Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nord Stage 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Nord Stage 3 Reply with quote

Check out the new Nord Stage 3 , youtube video's and specs in the link..

http://keyszone.boards.net/thread/221/nord-stage-3

Its the most intrigueing keyboard brand i never owned..
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one of those things that's amazing if you're a live band player in need of traditional sounds. For other purposes there are cheaper and better things.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
It's one of those things that's amazing if you're a live band player in need of traditional sounds. For other purposes there are cheaper and better things.

I think theinterface is incredible intuitive... in it down wit a nord stage a few times, and it was just fun making music, adapting the sound slowly to your needs..

It doesnt come close to the Kronos however, for options and diversity..

Currently it has 2 organ, 2 piano, 2 synth channels... for my needs, there should have been 4 synth channels..
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no doubt that it has many limita, but the point/strength of the Nord is not in programming complex patches or layers, it's indeed in the interface. It's not just that it is intuitive (actually it took me a little while to figure everything out initially) but that it's fast. It's ideal for jam sessions or bands where there's a little more room to add an impromptu phaser or wah to your Rhodes solo halfway in.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

“Expanded Memory (480 MB)”
“We have doubled the Piano memory from 1 to 2GB”

A true sign that Keyboard manufactures are living in the past.

An iPad and €100 to spend on the App Store and you would be far better off.

Sharp.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it wouldn't sound like a Nord. Razz
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:

Perfect.
Bread and butter sounds are bad for you. It's best to have a varied diet. Very Happy
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
“Expanded Memory (480 MB)”
“We have doubled the Piano memory from 1 to 2GB”

A true sign that Keyboard manufactures are living in the past.

An iPad and €100 to spend on the App Store and you would be far better off.

Sharp.

Well, you could allways controll the ipad with the Nord... but then, to my knowledge is one of the worst keyboards for controlling 3rd party instrument...

You have exactly one knob, to which you can assign a CC...
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice that they finally have seamless switching and set list mode (after even Yamaha got that far with the Montage), though 6 years after the Kronos it's rather "better late than never" than anything remarkable. What musicians like about the Nord stage are some sounds and the simplified direct access UI approach for live use.

But with small sample space, still without velocity layers and release sample possibilities, with fixed splitpoints on the keyboard, still close to zero master keyboard functionality, and still small screens (compare what other actual hardware like the MPC Live touch screen delivers) - and all these limitations at the price of a full blown actual workstation (as far as I heard even some hundred bucks more than the already overpriced predecessor)??? That's an even even worse price-value relation than the already bad enough one of Yamaha's Montage.

In a way Sharp is right: Pianos, EPs, other sampled sounds and synths (PLUS a variety of first class drum boxes and sequencers) are available in equal sound quality and much more variety on any actual iPad, at a fraction of the price (including an iPad Pro, controllers, and app prices). Only the Clavia B3 still has an edge over iPad B3 sounds (Galileo organ and sampled organs), and the unified NordStage UI is better for live use than any iPad solution.

Still: while the Nord Stage 3 still is a practical live keyboard with it's upsides, and there are Nord fans out there who will still buy it, to me the price value relation meanwhile simply has become nothing short of bizarre. I would never even consider buying something like that at that price.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:

Perfect.
Bread and butter sounds are bad for you. It's best to have a varied diet. Very Happy

It all depends what kind of gigs you do. For many players the Stage is the perfect instrument in many ways.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
It's nice that they finally have seamless switching and set list mode (after even Yamaha got that far with the Montage), though 6 years after the Kronos it's rather "better late than never" than anything remarkable. What musicians like about the Nord stage are some sounds and the simplified direct access UI approach for live use.

But with small sample space, still without velocity layers and release sample possibilities, with fixed splitpoints on the keyboard, still close to zero master keyboard functionality, and still small screens (compare what other actual hardware like the MPC Live touch screen delivers) - and all these limitations at the price of a full blown actual workstation (as far as I heard even some hundred bucks more than the already overpriced predecessor)??? That's an even even worse price-value relation than the already bad enough one of Yamaha's Montage.

In a way Sharp is right: Pianos, EPs, other sampled sounds and synths (PLUS a variety of first class drum boxes and sequencers) are available in equal sound quality and much more variety on any actual iPad, at a fraction of the price (including an iPad Pro, controllers, and app prices). Only the Clavia B3 still has an edge over iPad B3 sounds (Galileo organ and sampled organs), and the unified NordStage UI is better for live use than any iPad solution.

Still: while the Nord Stage 3 still is a practical live keyboard with it's upsides, and there are Nord fans out there who will still buy it, to me the price value relation meanwhile simply has become nothing short of bizarre. I would never even consider buying something like that at that price.

just a casual observer here.

Nord owners are a niche. ( call it a cult to be politically incorrect). Clavia understands their niche and is feeding it, carefully grooming their brand , generating enthusiasm , getting more sales. and its always about new sales, at the end of the day.

whats the cost of this thing ? $4000 ? $3000 ? I can't imagine dropping a big chunk of change on this. If I was wealthy, gigging successfully every week end, maybe.

Heck, you can use MainStage and a midi controller and come fairly close with bread/butter sounds.

So I am outside the niche of Nord.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what you call a niche. The brand is pretty ubiquitous in live bands, especially if you consider the Electro and Stage to be two sides of the same coin.

FWIW I think Nord has improved their pianos tremendously over the last few generations. The fact that they managed this with sample memory so much smaller than the Kronos is a point in favor rather than against them. In a way the Kronos is a brute force approach - sample every note in its entirety and it should be good. That's not the way a piano works though, and the Nord sounds more alive to me in many ways, using string resonance and sympathetic resonance in a better way than Kronos does.

I agree with Jim's general point that they're overpriced, however they're the only ones who've gone completely for the live interface with high quality sounds. They can ask whatever they want, basically, and plenty of players (including many professionals) tired of menu diving and looking for great piano, rhodes and organ sounds will still buy them. In a way it's the iPad of the keyboard world.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
It depends on what you call a niche. The brand is pretty ubiquitous in live bands, especially if you consider the Electro and Stage to be two sides of the same coin.

lets try #'s.

How many units did Clavia sell of the Stage model in 2016 and 2015 ?

I noticed no one has gotten around to posting the prices of the new Stage models.

Maybe price is not a big deal Wink
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea, I just see them everywhere. I owned one too.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I have no idea, I just see them everywhere. I owned one too.

Clavier is a co based in Sweden ?

I can see them being very strong in Netherlands, Germany.

They have a good following in US, the largest potential market.
But I also see many Motifs, Yamahas , Korg, etc. in the US

I like to quantify ' everywhere '

I dug up the cost of the new Stage, largest model. $4400 US

Seems premium price esp compared to a Roland RD2000 stage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: