Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Loading Saved files from SD Card-New to Korg

View previous topic :: View next topic  
navygent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:16 am    Post subject: Loading Saved files from SD Card-New to Korg Reply with quote

Hello!

I just purchased the Korg Kross 88key a few days ago. I learned how to use the sequencer and save the files to the SD Card holding EXIT and GLOBAL/MEDIA keys.

So when I turn on my Kross and I hold down EXIT and GLOBAL/MEDIA keys to select the files (sng) and the (pcg) with the same name to load both of them using FUNCTION key.

I press the SEQ button that's next to the Combi, then the Play button nothing happens.

The tutorials and manual really don't seem to really explain this.

On other synths, I would create a song, work on it a bit, come back add more to it, etc, but the Korg has been frustrating because while the files are listed there, I only occasionally get them to start up. The SD card is 32gb and brand new and has been formatted through the Korg.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, just to clarify:

When you load the PCG, and you load the SNG, does it say that it's loading them? There should be a pause while it loads the relevant data (more noticeable on the large file).

Can you confirm that?
navygent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does load on the PCG (larger file) and SNG file (barely registers but I guess it loaded).

I noticed though I saved using a name (for example TEST123) for both those files, when I call it up again, it says "New Song" I found the new song (I did a system reset and loaded demos (which is fine because it guides me to where I need to look).

Not really understanding the CLEAR button so I'm going to try loading again, hitting APPEND and see if it changes the "New Song" to what I originally named it.

Nope, it's there, but keeps adding "New Song"'s to the list, Newsong6, Newsong 7, Newsong8. Hitting ENTER on the list Gives me a nice scroll down, but if I had 20 new songs (how it's keeping all the songs in memory even after I turned off the keyboard I'm not sure)

Arrgh, well at least I have the songs, but the New Song is annoying, it's not listing the name of the Song that I created "TEST123"
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, this is kind of tricky.

Basically, you can save multiple songs in a single PCG/SNG song.

If you like, you can think of the PCG/SNG as a combo, and scrolling through them.

Try renaming your song, as well as saving the files as TEST123 or whatever.

It's a little counterintuitive, but if you think of it as saving a set rather than a single piece, it makes more sense.
navygent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the help!

I see, so it's like a "Project"

I tried going in and changing "NEWSONG" to "Test123" it lets me, but when I restart the keyboard, load the Test123 project, it still shows up as "NEWSONG".

So essentially just work on a few projects at a time and finish them before working on the others. I'll typically have 5-10 songs I start off with, I could do that, but will have to write down..
"NEWSONG"-Funky Jazz take TEST123
"NEWSONG2"-Idea for house music BOOMBOOM
"NEWSONG3"-Funny Dance Number MEOWOW

on a piece of paper and tape it to my Kross.

It's odd, seems it should be easier than that.

Thanks for the help! I will say compared to Roland, Korg has some really massive sounds, and better build quality. So I'm sure I'll get years of fun out of it.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, happy to help.

I can see where you're coming from, but also think of it in terms of a gigging musician:

LASVEGAS.PCG

1 - BigOpening
2 - Dancebeat
3 - HeavyNumber

... and so on.

Then it makes quite a lot more sense.
navygent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok NOW I see what you mean!!

I'm still learning, but now I can run through the basics with less confusion.

It is much appreciated!
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delighted to be able to help.

I will add: once you get the hang of the Kross, it's a delightfully powerful tool. Given a good mic, you can write complete songs including vocals or sampled instruments in layers and mixed down.

I would add that I combine mine with a Behringer BCR2000 for easier live parameter twiddling. That is the one big weakness of the Kross, but aside from that it's just a great little system. I've written album material using just the Kross, with no qualms or concerns. The fact that it can also act as a master keyboard, driving a team of desktop synths, just makes it so much sweeter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: