Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos keys noises

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Kronos keys noises Reply with quote

Hello there,

I would like to know if anyone gets bothered by the noises produced by the keyboard keys themselves ?

Indeed, when I'm playing a low or a middle volume level, the sounds created by the keys themselves are louder than the sound I want to play ! It's really disturbing. It's easy to observe when playing the keyboard off.
Akdmeh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

61, 73 or 88-key version?

I have such problem too with by X-61
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akdmeh wrote:
61, 73 or 88-key version?

I have such problem too with by X-61

Oh, sorry, I didn't specify : I get a 73 notes Kronos.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't a keyboard with moving keys out there that doesn't make some mechanical sounds. Even the best quality acoustic pianos do. The keyboard noise can be quite pronounced on YouTube videos where the sound has been recorded using a microphone rather than using the Line outs.

Have a look at this video at around the 15:50 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNegsMdqHUg

If quietness is required, the Roli Seaboard is almost silent when played, but then its construction is very different, and so is the playing style. The keys don't move, as such, and the playing surface is more of a soft rubber membrane. It is class compliant so will act as a MIDI controller when plugged into one of the Kronos USB-A connectors.

Last edited by voip on Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
pete.m

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Liviou,

If the sound of the keys is as loud as that - at low volume, let alone medium volume - I would say that there is something seriously wrong with your Kronos. I've never played a synth that does that, and certainly not the Kronos. Hope you manage to sort it out...
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I service Digital Pianos and this is a common complaint. On an acoustic piano, you cannot turn the volume of the sound down. Thus, the sound masks the mechanical noise which IS present. On any digital, you can turn the sound down so low that the mechanical noise can be heard easily.

My experience is that once heard, it becomes a problem as the customer begins to focus on it more.

However, there can be an actual problem and you must determine if it is normal or not. For example, as a keybed is played, certain cushions and felts begin to wear. They can be worn to a point of increasing the noise level. An easy test is to compare the keys played most (in the middle) to keys on the extreme ends that don't get played that much. If it is the same, then it's likely normal. If there is a big difference, then you have some wear going on.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
There isn't a keyboard with moving keys out there that doesn't make some mechanical sounds. Even the best quality acoustic pianos do. The keyboard noise can be quite pronounced on YouTube videos where the sound has been recorded using a microphone rather than using the Line outs.

Have a look at this video at around the 15:50 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNegsMdqHUg

If quietness is required, the Roli Seaboard is almost silent when played, but then its construction is very different, and so is the playing style. The keys don't move, as such, and the playing surface is more of a soft rubber membrane. It is class compliant so will act as a MIDI controller when plugged into one of the Kronos USB-A connectors.

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your response. I can hear exactly the same thing as at 2:39. And the sound of David seems to be even higher than me perhaps because it's Kronos 1.
It's reassure me. As I said, the most important is knowing that it is not my kronos issue. Thanks again.

Quote:
I service Digital Pianos and this is a common complaint. On an acoustic piano, you cannot turn the volume of the sound down. Thus, the sound masks the mechanical noise which IS present. On any digital, you can turn the sound down so low that the mechanical noise can be heard easily.

My experience is that once heard, it becomes a problem as the customer begins to focus on it more.

However, there can be an actual problem and you must determine if it is normal or not. For example, as a keybed is played, certain cushions and felts begin to wear. They can be worn to a point of increasing the noise level. An easy test is to compare the keys played most (in the middle) to keys on the extreme ends that don't get played that much. If it is the same, then it's likely normal. If there is a big difference, then you have some wear going on.

Geo

Thank you Geo,
Yes it sounds the same on the middle as on the extreme keys.

Quote:
If the sound of the keys is as loud as that - at low volume, let alone medium volume - I would say that there is something seriously wrong with your Kronos. I've never played a synth that does that, and certainly not the Kronos. Hope you manage to sort it out...

Since we can hear the sound I'm speaking about in the video linked by "voip" above, I suppose it's the normal keyboard noise produced by the Kronos.
Thank you.
Schmooster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weighted keys are inherently noisy by design, but I agree from listening to vids of the 73 and 88 they DO sound clunky on the Kronos. However - there's 'Weighted' keys, and 'Keys with stronger springs' to simulate weight - I guess the noise is worth having properly 'weighted' in the true sense of the meaning than 'Harder to press due to a spring'.
The 61 is a joy to play. I'm not a pianist although I started out on piano - but you just can't arpeggiate or slide those keys the same without chipping bone - I can't, I should say. They definitely don't work on organ solos - and I hate people calling my keyboards 'organs' lol. "Oh hey, you play the organ don't you"? Not the one you're thinking of Miss - and the wife, 'Do you really need all these organs'? Ask my GP hun cos I can't afford a fekkin organ! You should be grateful these aren't organs cos you n the kids would need to move house x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: