Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MicroKEY 37 stopped working in Mac, but works in other PC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alpiel91

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: MicroKEY 37 stopped working in Mac, but works in other PC Reply with quote

So I got this Korg MicroKEY (first gen) yesterday, used but in mint condition, even came with the box, manual, cable and all the factory stuff.

I plugged in the controller through my Dodocool USB 3.0 7-Port Hub (which has worked without trouble for a couple of years and I discard as being the cause of the problem because other USB MIDI controllers work great using the same usb ports), and it worked just fine for a couple hours.

After unplugging the MicroKEY 37 controller and then plugging it again, the LEDs wouldn't turn on. I then tried reseting the USB Hub, trying it in other ports, using other USB cables and even connecting it directly to the Macbook: it just wouldn't even show in the System Info under USB.

I then downloaded the Korg USB-MIDI Driver 1.2.3 r7 and tried all possible combinations again. When connecting it directly to the Macbook I was able to make it turn on the LEDs after unplugging it and plugging it a couple times (4 or 5 times), after that it would turn on the lights everytime I unplugged it and plugged it again.

That's when I thought the problem might have been originated in the hub, but when I tried to use the controller and pressed the octave shift keys, suddenly the controller would stop working. The LEDs remained on and still responded when pressing the shift keys, but when I opened the Editor Software the controller wouldn't show up as connected.

I then proceeded to delete the KORG Driver by deleting the Kernel Extension (.kext file) in /System/Library/Extensions and the .plugin file in /Library/Audio/Midi Plugins. even searched for Korg associated preference files and deleted them. After that I repaired the disc permissions and restarted the Macbook.

Behaviour wouldn't change, no response through the hub, LEDs would light up after few attempts connecting it directly to the Macbook but functionality would fail after shifting octaves or sometimes it wouldn't work at all.

I booted the Macbook in single user mode, then connected the MicroKEY 37 Controller directly and tried doing some things like reseting it and connecting it in different (left and right) ports (click the image to see large full res version):

The MicroKEY controller works perfectly in other computers (albeit Windows but still USB 3.0), it just ceased working in my Macbook (remember at first it worked great). Even when I boot up in Windows 10 (with bootcamp), the behaviour is the same.

Also, when connected to the Macbook (directly or through the USB 3.0 Hub) the USB type A ports in it still kinda work (if i plug another controller it will light up but not work, same thing with my apple mouse).

I found this guy who replaced the GL850G USB Hub Chip in the MicroKEY 37, but I don't want to open the keyboard, let alone engage in mayor surgery just yet.

I searched in this forum but only was able to find one post where someone had a similar problem, there's plenty of posts about the MicroKEY not working, but most had no answers or further details.

---

I'm using an Apple Macbook Retina 15" late 2013 Core-i7 2.3GHz HT Cuad Core 512GB SSD 16GB RAM with MacOS Yosemite 10.10.5 and Windows 10, and as secondary machine an HP ProBook 440 Core i7 2.4 GHz HT Quad Core 16GB RAM 480 SSD with Windows 10.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: