Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MIDI program change not being sent in Favourite mode

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperKons

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: MIDI program change not being sent in Favourite mode Reply with quote

Hello,
here is the current situation: I have created a few Combis, in which I have set some of the channels as EXT, and the channel numbers as 1G, 2, 3, etc., respectively.
According to the Parameter Guide, when switching favourite, a PC message is sent, in the range 0-15.
I found out that, if I only used a single EXT channel, sending on Gch, then the PC message is sent.

Also, I have a Combi where I use the arpeggiator, and I am not sure that, if I set all the channels to EXT/Gch, the arpeggiator will still trigger notes for the associated sounds.

Cheers
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SuperKons,

That's not what I see with my Kross.
If a combi consists of several external channels, a Program Change message is sent for the timbres on the Gch and one for all the timbres set to external. There is no Program Change message for the remaining Timbres as these are internal or off.

Can you elaborate on the combi you are switching to?

Bye.
SuperKons

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello OpAmp,
it regards Miroslav, again. I created a setlist, out of the different multis I made in Miroslav, and assigned a sequential Program Change number, to each and every one of them, that is, 0, 1, 2, etc.

On the Kross, I created corresponding Combis, in which I set all the channels that trigger Miroslav to EXT, for instance: on Miroslav, I have a multi comprised of 4 instruments, on channel 1, 2, 3, and 4; on the Kross, the corresponding Combi has channels 1G, 2, 3, and 4 set to EXT. This goes for all other multis and Combis.
All those Combis are in sequential Favourite slots, that, normally, send a Program Change message, first Favourite sends PC0, sixteenth Favourite sends 15, etc.

Now, the problem lies in selecting/switching to the next Favourite. With the afore-mentioned setup, that is, EXT channels set to use 1G, 2, 3, 4, etc., selecting/switching Favourite DOES not select/switch a multi in Miroslav. However, if I use only one EXT channel, set to use Gch, the switch in Miroslav occurs.

This should be clear enough to understand what fine mess I have got myself into Razz
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SuperKons,

Well I don't know how the Miroslav SW handles multis and program changes. But here is what the Kross sends out when switching:

* It sends on the Gch MIDI channel a Program Change message. The number of the program is indeed the number of the favorite button - 1 that you use. At least if your favorites are stored in bank A, otherwise for banks B, C or D, respectively 16, 32 or 48 are added to the button number.
* If this favorite selects a combi with timbres set to external, for all these timbres, extra Program Change messages are sent out on the configured MIDI channel of such a timbre. The exact bank and number that is sent out at that moment can be programmed if you choose Ext2 iso Ext.
* If a timbre is set as external and uses the Gch MIDI channel, the programmed Program number is not sent out. It is overruled by the first bullet of this list, meaning the program number is depending on the favorites button.

If Miroslav handles several instruments (4 as you indicate) really as separate ones, each having its own MIDI channel, I would configure the Ext Timbres to EXT2. On the Combi/Prog page, you can then set the Program Number that will be sent out on that MIDI channel. In your case it would correspond to the Favorites number - 1. That would make that when selecting such a combi, the Kross sends 4 times the same Program Changes number out, but on the 4 different MIDI channels. On the page C-Timbre/MIDI you can further specify the bank of the program (just in case you have more than 128 setups in Miroslav), otherwise leave the MSB and LSB of the bank to 0 I would say.

Have fun
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot this one, make sure that on page C-MIDI-FILTER/1 the Program Change is enabled for the external timbres.

Bye
SuperKons

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello OpAmp,
Everything you say makes sense, however, I am wondering about this: I re-use the same Combi several times, in a song, so, for this reason, different Favourites have the same Combi, associated to them. If I specify the Programme Number, as you explained, that would cause to switch back to the first Favourite slot, where that Combi has been associated, as opposed to the next Favourite slot, which is not what I want. I could have the same Combi replicated in more Combis, which would send the correct Programme Number, but that feels unnecessary and redundant, would you not agree?

Cheers
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Yep, replicating the Combis over and over again and changing the EXT channels to get the right program number each time to get it in line with the button is a workaround but far from preferred. I'm afraid I can not give you a decent answer as I don't understand how the Miroslav handles multis.

Let me ask you something.
* As I understand it, a multi consists of several instruments, each having their own MIDI channel?
* How can you change multis using MIDI? Do you need one Program Change on a certain channel to setup the complete multi with the different instruments? Or do you need Program Changes on each instrument (and hence their MIDI channel) to change the multi?

Other tip to explore in case you need a program change per instrument.
* Set up the instruments in Miroslav to use other MIDI channels than the Gch of the Kross.
* Set your external timbres to Ext2 and configure the right program number and MIDI channel per Timbre.
By doing this, Miroslav does not need to listen to the Gch of the Kross. Hence the combi can be stored on whatever favorite button and repeated even several times. Because it is the favorite button number that is sent as program change on the global channel and this is ignored by Miroslav. Next to that, at the moment you switch a favorite, the program change for the Ext2 Timbres is sent out as configured in the combi.

Cheers
SuperKons

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
believe it or not, I sorted it out, before reading your reply, this is what I did:

* in Miroslav, I set the MIDI channel, for every instrument used in the MULTI, to 1
* in the Combi, I set EXT2 to every timbre, corresponding to the instrument in the MULTI, not touching the Programme Number; also, I set the MIDI channel, for every timbre, to Gch

By means of doing that, not only are the Favourites correctly switching sequentially, but I do not need the workaround for the arpeggiator, that is, I can assign the arpeggiator to the timbres, and have them sound, at the same time.

Now, to your questions:

* in Miroslav, a MULTI is much like a Combi, that is, 16 parts (or timbres, if you like), with freely assignable MIDI channels (useful for MIDI recording in a DAW, for example)
* it is possible to switch MULTIs by sending across a Programme Change message. Each MULTI can be associated to a number, ranging from 000 to 999

Of course, Miroslav can be instructed to receive different MIDI messages, as it has a "LEARN" function. I am happy to elaborate more on this, privately Smile

OpAmp, you have assisted me greatly, in my quest to properly configure Miroslav to be used at gigs, I truly appreciate that you have dedicated some of your time, to try and figure out how to resolve these issues, thank you very much! At my band's next gig, I shall be able to give the public a more realistic experience, in terms of orchestral sounds.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! It's my pleasure.

Enjoy your next gig!

Bye.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: