Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kross vs TR vs M50

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firecracker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Kross vs TR vs M50 Reply with quote

Hello guys!

I'm about to go out and buy my very first keyboard so I wanted to hear your opinion about the pros and cons for each one of these keyboards, which one is better and why? etc.

I'm mainly going to be learning and experimenting at home or going over at a friend's house (who's playing drums) to do some "rock jamming" Razz

My max budget is at 600€ and what I've found is :

-A used TR for 480€
-A used M50 for around 500€
-And new Kross for 550€
all 3 are the 61 keys models
rammstein

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Kross vs TR vs M50 Reply with quote

Firecracker wrote:
Hello guys!

I'm about to go out and buy my very first keyboard so I wanted to hear your opinion about the pros and cons for each one of these keyboards, which one is better and why? etc.

I'm mainly going to be learning and experimenting at home or going over at a friend's house (who's playing drums) to do some "rock jamming" Razz

My max budget is at 600€ and what I've found is :

-A used TR for 480€
-A used M50 for around 500€
-And new Kross for 550€
all 3 are the 61 keys models

if you'll be going over to your friend's house that often, i think you will appreciate the portability of the kross. it can run on battery power, too. the fact that you'll be purchasing it new means you'll be getting warranty for a year. the other 2 are quite old and it might be a challenge finding one in pristine condition. these things break sooner or later and you'll be spending more productive years with a new kross. Wink

the M50 has a touch screen, and probably the predecessor of the krome.

i don't have a lot of experience with the TR, but i think it's the oldest of the 3.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Rammstein.

Also, the Kross is a remarkably flexible instrument, despite its limitations. Obviously, your budget heavily influences the limitations you'll have to experience anyway, but the warranty is quite important if you have a limited budget, because you won't be able to afford costly repairs or replacements.

For a little general jamming, the Kross is more than adequate. If you want to do deep composition, it's not that great, but that is not at all what you describe.

I would be remiss if I didn't suggest that you also consider Casio's offerings in this price range. Somewhat larger than the Kross, but also capable of running on battery, is the Casio XW-P1. It has a serviceable set of performance sounds, and while it doesn't really have a linear sequencer, it does have a step sequencer that can help keep time with your drumming friend. Its step sequencer is substantially more sophisticated than that of the Kross, as are its performance controls (especially for organ sounds).

Still, I don't believe that the Kross would be in any way inadequate for your needs, and you should get one - and then save up for a microphone so that you can also use its vocoder capabilities, or audio recording. Another good thing to save for would be a Behringer BCR2000, and a couple of MIDI cables so that you can give your Kross a whole box of knobs. An expression pedal would be good, too.

In the end, you'll be surprised what you can do with that little keyboard.
Alexx_best

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Kross vs TR vs M50 Reply with quote

[quote="rammstein"]
Firecracker wrote:
I don't have a lot of experience with the TR, but i think it's the oldest of the 3.

TR is the oldest and the most serious - You have fully configurable sampler with it (till 64 Mb).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: