Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Kronos 2 Touch Screen not working?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bladerunner2125

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Korg Kronos 2 Touch Screen not working? Reply with quote

I am at the moment about to purchase a Korg Kronos 2 that is outwardly in great condition, apparently just one owner, when I first went to view it the seller had just not tested it fully, had just given it a dust off through lack of use, however the Touchscreen didn't work at all, the display screen underneath seems to be fine and the scroll wheel is moving over the icons without a problem?

I am banking on this problem being worst case scenario a new Touch Screen from Korg which I have already priced up and I am capable of replacing even though I know its a major dismantle job.

What I would like to know is does anyone know if this Touchscreen problem could actually be anything more than just the Touchscreen, could it be the controller board, or even just a driver issue, you do not seem to be able to reset the Kronos via the keys everything seems to be dependent on the Touchscreen, since I have not purchased this keyboard yet I would like opinions on possible causes and cures for the inactive Touchscreen?

Dale
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to get response on a working touch screen even if not calibrated to your touch. Just touch it with various pressure input to see which works. That is of course if the touch calibration setting is the issue.
If you ever get any touch response at all, use it to go to Global mode and set the touch calibration to your touch.

Just covering the basics for elimination process.

If calibration is not the case, then turning the keyboard off, waiting 10 or more full seconds and then turning it back on may reset it if the issue was a common system crash. Crashes happen even on the best equipment, it is just a matter of software.

If turning it on and off again does not work, you can also try a full restore with the CD rom that comes from the factory, if still available. But you mention that restoration requires touch screen input....

Thats as much as i can offer. If you have covered this already, hold on a bit for better comments.

Good luck, i had a screen replaced on a Korg product before, but not Kronos. The screen on the Korg D3200 long ago was where all the action happened, using a mouse toggle to guide an onscreen arrow for point and click commands.
Without that, no work could be done. Easy and cheap replacement on that though.

Good luck, i hope you are getting a good deal for having to work out the problems.
Bladerunner2125

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 19naia

Having priced up the touchscreen replacement direct from Korg UK I feel I am getting a reasonable deal if a Touchscreen is all that I will need? if its more than a touchscreen then things take on a whole different aspect which I have not budgeted for really.

Since reloading the operating system requires touchscreen input this will not be possible from what I can gather, you would think that Korg might have introduced a key only reset procedure if the Touchscreen had stopped working, but this does not seem to be available?

I turned off the Kronos and allowed it to reboot on 3 occasions but to no avail.

Has of yet the Kronos is not in my hands and may not ever be if I cannot be certain that I can repair, or reset the device to a fully working condition.

Dale
tomto66

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if this is too trivial, but one never knows: you know the Kronos touch screen is resistive, not capacitive like on modern tablets? Resistive means you have to press fairly hard in order for touch to register; just putting a finger on the screen won't register as a touch. Are you sure you pressed hard enough? Try a pencil perhaps?

Reason for posting this is that the Kronos touch screens are pretty reliable; it seems a bit unlikely to me that a K2 screen (which in worst case is only about 2 years old) would be dysfunctional. But that's not to say it's impossible.

Good luck!
Bladerunner2125

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomto66

I and the seller tried everything and nothing seemed to work the screen was just unresponsive, he said he hadn't used it in a while, when I did a search online most of the posts seemed to be about the M3 screen, which is puzzling because you think you might find problems with the first Kronos releases from 2011 so its not a common problem, if only Korg had built a key press system reset procedure into the Kronos, and even a self test function would have been useful?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bladerunner2125 wrote:
Thanks 19naia

Having priced up the touchscreen replacement direct from Korg UK I feel I am getting a reasonable deal if a Touchscreen is all that I will need? if its more than a touchscreen then things take on a whole different aspect which I have not budgeted for really.

Since reloading the operating system requires touchscreen input this will not be possible from what I can gather, you would think that Korg might have introduced a key only reset procedure if the Touchscreen had stopped working, but this does not seem to be available?

I turned off the Kronos and allowed it to reboot on 3 occasions but to no avail.

Has of yet the Kronos is not in my hands and may not ever be if I cannot be certain that I can repair, or reset the device to a fully working condition.

Dale

you don't say anything about the K2 booting up and if the LCD is displaying normal details.

I am not a fan of ' bargains ' like this. For all the $$ you might be spending, I would get facts. Its possible the seller is not giving you the full story. Where did he buy it ? For example .

There is 1 poster here who ran a service co for some years. If he replies , you have an Internet qualified answer.

From a DIY viewpoint, you might consider removing the bottom cover to make sure the RAM is firmly seated. You might luck out if thats the cause- but its a long shot.

Otherwise, you should call the local Korg service center to get the facts behind LCD replacement . I don't believe LCD replacement is such an easy DIY on the Kronos. If its mobo replacement thats also expensive.
Bladerunner2125

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC

The seller tells me he has had it from new, the display screen underneath the touchscreen is working because the scroll wheel is moving the icon selector around the screen and the keyboard is responding to key presses, no sign of any damage, its a mystery right now, I can replace the Touchscreen its difficult as in the Kronos needs dismantling and the touchscreen needs to have heat applied to it to remove it from the display screen but right now I am kinda cooling off on the purchase because if its a motherboard issue then that could be an expensive repair?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bladerunner2125 wrote:
GregC

The seller tells me he has had it from new, the display screen underneath the touchscreen is working because the scroll wheel is moving the icon selector around the screen and the keyboard is responding to key presses, no sign of any damage, its a mystery right now, I can replace the Touchscreen its difficult as in the Kronos needs dismantling and the touchscreen needs to have heat applied to it to remove it from the display screen but right now I am kinda cooling off on the purchase because if its a motherboard issue then that could be an expensive repair?

this is not clear;

" display screen underneath the touchscreen is working because the scroll wheel is moving the icon selector"

The Kronos boots up to Setlist . When we spin or advance the Scroll Dial for SetList, it settles on individual programs and combis 16 per page.

Does it perform this exactly and does each Program and combi play ?

Does each Mode button respond ? There are 6 mode buttons above the numbered keypad. Does the LCD fail to accept touch in each mode ?

You should be aware the Kronos is not designed to be user repairable. There are folks that like the DIY challenge . More complex repairs should be left for experienced and knowledgeable individuals with access to parts.

Anyway, if the K2 is less than 1 yr old maybe even less than 2 yrs, the factory warranty would apply.

It seems odd that the original seller did not consider taking it in for warranty service.

Think about it.
Bladerunner2125

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC

The Kronos boots up to the Set List screen and the scroll wheel moves the highlighter around the screen, pressing the global key button brings up another screen but obviously nothing can be pressed, we were trying to get to the Touchscreen calibration, one thing I recall the seller mentioning was he had just dusted the screen off prior to my arriving to view it, said he had used a cleaning cloth and possibly a cleaning agent to dust off and clean the screen he even suggested after our failed attempts at trying to get the screen to work that possibly his cleaning of the screen had caused the problem? I didn't at the time think this would be the cause but I am beginning to wonder?

I have repaired around eight MS2000 synths over the last few years that had the MPU to DSP error this is quite an involved repair you just need to be careful and have soldering skills, a Kronos screen replacement is not as involved as that and would not require soldering, just heat being applied to the outer edges to remove the Touchscreen, I spoke to Korg UK last week and they said that the repair kit would be around £80 including postage, so not a massive amount but right now I have a feeling that I could fit a new screen and still have no touch response?

Seller said its just over a year old and he just told me he has the original receipt, so has to be genuine?
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a repair expert but as far as I understand, the display/touchscreen is hooked up to the mobo via a simple USB connection. If you're getting video, it seems the USB port is not broken. If it's a "driver" thing (though I don't see how) it seems like a full reinstall of the OS should fix it. So in my mind, the only piece of hardware that could possibly be at fault is the touch panel but I would still try a few software solutions first. Namely calibration and OS reinstall.
Bladerunner2125

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander

Everything to do with the OS installation seems to be dependent upon the Touch screen working, Korg have it seems not included a Key option to reset the operating system, I am picking the keyboard up later this evening will post back here with my findings?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bladerunner2125 wrote:
SanderXpander

Everything to do with the OS installation seems to be dependent upon the Touch screen working, Korg have it seems not included a Key option to reset the operating system, I am picking the keyboard up later this evening will post back here with my findings?

I think what you need is some type of system/internal diagnostic check.

Some procedure that goes in and tests the LCD for full functionality.

I don't believe the OS DVD's that we have cover that. They are for " data " and there is a Linux boot loader.

The Kronos does have some type of service access panel via software. I don't have that secret handshake.

It sounds like this K2 has a bum LCD. Or possibly the prior owner dropped the K2 and shook something loose.

If it were me, I would get the purchase receipt from the guy, get his date of purchase and from where. Then see where you are with warranty coverage.

To me, getting those facts might be a good option.
Bladerunner2125

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC

Yes having some form of internal diagnostic test would have been less of a lottery, Iv'e repaired several MS2000 synths with the MPU to DSP error and even they have a simple self test function by holding the Mod Key and Patch Key 3 together then turn the synth on, you would have thought the Top workstation Korg make, might also have a diagnostic function?

The seller did seem very genuine I asked him about had if it had ever been dropped and he said no, and looking over the keyboard again today it looked immaculate no damage or scratches it doesn't look used at all, the LCD works fine its just the Touch screen mounted on top of it does not respond in any way at all.

I now have the keyboard and the original receipt, comes with the Manual and the 3 x DVDs.

The seller said he called the retailer about the problem but they were not very helpful?

Its just over 12 months old according to the receipt and its never been registered online.

Since I have the restore DVDs I am wondering if trying a full SSD format and restore might work?
jones

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My touch screen went dead recently, same as yours, but a reboot fixed it.
Bladerunner2125

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject: Its Working! Reply with quote

jones

The seller and I actually rebooted the K2 three times to try to get the screen to respond without success last week when I was originally going to buy it off him.

Odd thing happened just now though on first powering up the K2 the Touchscreen is now working perfectly, it responds all over the screen, I did travel 20 miles with it in the boot maybe the speed bumps jolted it into life, will have to see if it keeps working after several reboots.

Bit of a mystery what is happening here?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: