Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg performance or song book vs Yamaha Registration memory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa900/Pa3X Le
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bnyrj

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:40 am    Post subject: Korg performance or song book vs Yamaha Registration memory Reply with quote

Hi

Got my first korg keyboard... PA 900 ...Being a Yamaha user I was always using it's registration memory to quickly change the keyboard setup in a live performance. One press gives you all the required settings.... I have tried song book and found two clicks are required to get the saved settings to be loaded. .. first touch the song book entry and and then select button which is not quick as Yamahas one touch registration memory.... there is performance button in korg which allows you to quickly choose a group of sounds but not the entire keyboard settings (I am not sure about what performance option in korg exactly do... update me if something more is possible)

Read about a workaround like assigning a switch to load the next song book entry... for that we need to plan ahead what we are going to perform and order the song book entry accordingly ... but that's not the essence of live performances... we may need go back and forth or random through the saved settings...

Is there any way to achieve one touch loading of saved settings ?
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Korg performance or song book vs Yamaha Registration mem Reply with quote

bnyrj wrote:
.. Is there any way to achieve one touch loading of saved settings ? ..

If you want to select buttons to be as quick as Yamahas one touch registration memory simply use AutoSelect-Performance.

When this parameter is checked, the latest selected Performance selected in a bank is immediately selected when pressing the PERFORMANCE button corresponding to the bank. This way, you can assign your preferred Performance to each control panel’s button, and select it just with a single press.
However, the Performance Select window still appears when you press one of the PERFORMANCE buttons corresponding to the bank, so you can select a different item if desired.

As matrix of latest selected Performances you can save in setup.gbl you also can use some setup.gbls (renamed like memreg001.gbl, memreg002.gbl ...) for quick load like are doing with Yamaha memory registrations. You also need not decide between songbook and performances because both are usable are in combination.

Also you need no question Korg performance or song book vs Yamaha Registration memory - because both is inside Pa900 - Auto Select Sound only is a different name than memory registrations.

PS: In most cases within a song I also prefer Auto Select Sound - and the reason really is to first touch the song book entry and and then select button is not as quick as Auto Select Sound.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
bnyrj

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Siebenhirter for the idea and explanation.

One more thing... let's say you are playing on a particular style on variation B with piano sound. In the next bar you need to change the style and start the intro 1 and from intro you need to go the variation C of the new style with a strings sound and that time the tempo to be increased by 10 bpm and pitch to be +2.

In yamaha you will just save the new setup to a registration button and a single press will take you there...

Is it possible in Korg. Or what you explained is applicable to get the sounds only ?
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Auto Select Performance + Style Change - Pa900 Reply with quote

bnyrj wrote:
.. playing on a particular style on variation B with piano sound. In the next bar you need to change the style and start the intro 1 and from intro you need to go the variation C of the new style with a strings sound and that time the tempo to be increased by 10 bpm and pitch to be +2.

In yamaha you will just save the new setup to a registration button and a single press will take you there...

Is it possible in Korg. Or what you explained is applicable to get the sounds only ?

In Keyboards of Yamaha you have to select desired items for MEMORY GROUP SELECT to register from a list (like Song, Style, Voice, Multipad, Harmony, Tempo, Transpose ..) - so all saving and recalling Custom Panel Setups always depends globally to that Memory Group Selection.

With the pa900 you have the advantage not to be bound globally, because settings of performances are individual.

To your example - it also is possible to be DONE with Pa900 and you can do it with "AutoSelect-Performance" and active "Style Change":

take a StylePerformance starting with Intro1 using VarC with the Tempo you like (-10 bpm) to be linked with a String-Performance (pitched +2). Now use "Autoselect-Performance" (maybe last used that String-Performance in Bank "String") with "StyleChange" by single pressing button of performance bank "String" (some more variations possible with “locks” to avoid changes of selected parameters).

Now if you are playing on a particular style on variation B with piano sound and next bar you single press button "String" you start Intro1 of your new style, tempo -10bpm, going to VarC, using Strings in realtime-Tracks pitched +2.

The same you CAN NOT DO with Pa4x and AutoSelect-KbdSet, because MISSING Feature "STYLE CHANGE" - but you can do it with SET LIST of Songbook with active "Set List"-button for single pressing a button of Keyboard Set Library, linked with a Keyboard Set ( Strings, pitch +2) and a Style (-10 bpm).

As mentioned often before - for me it is a BIG LOSS that the pa4x has been OMITTED "STYLE CHANGE" - in addition to some other features (like StylePreferences, VP-Presets global only) which keep me from buying a pa4x.

The Pa4x-button "Set List" is ok, but I better would like additionally to get a button "Autoselect" for more convenient and easy use of "Single Press Buttons" for direct access of keyboard sets (Yamaha call it memory registrations).

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
bnyrj

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is this option Auto Select Performance?
bnyrj

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok i found it on the manual....will try it and let you know
bnyrj

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

What all parameters are saved with performances?

How can I save a performance with the following parameters:-

particular style variation+any desired intro
Transpose
Tempo
Sounds

If the above is possible the I will have 8 buttons same like registration memory in yamaha.

Then one bank is ok. How can I get another set of performance.

By the way if I can save a performance with all the above mentioned parameters the I think no need of buttons...

from the screen itself I can touch each of the 8 performance in one page and get my setting loaded in one touch.

Isn't it ?
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Songbook / Registration / Performance by singlepress button Reply with quote

bnyrj wrote:
.. how can I get another set of performance.

By the way if I can save a performance with all the above mentioned parameters the I think no need of buttons...

If you were willing to accept that both keyboards do not have the same data structures and settings in detail, you would recognize that Korg works with Styles (Background-Tracks, Sequences) and StylePerformances (Link to Style, but with separate parameters) and Performances (for Realtime-Tracks)

In case you want to use a particular Style for Background it is recommended to save it as a StylePerformance with parameters you want to use in combinnation with Realtime-Performance.

In case you want to to use more than one registration bank, simply save current Performance assignment (Manual 248). So you get an setup.gbl you can use as your first registration bank - copy that setup.gbl to root of your data-device, rename it to Reg001.gbl to be accessible for quick reloading. Now change your current Performance assignment you like to use in another registration bank and save again - copy that setup.gbl to root of your data-device, rename it to Reg002.gbl (do the same as often as you want an amount of registration banks).

So for one to look for what is the essence of live performances seems to be no problem to detailled handle some settings as required of a keyboards datastructure. For Live performance Korg is adjustable like memory registration of Yamaha. Songbook can be used additionally and in parallel / in combination with that memory registrations - that is the essence of a system one can personlize for his needs.

In case you think you would like not to single-press buttons but screen-touch, what are we talking about? Save your performances in one page and get as many registration-banks as you create performance-banks (320 without reloading) for direct access by screen-touch - and do not forget to activate "StyleChange" in case also background-tracks should be changed with realtime-tracks.

PS: If you stay in Custom-List of Songbook you can use six entries per page, each with 4 registrations (sts) and you can use "next" or scrollbar to use as much such entries as you prepared for usage - another kind of essence of live performances.

bnyrj

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a Yamaha user all this time I was trying to get a mostly used feature (registration memory) of yamaha in korg. But while typing the previous message one thing was going thru my mind... I am trying to get a feature of yamaha in korg... I think I need to delete yamahas structure from my mind and approach korg with a fresh mind... when I read your last message I felt like you read my mind... so I will focus on what I need to achieve on a live setup and not try to make korg work like Yamaha... Korg is fill of positivity and possibilities... I am enjoying it

Thank you siebenhirter for your time and words... I will try all what you have explained and will post the result here.... Let this thread be helpful to all those who are migrating from yamaha to korg.
bnyrj

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started working on performance. Today i activated auto select for both style and sound.

Now i have strange problem. Songbook entries i saved yesterday is recalling only the style setup and the sound remains the same. If i press any performance buttons the corresponding sonund is getting loaded as i activated the auto select. But now the songbook entry is not giving me the saved sound in it. What would be the reason?
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Korg/Yamaha - Performance/Registration Memory Reply with quote

bnyrj wrote:
... I am trying to get a feature of yamaha in korg... I think I need to delete yamahas structure from my mind and approach korg with a fresh mind... so I will focus on what I need to achieve on a live setup and not try to make korg work like Yamaha... Korg is fill of positivity and possibilities... I am enjoying it.... Let this thread be helpful to all those who are migrating from yamaha to korg...

Hope it maybe helpful, but better do not enjoy Korg or Yamaha, but enjoy what is best for your workflow you like to use. Better focus to realize on what you need to achieve on a live setup.

It does not matter trying to get a feature of yamaha in korg - once understood how to accomplish it is easy to do using AutoSelectPerformances like Registration Memories with single-press-button for direct access in most cases.

bnyrj wrote:
.. Songbook entries i saved yesterday is recalling only the style setup and the sound remains the same.

I prefer to use the term "save" for actions done with "media" (saving data external). To change data in memory of Pa900 i prefer to use the term "write" - even if terms are not used consistently in manuals and thus user always confused. If you saved a songbook before you write last entry, you loose this entry both in memory (as not written) and in safety (as saved from memory before last entry was written into memory).

If you WRITE a songbook-entry with its current resource and its STS as described in manual, each time you select this sb-entry from memory the associated Style (or SMF), STS and Pads (if present) may be recalled.

To be recalled for Realtime-Tracks does not mean to be activated, but to be read only. Solo in case you activate "Single Touch" (SINGLE TOUCH LED is lit), also STS automatically is read and activated by the selected sb-entry, otherwise Realtime-tracks are unchanged until you press one of the STS-buttons to be activated.

Each sb-entry has its own four STS - each of the STS has the same structure as a performance and means to contain all the panel settings of Realtime-Tracks as described.

PS: Seems to be you are are missing a Pa900-manual, but it is ready for download and recommended to read about basic usage, although if sometimes it is not easy to understand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa900/Pa3X Le All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: