Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SV-1 Registers Constant Low Frequency When Armed in Live 9

View previous topic :: View next topic  
retired&wired

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: SV-1 Registers Constant Low Frequency When Armed in Live 9 Reply with quote

When I assign my SV-1 to a track in Live 9 and arm it, and drag in a Spectrum Device, I see a constant frequency of approximately 5 kHz along with a decibel amount of -125 db coming from the SV-1. Obviously that is not audible, but does it indicate something is wrong with the SV-1? I am using XLR cables from the board's L and R Audio output jacks as recommended in the manual. I also tried a different audio interface. Still the signal exists.

Any help is appreciated.[/url]
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-125dB is an extremely low level and, as you say, inaudible, and certainly not indicative of a problem. What happens when the audio cables are disconnected from the SV-1's L and R audio outs? Is the signal still there? Or is it still present some seconds after the SV-1 is switched off? 5kHz is quite a high frequency. Did you mean 5Hz?

retired&wired

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, it was closer to 5Hz.

When I disconnected the output audio cables, the Spectrum display did not go blank!? The entire amplitude line dropped a little, but there was still the (still inaudible) noise.

I tested the XLR cables with a cable tester and they are fine. I tested a pair of TS cables and connected those. Same results. Noise when the SV-1 arms on any track.

I have 3 Presonus FIRESTUDIO project audio interfaces daisy chained so that it appears as a single interface to Live. So I connected the cables to a pair of inputs on all 3 interfaces and there still is noise on any pair of inputs on the interface.

When I turn the volume knob all the way off on the SV-1 there is still noise showing on the Spectrum graph.

I know that this is not a huge problem, seeing as it is inaudible, but it just doesn't seem logical since those two cables are the only audio connections to the system. Just for giggles, I disconnected the MIDI cable just is case. Its not audio but who knows what demons lurk inside this board.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to ignore it.
retired&wired

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is weird. I turned the SV-1 off, removed all attached cables, and still when I arm the audio track, the noise persists. I checked another synth connected via audio and the same noise shows on its Spectrum. I have another synth connected via TOSLINK and there is no noise on that track. So this is, hopefully, a global setting in Live dealing with audio tracks that does not affect digital inputs.

I put a spectrum meter on an audio track in Studio One 3 - connected the SV- 1 to it. No noise. Not a blip.

I guess I'll report this to Ableton. Maybe I don't understand how to set up the Spectrum in Live.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-125dB (assumed relative to max signal, because it has to be relative to something) is an extremely low level and, from the information provided, is seems likely to be entering the digital domain inside the Firestudio interfaces themselves, rather than Ableton.

To put it in context, it's something like seeing the rightmost digit on a 7 digit multimeter flickering between 0 to 1 i.e. nanovolts. The thermal noise across a 600 ohm resistor at room temperature is 3nV in a 1Hz bandwidth.

The 24bit A/D converters on the Presonus have (only) 114dB dynamic range, so it is below the levels those can resolve, and it's inaudible.

Have another beer and just enjoy making the music :-)

retired&wired

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said, "seems likely to be entering the digital domain inside the Firestudio interfaces themselves, rather than Ableton. ".

I am using the Firestudio interfaces for both Daws, so why would the interfaces act differently in different Daws? Anything is possible, but I am not running any software outside the Daws to configure the interfaces so the settings in the interfaces are exactly the same for each Daw.

I did report this to Ableton. I'll post their reply when I get it.

Thanks again. I appreciate the input.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: