button pressing or control changes?

Is the Local Off switch LED switched off?

If yes to the above, can the demos be played with the Master Level set to half way? Disconnect any pedals or damper, if connected.

Can any faint clicks be heard in the speakers or headphones when the unit is powered on or off?

Can a faint hiss be heard in the headphones when main Master Volume is set to maximum and Boost or Comp Pre-FX is selected and enabled, and amp Drive is set to max?

If the SV-1's MIDI out is connected to another device's MIDI in, does the other device make any sound when keys are pressed?

slmitchell737

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply.
The only connection we saw was the power cord. It does turn on, all led's work and light up and appear to operate correctly. We understand there is a warm up with the analog tube. In the quick trouble shoot section we saw to make sure the "local off" wasn't on.
We don't have headphones with the proper size input, but no sounds at all coming from the speakers and seeing some posts about stuck keys, we tested all 88 and no sound at all.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the demos play?

carmel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With power cord as the only connection, you might have no speakers connected. The SV1 has no internal speakers so you need an external solution.

Carmel
slmitchell737

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demos won't play

And everything I've seen says it does have built in speakers. Though I didn't find that in the actual manual. What we remember at the store is that it was only connected to the pedal and power cord while we demo'd it. (We know the connections because we thought we were going to buy the floor model until they found a box. )

I always reserve the right to be wrong though- that's the best explanation. Kind of hoping for that actually even though it means another small purchase to get going.
carmel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it!. At the store they might have connected via Headphone out.
If you are looking for speakers please avoid anything of "keyboard amplifier" species. They all sound crap and canny for acoustic piano sounds.

First get an adapter for a decent headphone and get an impressin how it should sound. Active studio monitors may be the nearest representation.

Carmel
CowboyNQ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slmitchell737 wrote:
Demos won't play

And everything I've seen says it does have built in speakers. Though I didn't find that in the actual manual. What we remember at the store is that it was only connected to the pedal and power cord while we demo'd it. (We know the connections because we thought we were going to buy the floor model until they found a box. )

I always reserve the right to be wrong though- that's the best explanation. Kind of hoping for that actually even though it means another small purchase to get going.

Yep, that's your issue. The SV-1 does not have internal speakers.
slmitchell737

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep
So, one of many times a novice will feel dumb.
But can y'all make me feel better for spending this much when I could have walked out fully set up on something decent for $500?

I don't mind paying for quality- it's worth it right?

My girlfriend is already talking about how much she can accomplish connecting it to the Mac... which is over my head
CowboyNQ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slmitchell737 wrote:

But can y'all make me feel better for spending this much when I could have walked out fully set up on something decent for $500?

I don't mind paying for quality- it's worth it right?

In a word - "yes". It's a professional quality keyboard and certainly worth the money, assuming you paid a standard retail price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: