Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is KORG still in The Evolution

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PatrickD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject: Is KORG still in The Evolution Reply with quote

Having watched the series of flagship boards since the Triton I am able to say I am impressed with what KORG has produced over the years
Its been a long haul and having been an owner of 3 of these machines I have never had a bad day.
I was still learning the production capacities of my Extreme and along came my chance to own a glorified Oasys namely the KRONOS 2. So dropped the green and I am still lost in my pursuit and loving every bit of it.

Lately I have been thinking where on earth can KORG go with the next flagship and what it will be like.
I'm too old to wait to long so KORG do it to it. It will be an experience I'm sure. Very Happy
CUBASE 11.5 Halion 6
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that with all the different software and hardware instruments available today it will take a miracle for a new instrument to be considered 'revolutionary'.
Given the fact that the OASYS platform is exactly that, a platform based on a concept which evolved since the early nineties, I expect KORG to build further on this platform in terms of expanding/improving aspects of the KRONOS, such as making everything 64 bit, more RAM, more powerful DSP, improved GUI, new additional engines, improvements on the sequencer, etc.

I don't think VST support will be one of the new features, unless KORG has made agreements with third party manufacturers about certain plug-ins with a customized GUI to be made available for the new incarnation of the OASYS which they can test first in order to determine the impact on the system in terms of processing requirements and stability.
So, what I expect is evolution and refinement, not revolution.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though all the musical software tools that exist today, I think that the "All in one" formula of the Kronos is the best direction for Korg to keep it up. And there are still a lot of evolution that can be done within that direction Very Happy

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two EVOLUTIONS I would like to see are:

If these platforms are able to generate unlimited sounds / variations / combinations / Karma-fied performances, these boards need to eliminate the restriction on storage locations. Someone should design a product with an innovative interface to be able to store unlimited sounds / combinations and to be able to retrieve them instantaneously. Eliminate the concept of BANK limitations.

I would also like to see the synergy between workstation and analog synth developed. Imagine having a deeper control surface on the K2 to allow modification of the 9 engines OSC, VCO, VCA, AMP, etc hardware control interfaces in realtime!!! WOW.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Is KORG still in The Evolution Reply with quote

PatrickD wrote:
Having watched the series of flagship boards since the Triton I am able to say I am impressed with what KORG has produced over the years
Its been a long haul and having been an owner of 3 of these machines I have never had a bad day.
I was still learning the production capacities of my Extreme and along came my chance to own a glorified Oasys namely the KRONOS 2. So dropped the green and I am still lost in my pursuit and loving every bit of it.

Lately I have been thinking where on earth can KORG go with the next flagship and what it will be like.
I'm too old to wait to long so KORG do it to it. It will be an experience I'm sure. Very Happy

I always think in dollars and cents.

as much as I love the Kronos I have no idea if a replacement is being worked on for next year. Its possible that Korg will continue to squeeze more sales out of the current w/s platform.

There is much going on with other platforms. The VI's are very impressive.
I am going to finally get into VI's to complement my Kronos with MainStage as the host.

If I ran Korg, I would have been more aggressive with a Kronos next generation to show at Jan NAMM. The US economy is good and the Kronos is extremely popular. I think a new , slightly more expensive model would be embraced and cause tremendous buzz.

But its obvious there is not a huge need for this, and Korg can practically print money by offering variations on the Kronos- different colors, different keybeds, etc.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Kronos first came out, memory was not as advanced as it is today.
SSD was not as common, usb sticks were more commonly at 8gb or so.
Now getting miniaturized USB sticks at 64gb and i think i saw 128gb and definitley 128gb sd cards last year.

Computer evolution moves faster, memory and all. Korg doesn't move as much volume as the computer industry and likely not having the R&D budget to move that fast.
Yet still cutting edge for the device korg has done as Kronos.
It's obvious people are getting many of their ideas of "what more" from what they experience in computer based systems. So by the computers we know what is possible but the computers are at a different level of evolution, a different pace with customers in every household. Not the same for Korg.

No reason Kronos cannot come up with more onboard memory and disk space. They certainly are pushing the sound set creations beyond Kronos single load capacity. So i think the standard increased memory and disk space will be in order. Seems that more bank capacity falls right in line with that. I am actually expecting if not predicting this. Not suggesting.

Changes in the important internal hardware are going to come, mother board and whatever else of significance that i have no clue about. When decent internal hardware are no longer premium parts of other popular market devices, good deals to keep them manufactured for Kronos will come about and allow korg flagship to evolve affordably.

Affordably evolve is the key. Can't evolve at the rate of mainstream computers without the market support mainstream computers have.

Software upgrades are where it is at and i think will get even better as the next generation internal hardware upgrades.
Seems Korg is keeping up on small devices. Little bag of tricks or for on the side. And yet expanding overall into Computer apps like with korg Gadget.

Evolving. But still no where near the pace of the computer world we so often assess kronos by.

When original Kronos came out, i was interested but had to wait and then when i was near ready, i decided to wait until the next model(reading on forums about bugs and other problems) and then ended up being comfortable jumping in at Kronos 2.

If a newer Kronos came out next year, i would wait until the following generation to get a new one. Simply because i have not grown into K-2 well enough to need a new one.
I suspect that whenever i get the next generation Korg flagship, it will be the 88 like what i have now and then i would trade what i have for a more portable 61 key so as to have two keyboards at a time. First time i have ever decided i could use two boards. To solve Polyphony issues in my favorite area, Combi mode.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia wrote:
When Kronos first came out, memory was not as advanced as it is today.
SSD was not as common, usb sticks were more commonly at 8gb or so.
Now getting miniaturized USB sticks at 64gb and i think i saw 128gb and definitley 128gb sd cards last year.

Computer evolution moves faster, memory and all. Korg doesn't move as much volume as the computer industry and likely not having the R&D budget to move that fast.

1) No reason Kronos cannot come up with more onboard memory and disk space. They certainly are pushing the sound set creations beyond Kronos single load capacity. So i think the standard increased memory and disk space will be in order. Seems that more bank capacity falls right in line with that. I am actually expecting if not predicting this. Not suggesting.

2) Changes in the important internal hardware are going to come, mother board and whatever else of significance that i have no clue about. When decent internal hardware are no longer premium parts of other popular market devices, good deals to keep them manufactured for Kronos will come about and allow korg flagship to evolve affordably.

2) Affordably evolve is the key. Can't evolve at the rate of mainstream computers without the market support mainstream computers have.

1) It would be pointless to have a new Kronos with simply more RAM a faster processor, and a larger SSD.

We have had similar discussions about 50 times,I think. OS would need to be 64 bit, the linux kernel would be worked on, a host of new sounds , features , capabilities would be addressed/added.

So its not that simple.

2) This is a good discussion point. 16 meg RAM is not that ' cheap ' neither is a
500 GB SSD. Lets say $200 today for both. How much is a current strong processor CPU ?
I don't know- I will guess $250.

So , the most expensive components are $450 cost ? And we have a ways to go with power supplies, LCD's , fans, etc etc .

And then we have the keybed- arguably the most expensive part. I will wild guess $500

So the cost is not that simple to nail down and make the sales price in the range of affordability.

I don;t think its that simple. And I did not scratch the surface. As you inferred in cost of tech, they have to ' guess correctly ' that the tech has good longevity.
PatrickD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent observations!
I feel the pulse of computing power will be the only direction left, that said I loved the Oasys display. I loved the very stout look of that board and the LED lights were off the wall but at 8 grand I would have been nervous moving it anywhere as a gigging device. I thought Oasys was amazing and I knew I would never be able to afford one but KORG gave me a shot with the release of KRONOS. My son is going to purchase one after having dinked with mine. He's hooked
I have read a number of threads commenting on Kronos being old technology. Where is the competition? Where did Yamaha go Or Kurzweil Or Roland. It seems like they said we cant get near what this KRONOS thing does so we wont even try. I hope KORG doesn't quit. I love these guys! I love this forum. Thanks James I really appreciate what you built here Very Happy
CUBASE 11.5 Halion 6
musicsound

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Roland, Yamaha, etc... can join the market with a new workstation which is more competitive in terms of 64bit OS, CPU, RAM and disk space at any time.

But the most competitive advantage for the Kronos or the successor in the near future is their already available huge sound library which has been developed over the last years.

Important question:
Is Korg protected against using "their" sound libraries by competitors ?
For example, would it be possible for Yamaha to use all the Kronos sounds if they "somehow" develop an import option of Kronos files for a new workstation ?
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Is KORG still in The Evolution Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

I am going to finally get into VI's to complement my Kronos with MainStage as the host.

I will be doing the same but with Cantabile as my host, which I already use for backing track and lightshow. Will have a master keyboard as lower tier and Kronos 61 as second tier. And every soft synth I have on the laptop. Should be fun. I am also thinking of replacing my sound module/mixer flight case to get an extra 1U of space so I can get my beloved Norg G2 Engine (a modular synth in a 1U rack) back in service! I think that a Kronos, the G2 and the flexibility of VSTs will keep me going for a long time! Smile

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Is KORG still in The Evolution Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
GregC wrote:

I will be doing the same but with Cantabile as my host, which I already use for backing track and lightshow. Will have a master keyboard as lower tier and Kronos 61 as second tier. And every soft synth I have on the laptop. Should be fun. I am also thinking of replacing my sound module/mixer flight case to get an extra 1U of space so I can get my beloved Norg G2 Engine (a modular synth in a 1U rack) back in service! I think that a Kronos, the G2 and the flexibility of VSTs will keep me going for a long time! Smile

I agree. I think we can up our game, so to speak, with VI's and a good host.

I don't gig. But maybe in the near future, you can even simplify your rig with VI's. for some time I have preferred a more simple approach vs the multiple keyboard approach which we all did in the 70's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: