Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kontrol49 and Ableton Live (help setting up please!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiri

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Kontrol49 and Ableton Live (help setting up please!) Reply with quote

I'm trying to get the kontrol49 set up in ableton live 8. I can get the keyboard keys to play, but cannot seem to get the instant mapping feature in live to work. The pads, sliders, knobs etc don't seem to do anything.

In the live midi settings I have:
Control surface 1 = kontrol49
input = port B
output = ctrl port

I've tried every other combination of these settings too, but nothing seems to work. Also have tried loading the scene for Live that came preinstalled on the keyboard.

I'm very much a beginner and have no idea what I'm doing, but have been searching for info on this issue for the last few hours. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a lot of information out there.
Can anyone help me???
benjos

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: kontrol 49 Reply with quote

have you figured much out? i am looking for help as a newb also running ableton 8 w/ kontrol 49.
do you know about scenes? i can only control ableton when running an ableton template in sc12.
i also don't know what to expect from instant mapping b/c i haven't figured anything out yet.
HELP!!!
madboy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to have korg kontrol setup on two channels, one set to port a and one set to port b

Then you have to click on dump and it will send the information to you kontrol 49 keyboard and you sholud be able to use the knobs, i seem to have to do this everytime i restart live to get knobs and sliders to work.
rawmethod

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which channels are you referring to. And where do i find the ports.

Thanks for your help.
benjos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm doing my best off years old memories and never was a guru or even bedroom producer....
Ableton stuff for connectivity primarily takes place in the Preferences menu. (hit Ctrl + ,) i think most commands on the Kontrol 49 are defaulted to port A with maybe the piano keys and mod wheels on port B?
i did not initially tunderstand that the Kontrol 49 has a little "computer"on it too and so adjusting parameters for communication is essential. that is done by pushing button combos on the Kontrol. i don't have one in front of me, but pressing the Scene button with the "MAIN ENC" bottom left pad will allow to change MIDI Channels i think. play around, push buttons, that's how i learned.
PS I have no idea what command controls are. you?
hope this helps.
rawmethod

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have dumped data into the Korg using the dump function mentioned. This seems to have over written the data that comes as factory standard in the kontrol 49. Nothing at all works now. I need to somehow reset it back to its original state. At least the keys worked then. Im a bit hack3d off with the keyboard tbh. still its pretty old now i guess. Most unintuitive thing ive used with ableton. I bought it for reason and it was great for that.

I have put a ticket in to Korg lets see if they come up with answers.
benjos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you been using th3 korg editing program? i think the dump was all about setting up stuff on the cmoputer using the korg editor and then DUMP the configuration onto the Korg. and maybe even just the opposit too? i got into saving my settings and eventually got to using almost the kontrol exclusively to edit it's settings.
i'm a hack and wanted to help b/c i learned the kontrol on my own. i jsut use it as a B3 emulator controller these days; pretty cool to have the sliders as drawbars.
rawmethod

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont understand that software. I guess its another thing i will have to try and learn. It just seems odd that the keyboard is not giving out any midi signal at all to ableton since i did that dump. I have tried messing with the channels and anything I can find to help in the mAnual.

I think ableton would indicate if it was recieving any s8gnal at all and it doesnt. I think its got to be down to the ports surely. Whats odd though is my other controllers all have there own input and output in the drop downs on abletons preferences and when i select the korg it is an option as a device but will only offer midi from other midi devices i have.

Im well puzzled lol
day1dan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Korg Kontrol49 and Ableton Live 9 - It works! Reply with quote

I have a Korg Kontrol49 and just started using Ableton Live 9. The two work together with a little bit of effort.

I found that the DUMP feature in Live didn't work so I took to programming the Kontrol49 manually. Here's how to make it work:

[b]1. Download the Kontrol49/Ableton Live Midi map[/b]
Find the file "Live.pdf", open it and minimize the window for now
http://www.korg.com/us/support/download/software/1/128/3364/

[b]2. Download the Kontrol49 user guide[/b]
http://i.korg.com/uploads/Support/KONTROL49_Manual_633670144972120000.pdf

[b]3. Turn Kontrol49 on and Plug in[/b]
Ensure your Kontrol49 is plugged in to your computer via USB and the lights are on

[b]4. Set up the Kontrol49 in Ableton[/b]
- Open Ableton, on the menu bar click "Live" then "Preferences"
- On line 1 select "Control Surface" Kontrol49, "Midi Input" Kontrol49 Midi A, "Midi Output" Kontrol49 CTRL
- On line 2 select "Control Surface" Kontrol49, "Midi Input" Kontrol49 Midi B, "Midi Output" Kontrol49 CTRL

[b]5. Program your Kontrol49[/b]
Each button on your Kontrol49 has to be programmed individually, but this is easier than you think. You'll have to select a Midi Channel and a Control Change Number (CC#) for each so they can be recognized as individual switches or knobs by Ableton. Buttons also have an option called Toggle (T) or Moment (M). Think of Toggle as an on/off switch and Moment as a quick push button.

- Now refer to the Midi Map that you downloaded and match each button, switch and knob to the Midi Channel, CC# and T/M listed
- For more detail read from page 20 onwards in the Kontrol49 Manual. Note that it is important to assign PORTS USB A or USB B to each Kontrol49 function. This is done by pressing SETTING then the Pad15 key and setting each function according to the bottom right of the Midi Map.

[b]6. IMPORTANT - SAVE YOUR SETTINGS BEFORE YOU UNPLUG[/b]
- Hold the "SCENE" key and press Pad 16, this brings you to the "write" page to save your new SCENE
- Rotate the main knob to select which SCENE you want to save to. Each SCENE number corresponds to one of the pads
- After selecting the SCENE you want to save to, press the right arrow Octave Shift/Curser button (Green)
- Use the main knob and the right arrow again to change the name of the SCENE
- Press "ENTER" to save

[b]7. Edit Keys based on preference[/b]
Now that your Kontrol49 and Ableton are talking, you can adjust the settings to reflect how you want to use your Kontrol49.
- At the top right of the Ableton interface press the button that says MIDI
- Next, click the blue shaded button that you want to assign a key to and press a corresponding key on the Kontrol49. You’ll notice that a small number shows up on the right of the button - this means it worked!

**[b]SIDE NOTE[/b] - Some have had luck with the DUMP function in Ableton. Just make sure that you’ve saved your Scene (#6 above) before doing so as it will erase your coding otherwise. First read page 53 of the Kontrol49 Manual, then in the Ableton menu click “Live” then “Preferences” then “Link Midi” and press DUMP next to the two Control Surfaces you have set up for Port A and Port B.**

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: