Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recording Volcas. Portastudio or DAW?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FunkyBreak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Recording Volcas. Portastudio or DAW? Reply with quote

Has anyone recorded their volcas using a Tascam Portastudio or a similar multitrack recorder? I'm curious if I could record a click and sync my volcas so that when I overdub everything will be in time.

Would it just be easier to get an audio interface and record using a DAW? I'd love to move away from my computer and the Tascam DP-008EX looks like it would be a great solution, but only if I can sync things up.

I'd love to hear alternatives if anyone loves their set up.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to know a bit more about your setup before I answer this.

For example, if you're running them from an independent MIDI sequencer, it shouldn't matter, should it? Run the sequencer as many times as you like, record the stems, and use an initial click or ping as a metronome to start it all up.

Are you running multiple Volcas at once? Why not just use a mixer at that point?

I'm not trying to be difficult, it's just that without more information, it's a little hard to know what your real primary challenge is.
FunkyBreak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally I would like to record overdubs in different takes and have everything locked in time. At the moment I record takes and drop them into a daw and line them up, but it's time consuming and if the volca is not synced to a clock the tempo seems to drift occasionally.

I know an audio interface with midi could do what I'm trying to do; lock the tempo and record the audio, but honestly I'd prefer to not sit at a computer and a more mobile option is enticing.

In looking at the manuals for the Tascam dp-006 and dp-008 it looks like they moniter the incoming signal so I won't be able to send a clean click to the sync of the volca unless I hard pan each signal. Not exactly ideal but I'm going to give it a try. I'd like to have a portible multitrack for recording other things as well. I will post my results if I pick one up.
Pigdog

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: recording volca Reply with quote

ive been recording straight to/with my behringer board. no matter what i do, i cannot get a listenable bass sound. it drowns everything out and sounds like shitte.
chimp_spanner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say go DAW. It might cost a little to get it all set up right but it's so worth it. I've got the Keys/FM/Bass/Beats/Sample all plugged into a Steinberg UR-44, so I have enough channels to have each Volca monitoring on its own channel with effects inside my DAW (either Cubase 9.5 or Reason 9).

I also have a MIDISport 4x4 so with that and the MIDI out on my interface, I can control all of them from my sequencer, or from pattern devices in Reason, etc.

I can also run the device patterns and have them sync to my desktop, by using my old iPad Mini with Korg SyncKontrol as a sync source, and sync'ing that to Ableton Link over my WiFi network. Which is fantastic. Best of both worlds ya know. I can sequence in my DAW, sequence on the Volcas, and it all works flawlessly.
smutek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say DAW as well. I understand the desire to get away from the computer - but if you're using it strictly as a multi-tracker then once you start recording there's no need to have any further interaction with it.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say try your click track idea - with your DAW . As a test before you get a tascam.
Easy to set up. I sync volcas,Monotribe etc with a drum sound from my ER-1. As long as its loud and correct phase. Eight pulses a bar I think. So you don't need to sample the volca click, though you can.
Once you have a sample or virtual synth kicking a pulse out, plug left or right out your computer and see if the volca works . Then maybe with some panning of your input track away from your click out- monitor and record on DAW and you will know how to do it with a multi track.
Obviously a aux or fx out on your machine would be useful when buying a multitrack, but a great way to get away from a comp screen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: