Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to make sure your first gig is a big hit (Roland Style)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: How to make sure your first gig is a big hit (Roland Style) Reply with quote

Got this via email today, worth a giggle: http://www.roland.co.uk/blog/prepare-first-gig/?_cldee=YW5kcmV3LmNhcG9uQHplbi5jby51aw%3d%3d&recipientid=contact-5664aec009aadd119a14001ec9b77038-a6970dbe28a94c35b0c508917dff5e9c&esid=84aa19df-bfbb-e611-80d7-000d3a216756

Just number 1, look at the link for more:

Quote:

#1. First gigs start with friendship
If you want to be a participant in the local live scene, first get out there and experience it. Watch some gigs, befriend the rising local bands, shout a few Jägerbombs, ask their advice and fish for support slots. Work out which venue hosts the best upcoming bands in your genre, then ply the promoter with pints. Your bar tab won’t look pretty, but you’ll be paid back in contacts.

An I just too old or is the advise to buy people drinks to get gigs a bit shite. I just dispair.
fcoulter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How to make sure your first gig is a big hit (Roland Sty Reply with quote

BobTheDog wrote:
Got this via email today, worth a giggle: http://www.roland.co.uk/blog/prepare-first-gig/?_cldee=YW5kcmV3LmNhcG9uQHplbi5jby51aw%3d%3d&recipientid=contact-5664aec009aadd119a14001ec9b77038-a6970dbe28a94c35b0c508917dff5e9c&esid=84aa19df-bfbb-e611-80d7-000d3a216756

Just number 1, look at the link for more:

Quote:

#1. First gigs start with friendship
If you want to be a participant in the local live scene, first get out there and experience it. Watch some gigs, befriend the rising local bands, shout a few Jägerbombs, ask their advice and fish for support slots. Work out which venue hosts the best upcoming bands in your genre, then ply the promoter with pints. Your bar tab won’t look pretty, but you’ll be paid back in contacts.

An I just too old or is the advise to buy people drinks to get gigs a bit shite. I just dispair.

Making checklists and friends with the other bands is essential. Our drummer forgot his bass drum pedal once...

Korg: Kronos2 88
Other: Tyros 5 76, DGX-650, YPT-320, Fretted Clavichord, Upright Piano, DX-7, SY-99, eMu MPS (last three in attic)

RCM Certificates: Advanced Rudiments
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How to make sure your first gig is a big hit (Roland Sty Reply with quote

BobTheDog wrote:

Just number 1,

Whilst I wouldn't say I've bought people Drinks to get gigs or bribed anyone intentionally,don't ever under estimate the benefit of getting to know other local bands or musicians on a personal level even if your not into their music or follow them regularly,networking with other acts comes with the territory I would say.

It helps your own persona by having a peek to see what others do in the local area,getting to know musicians and local promoters or venue owners is invaluable,even if you perhaps feel a little stupid asking for advice/Pointers,they might one day bump into someone who is looking for an act that you fit the bill for.

For my situation,Knowing a friend of a friend of a friend etc by getting to know other musicians has certainly helped to get a few one off gigs here and there or doing some paid session work for other bands that didn't have a Keyboard player,without getting out there and selling myself in some form I doubt some opportunities would have come my way.

if you don't interact with others even if you feel buying them a beer is out of touch, don't expect to get much local work most of my gigs in the early stages was via word of mouth or talking to others to sell myself,some one off wedding gigs still are from Word of Mouth or from people who attended those weddings wanting a live act at their own wedding/party.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: