Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos 61 as a cabin luggage?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
emilloparski

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Kronos 61 as a cabin luggage? Reply with quote

Hi, guys! I was doing some research, but wasn't able to find much... So does anyone have experience with carrying Kronos 61 as a cabin luggage, with a softcase, are there any problems, do they measure the kgs and so on?

Regards,
Emil
Geoff Flynn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos 61 as a cabin luggage? Reply with quote

emilloparski wrote:
Hi, guys! I was doing some research, but wasn't able to find much... So does anyone have experience with carrying Kronos 61 as a cabin luggage, with a softcase, are there any problems, do they measure the kgs and so on?

Regards,
Emil

Would definitely be classed as hold luggage. Far too large (both dimensions and weight) for taking into any aircraft cabin. Check Airline you are flying on for their cabin restrictions.
Korg Oasys 76, Korg Kronos 2 61, Korg Wavestation EX, Roland Jupiter X, 2 x Roland A800 Pro, Yamaha SY77, MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch Core i7 2.7GHz 16GB / 768GB, MainStage 3, Cymatic uTrack24, Samson S Patch, U-PHORIA UMC404HD Audio interface, Yamaha MG16XU mixer

Last edited by Geoff Flynn on Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos 61 as a cabin luggage? Reply with quote

emilloparski wrote:

Regards,
Emil

you better have a real life conversation with the airline about cabin restrictions. there is no ' 1 size fits all '

I assume you don't want your 61 in a soft case go banging around as a piece of luggage and end up in the luggage/storage compartment of the airplane
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having worked in aviation, I seriously doubt that they will let you carry it on. Bummer Crying or Very sad
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I really doubt it. I would say no.
In general, I wouldn't trust the Kronos as even checked in baggage with those knobs and joystick. I know others have done so, but I wouldn't trust it - especially with the RAM being able to come loose.
emilloparski

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys, just ordered a hardcase from Thomann. I would not riskbit then.

Regards,
Emil
Mulldoon219

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing you ordered from Thomann I'm going to surmise you're not in the US.

The US DOT (Dept. of Transportation) passed new regs in 2015 that provide for musicians traveling with musical instruments. They classify a guitar as a "small" instrument, so you might be able to get away with a 61-key synth on certain airlines (each sets there own rules based on the guidelines from the DOT)

The legalize is here:
https://www.transportation.gov/sites/dot.gov/files/docs/Musical%20instruments_FR_final%20rule.pdf

This page covers most major US airlines rules:
http://airlines.org/blog/instrument-rated-air-travel-for-musicians/

Basically, most say if it can fit safety in the overhead, you can stow it there. It DOES NOT have to meet their normal carry-on size requirements Just make sure you are one of the first to board. If you get on and there's no room in the overheads, you are SOL.

Some may require you to pay for an extra seat to house the instrument. Depending on the fare, that may or may not make financial sense.

Bottom line, check with the airline you are booked on and see what their policy is.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Kronos will fit in most overhead. The Korg Kross will though.
I still stand by the fact that I wouldn't ship a Kronos in baggage. I have had rentals that didn't make it working - ram came loose etc... They didn't even ship them as normal baggage - more like air freight.
OTOH I have a Kronos 1, maybe the 2 is more sturdy - but look at those knobs and joystick? So fragile.
Schmooster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a Flght-Case and do it properly, at least then you're insured. You won't fit this into any over-head locker without annoying the passengers around you - if in fact you could get it in there at all - prepare to find it buried beneath laptops if you do.
Schmooster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
I don't think the Kronos will fit in most overhead. The Korg Kross will though.
I still stand by the fact that I wouldn't ship a Kronos in baggage. I have had rentals that didn't make it working - ram came loose etc... They didn't even ship them as normal baggage - more like air freight.
OTOH I have a Kronos 1, maybe the 2 is more sturdy - but look at those knobs and joystick? So fragile.

Anything shipped unaccompanied is air-freight, anything shipped as baggage should be suitably packed!! Where do you think the term 'Flight-case' comes from?? If you pack it in a case where it's not secure in foam then you deserve whatever bits you get back out of it.

I'm sure people are just taking the preverbial around here, next it'll be "I'm thinking of buying a keyboard, what should I buy and how much should I spend on it"?
PatrickD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work for Northwest Orient Airlines before Delta ate them.
I will say this as well as I can from my experience handling baggage.

GET THE HARDEST CASE YOU CAN FIND AND DONT EXPECT IT TO STAY PRETTY. Very Happy
CUBASE 11.5 Halion 6
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> Where do you think the term 'Flight-case' comes from??

Are the SKB cases flight cases?

I had this one:
https://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=sku_type-hard-76&id=98&o=&offset=&c=88&s=76

Put my CS6X through luggage and the keys and knobs got smashed as the case can flex.
I agree on the HARD case part. You don't want it to flex at all.

Oh and on the air freight part - these were professionally packed - I'm talking keyboard rental guys - the SIMMS still came out. That's what I meant.
The keyboard outside was fine - the RAM got popped out from the travel.

>If you pack it in a case where it's not secure in foam then you deserve whatever bits you get back out of it.

????? is this necessary? I never understand when people post stuff like this. It's so irritating... There are so many other ways to post something like this.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the States I don't see anyway they would let you carry it on, no way no how, but they would let you do a gate check. Roll up to the jetway and at the plane a person takes it to be loaded below. Never the less it is still stacked with other luggage you just save yourself the worry of the trip to and from the plane and the luggage system in the terminal. I would not do so either way without a quality hard case.
DaveKeys

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:

I had this one:
https://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=sku_type-hard-76&id=98&o=&offset=&c=88&s=76

Put my CS6X through luggage and the keys and knobs got smashed as the case can flex.

Oh and on the air freight part - these were professionally packed - I'm talking keyboard rental guys - the SIMMS still came out. That's what I meant.

>If you pack it in a case where it's not secure in foam then you deserve whatever bits you get back out of it.

????? is this necessary? I never understand when people post stuff like this. It's so irritating... There are so many other ways to post something like this.

Hi Aron

Interesting what you say regarding the SKB case - I was thinking of ordering that model for my new Nord Electro5HP 73. I wouldn't be taking it on a plane, just loading in and out of cars and vans.
For my Kronos, I have the Korg HC-Kronos2 61 Case. I wonder if you have any experience of that, and if so, can tell me what the SKB is like for rigidity in comparison with the Korg case?
DaveKeys

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:

I had this one:

Hi Aron

Interesting what you say regarding the SKB case - I was thinking of ordering that model for my new Nord Electro5HP 73. I wouldn't be taking it on a plane, just loading in and out of cars and vans.

For my Kronos, I have the Korg HC-Kronos2 61 Case. I wonder if you have any experience of that, and if so, can tell me what the SKB is like for rigidity in comparison with the Korg case?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: