Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What cables will I need to connect the Korg Kronos to an amp

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benjaminisaacs95

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: What cables will I need to connect the Korg Kronos to an amp Reply with quote

Here's the amp I have in mind, it's all I can afford

http://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-and-Pianos/Roland-KC-150-Keyboard-Amp/886
tomto66

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Std mono 6mm jack/jack cable will do the job!
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd be far better off with two small active PA speakers, then you could run in stereo with a full frequency range; for example, the Kronos pianos sound MUCH better in stereo...there are a number of small active PA speakers that cost less than $200 each, for example the Behringer B208D - around $180 (in the USA), 220 watts, built-in EQ, lots of volume / bass response, etc...I've used a pair of these for a few years in small-to-medium sized rooms, for Kronos and vocals, and people are surprised that so much (good) sound can come from such small speakers....

df
mikeyd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of those and promptly returned it. It distorted terribly with (at the time my Triton Studio and a Motif 7) and I don't think it'd handle the KRONOS. Its as you know, very powerful on both the highs and lows. You didn't really say what you'd be using it for but if it's just for home use, practice only, or monitoring while going through a PA it might serve your purpose. I know you're on a budget but as suggested there may be other options. I think only the high end Roland amps could handle the KRONOS. But I'd be interested to hear from others that may have used the KC 150. I use a Barbetta but when performing with others run through the PA.
Http://www.barbetta.com. Good luck with your quest!
pete.m

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If money is tight, you could also take a look at Gumtree or eBay and pick up some bargains. I agree that stereo is the way to go, if you can. Keep doing your research, and something good will come up.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't buy that Roland.... it's horrible. All those KC amps are terrible.....

WOW it's $500 that is crazy.
Get 2 Carvin power speakers or
1 EV ZXL12p
or 2 Behringer Eurolive B112D
or 1 used QSC 10 or 12
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't do the Roland KC. Especially not the little 150. I had the 350 with Triton Extrme and it had distortion issues. Kronos sound quality and dynamics are too good to waste on a KC 150. If the 350 distorted, the 150 is barely going to handle.
You may have better luck with the biggest KC model but that is the most expensive.
PA options are better and easy to get a worthwhile one for the same price you showed. Even a used PA set. Kronos sound dynamics are too good to waste on a single speaker setup. Get a 2 speaker PA system if you want to go cheap.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used headphones and saved until I could get a QSC K10, then added a second, stereo, so much more fun. But that said I still use headphones more then the speakers.
GRISWOLD3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For live I have 2-Elx112P powered PA speakers & also a Spacestation v3.

At home I use 2-Maudio Bx5 powered monitors. These sound fantastic for the Kronos in a small room & can be had for about $200/ pair if you shop around.
navydave

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a ZLX-15P. I think they are on sale most places right now. I have one. Sounds really nice. Lighter than and amp and more power.
Bitflipper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad you're in the UK...I have a pair of KC-350s sitting here gathering dust that I'd let go for cheap! Really cheap.

I went with a powered PA as suggested by dfarhner and others here, and it was the best move I ever made. I did have to buy a little mixer as well, but now I'm able to use balanced connections plus it's got built-in reverb/chorus/delay that have proven surprisingly useful. And, if ever it's necessary, I can even use it as a PA.

The improvement over those old Rolands was night and day! I have more fun on stage because I'm not wincing every time my amps get shrill and nasty at high volume.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see anyone really answer your immediate question but you can use guitar cables to connect to an amp. It's what I use and they work fine. Just get decent ones.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Bitflipper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, if your amplification features balanced inputs, you'll want to use balanced (TRS or TRS-to-XLR) cables. Might as well take advantage of the fact that the Kronos provides balanced outputs, especially if you have to run cables for any distance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: