Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which has the better sound...the Kronos or the Pa900?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa900/Pa3X Le
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marka3459

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Which has the better sound...the Kronos or the Pa900? Reply with quote

I know this is a matter of taste but I'd like the opinions of other members.Which synth has the better overall sounds,the Kronos or the Pa900?..I've played both and the both have very realistic sounds but come up short in other areas..example the banjo on the kronos is so much better than the Pa900,and so on..any thoughts?
Eduardo_Arg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marka

No comparision is possible, they are different keyboards.-
Kronos is a workstation with 9 engine sounds.-
Pa900 is a arranger with only on engine.-
Kronos is the best keyboard ever made, thats the reason you said banjo sounds realistic.- Just for your information, Kronos Grand Piano uses 4.7 gb of non loop samples.- (something impossible to get on PA900).-
Hopping this helps you.
Eduardo
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also possible that the banjo on the Kronos was using the STR-1 engine?

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the Kronos nor the PA900, but rather Oasys and PA3Xle. The Oasys has more accurate static sound emulations but the performance devices and elements on the PA3Xle allow for more realistic "real" instrument recreations. Now, the Oasys can deliver real accurate "real" instrument impressions by spending some time developing them. Having more sound engines allows for much more flexibility in the Oasys than the PA3Xle. The PA3Xle is set up to deliver realistic "real" instrument impressions right at the get go. If you want to get a "full band" sound up and running quickly it is your instrument. Its limitations are in re-creating complex evolving Synth sounds. The Oasys effects capabilities are also more well rounded. Using the two instruments in concert with each other works well in the studio, but so far, has proved clumsy on stage. I prefer using the PA3Xle by itself in live situations. For what I do, it works very well in that element. That is its strength.

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
Eduardo_Arg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nitecrawler:

It's pleasant someone preserv a uses "the oldest beast": Oasys.-
Unfortunatly i live on a country where some things never come or, if it comes, it's price is out of normal people capabilities.- So as i could not buy Oasys i use for nearly 4 years M3, the son of Oasys.- Fortunatly i sold it and bought Kronos 2.-
About what you mention on your post, you are right when you said pa3xle "recreates" realistic sounds with important limitations basically because in comparision with Kronos PA3Xle lacks of memory capacity to handle a big wave form sample.- Another reason is the different sound engine; while PA3xle have's EDS (standard not EDSi), Kronos have's nine: SGX2 for accoustic pianos, EP-1 for electric pianos, CX3 for organs, HD1 - MS20 - Polisyx - AL-1 - MOD-7 all of them for synths and pads and PCM management, and a dedicated STR-1 for accoust instruments.- This specific wave samples it ten thousand times better than PCM (PCM is the core of EDS engine).-
I agree with that for and speed up composing, PA3xl3 is the right choice.- But for purist of sound, KRONOS is in a high level.- This is only taking in count sound engines.- Electronic is also different between both keyboards.- Audio out of KRONOS is high grade, PA3xle NO.-
A point you don't mention and i experiment with nice results is the keybed: PA3xLe have a really nice keybed; a technician told me that is equal to Fatar one, which is really better that Kronos NH1.-
On stage i use both keyboards, PA3xle as a controller of Kronos 88.-
You are right its a heavy duty by the time of mounting both, but centainly less that allocating PA.-
The best is having both keyboards but i suppose MARKA 3459 don't have enough money.- In that case and if he or she needs buying a decent keyboard i agree with you PA3xle is the best invest.-
WIth regards.
Eduardo
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eduardo,

I got a laugh reading your comment about the price of the Oasys. It did cost the equivalent of a fairly new used car. Shocked

By the way, +1, I do agree with you and your analysis. Especially the quality of the keybed feel. I know, it is rather subjective, but I do like it on the PA3Xle.

Eric

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
Eduardo_Arg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nitecrawler:

Don't feel surprise.- Here prices climbs like if they were in the Everest.-
By the time i bought M3, Oasys - only on request - cost U$S 9.500 I bought M3M (only module) for U$S 3.750.-
Last year i bought Kronos 2 88 for U$S 4.950.-
I see that on USA prices are substancially lower.-
Recently my guitarman bought at Sweetwater a Fender Strato 60th Annyversary (new) at U$S 1.550.- Here at the same time it costs U$S 3.100.-
Here taxes are very heavy and approved merchant encrease prices winning up to 40%, so those who could travel can get better prices everywhere.-
The only stuff is here at the same price or less is food.-
Well friend. Have a nice day.
Eduardo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa900/Pa3X Le All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: